BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

As it says in the article, this presenter review looks to be the BBC's way of giving itself cover and finally bringing the five of them back into the news channel

It also mentions Christian Fraser seems to be the latest presenter with concerns about the merged channel. Let's hope he doesn't end up following Yalda out of the door
[-] The following 11 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, Brekkie, harshy, interestednovice, Jeff, matthieu1221, News76, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News

Strange on the global feed where Americans could potentially be watching this news conference about hurricane idalia, they decide to break away to show an episode of click, but kept it going on the Uk feed.
[-] The following 9 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, GMc, Independent, interestednovice, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Part of me wonders why they didn’t just stick with the existing World News strands. Less upheaval for international viewers, looks like a refresh for domestic viewers, rather than the current branded shows that are really just the same as each other.

There’s definitely a feeling that we aren’t getting the best out of the big five presenters. They have five extremely talented communicators, up there with the best of the lead anchors elsewhere.

Are we now watching the final product? I feel the branded shows should be network bulletin standard.

(30-08-2023, 11:17 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  As it says in the article, this presenter review looks to be the BBC's way of giving itself cover and finally bringing the five of them back into the news channel
I suspect they weren’t counting on having to make so many presenters redundant, instead assuming savings could be had by persuading the unsuccessful applicants to accept the presenter-correspondent roles.

If they continue to keep the five on their existing salaries, while also adding Clive, Jane, Reeta and Ben to the network overhead, their on-screen talent savings will be relatively modest, you’d think.

(30-08-2023, 12:54 PM)House Wrote:  If they continue to keep the five on their existing salaries, while also adding Clive, Jane, Reeta and Ben to the network overhead, their on-screen talent savings will be relatively modest, you’d think.
True, but the savings that come from cutting presenters were always going to be modest - it's a tiny fraction of the previous channels' budgets.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, House, Nige, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

They are sending out the bbc news at one bulletin with bbc London branded lower straps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • chrisherald

Someone seems to have forgotten to change the graphics template, the News at One going out with BBC London branded straps (on BBC One feed, not the NC feed).

Also a post-titles pan shot I've not yet seen, camera starting from the main tower then moving towards Ben at the explainer/weather screen.

EDIT: At roughly 1:25pm the straps were changed back to BBC News.
[-] The following 3 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83

(30-08-2023, 11:17 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  As it says in the article, this presenter review looks to be the BBC's way of giving itself cover and finally bringing the five of them back into the news channel

It also mentions Christian Fraser seems to be the latest presenter with concerns about the merged channel. Let's hope he doesn't end up following Yalda out of the door
The article mentions they've been having to use freelancers due to these five presenters being unavailable on screen (though still being paid), so presumably that's been fairly costly.

In my opinion, one of the aspects of the merger that's made reasonable sense is having overnights from Washington and Singapore. I seem to recall reading that UK staff working overnights had additional time off due to night working, and I assume may have also been paid I higher rate for those hours compared to daytime hours. Pre-merger in the UK those hours were already a simulcast of World News, so I don't think UK viewers are any worse off due to that change.

The launch of "single story streams" was presumably an expansion of the website live feeds. However, in general I don't think using these for UK opt-out has enhanced the channel for UK viewers. Probably the biggest issue is during these opts no other news stories seem to get mentioned. Potentially this could be resolved/improved by having the ticker working and showing at least 5 top headlines. Maybe also the occasional pushback every half hour for a couple minutes to display the headlines and summary on the right of the screen.

I'd like to hope the review will conclude that there isn't sufficient UK content/opt-outs during 9am to 6pm weekdays. It's reasonable to assume that someone high up is already having doubts over the 5Live simulcast, with it's TV coverage being reduced to an hour.

I know I've mentioned it before but a few hopefully low cost improvements could be made as follows...
1. Better use of the ticker, as currently it's displaying 3 headlines and often nothing. I'd suggest 5 Global headlines, followed by at least 3 UK specific headlines. Crucially it would need to work all the time, including during UK opt-outs. I dare say with they might even be able to use an RSS feed or similar from the BBC News website for this (though might need to be able to filter out / reword some headlines). At least this way if they're focusing on only one or two news items we could read what else is happening.

2. Replace the 'Around the UK' 90sec(?) filler with a summary of UK nations headlines. This could be pre-recorded by any reporter from a static camera somewhere within the newsroom or the balcony. Whilst this would probably require someone to update it every couple of hours, it would be more informative than a seemingly single random regional(?) news item.

3. Reinstate a few pre-recorded programmes into the back half-hours during weekday daytimes for World viewers, similar to pre-merger scheduling. Then during these programmes UK viewers could receive news coverage that has a notable UK focus.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(30-08-2023, 11:54 AM)harshy Wrote:  Strange on the global feed where Americans could potentially be watching this news conference about hurricane idalia, they decide to break away to show an episode of click, but kept it going on the Uk feed.
Perhaps Click has a commercial sponsor on the global feed and there is a contractual requirement to show it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

(30-08-2023, 01:24 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Perhaps Click has a commercial sponsor on the global feed and there is a contractual requirement to show it.

I don’t think it does, the only time I’ve seen sponsorship is the weather and The travel show, but I don’t think Click is sponsored.

(30-08-2023, 12:25 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Part of me wonders why they didn’t just stick with the existing World News strands. Less upheaval for international viewers, looks like a refresh for domestic viewers, rather than the current branded shows that are really just the same as each other.

There’s definitely a feeling that we aren’t getting the best out of the big five presenters. They have five extremely talented communicators, up there with the best of the lead anchors elsewhere.

Are we now watching the final product? I feel the branded shows should be network bulletin standard.

Yeah I have no idea why they can’t play out Impact, Global, Live with admittably the latter was the newest and not as well established but I don’t understand why they replaced established branded shows with these mediocre barely different programmes, even Maryam wasn’t enthusiastic today, she didn’t even mention that whole three hour thing.
[-] The following 7 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, fatal paper cut, Independent, Quantum+83, UTVLifer