BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

What was being said about the BBC News app in that programme? Has the new app been rolled out to more users recently?

(02-09-2023, 02:02 AM)harshy Wrote:  Wow its so bad, and no one got rid of the flipper so you couldnt see the NEWS bit underneath either, its just so bad, can it get any worse...

Unfortunately it probably will, and they will just ignore our opinion and make the next set of un-original and boring titles. The merge wasnt worth it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Hemsright's post:
  • AndrewP, harshy, News76, Quantum+83

(31-08-2023, 11:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The point is though the current channel isn't scheduled around what the viewer may want through the day.  It shouldn't be the case but sadly is.   

Would be interesting to know what an hour of Rafio 4 or 5Live news costs in comparison to an hour of news channel content.
Isn't radio cheaper than TV? From behind the scenes videos, there seems to be fewer behind the scenes staff for radio than on TV.

Based on what I've seen (and correct me if I'm wrong), France Info regularly has televised radio programming and they have strong collaboration between TV and radio. This could be a model for the BBC's UK audience if it's within budget. Televised radio isn't popular but there's no money for a separate UK news channel and there seems to be not enough funding to do what was done in 2015 or even 2022, and it's clear the current frankenstein also does not work either. Otherwise it's just World News and absolutely no UK feed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Independent's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, xlalonce

Good lord! That showreel of bloopers is the sheer reality of what viewers are served EVERY DAY across every channel.

Woeful, shameful and an embarrassment.

Just caught up on Newswatch. Very bland and basic presentation, which all seems to revolve around a spinning gradient filled circle. Whilst they kept referencing changes to the studio, they haven't even bothered to update the BBC News stickers on the glass surrounding the studio, so that still uses the old GIll Sans 'blocks' logo.

It's a shame that all of the branded output on the news channel now uses various shades of red, rather than before where you had blue for 'The Context', orange for 'Impact' and yellow/green for 'Focus on Africa'. Red is the BBC News brand colour, but that doesn't mean every single programme's branding needs to use it. Just makes everything rather bland.

Even with my limited skills I could have knocked that up in Adobe Premiere, it’s just a circle on a clock wipe, rubbish.
[-] The following 10 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, James, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer, xlalonce

Come to think of it, the blocky app icon sticks out more like a sore thumb with all those circles on screen.

Remember when (The) Context rolled out their teal boxes titles, everyone assumed that'll be the way forward?

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 8 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • AndrewP, AverageOrangeTurnip, bkman1990, chris, Frances, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

God, it's as if Newswatch weren't satisfied with how bad the new titles were so added the really odd left but right alignment of the "logo" as the icing of the cake.

It really wouldn't take much imagination to use the icon as the basis for a new visual look - it's easy to imagine it animating in time to the pips.

How far things have fallen though - I've just posted the 1988 Nine o'clock News titles in another thread which look far more modern and polished than those Newswatch titles.
[-] The following 9 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, James, Jayesyn, PWD, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(02-09-2023, 11:12 AM)James Wrote:  Just caught up on Newswatch. Very bland and basic presentation, which all seems to revolve around a spinning gradient filled circle. Whilst they kept referencing changes to the studio, they haven't even bothered to update the BBC News stickers on the glass surrounding the studio, so that still uses the old GIll Sans 'blocks' logo.

It's a shame that all of the branded output on the news channel now uses various shades of red, rather than before where you had blue for 'The Context', orange for 'Impact' and yellow/green for 'Focus on Africa'. Red is the BBC News brand colour, but that doesn't mean every single programme's branding needs to use it. Just makes everything rather bland.

So does The Catch-Up, but my theory has always been that it was meant for the new BBC News channel this entire time, rather than just only being on BBC Three, given it's over reliance on red, as opposed to BBC Three's green, and the fact it feels more like a contractual obligation snuck in during filler on the UK BBC News feed.

Kind of a shame a lot of programmes have lost their unique colours for the deliberate attempt to make everything look consistent with the BBC News brand. It's like someone will have a heart attack if BBC News just so happens to use pink over red. I'm all for simplicity over complex design, but these new intros feel sorely lacking, like they need something to add to it, especially with how bombastic and full of life these intros have in their music.
[-] The following 7 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, James, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

Every time BBC News announces a "new look" for one of its programmes these days, it makes me afraid and nervous rather than excited about what's to come - almost always, the "new look" is worse than what came before. And yet you have the irony of those involved in BBC News presentation proudly tweeting about all the work and effort that's gone into bland red circles, a part-time flipper and visually blinding (not in a good way), blood red lower thirds.
[-] The following 10 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, itsrobert, James, Jayesyn, Richard H, Universal_r, xlalonce