BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Not sure who’s producing these titles there is some consistency though with all of these ie bbc news is top and bottom, the programme title is left but all caps with the presenters name below it, so the grid work is there and that must have come the design agency ?

Presumably this channel employs a designer who has come up with all the title sequences which we thing are all uninspiring ?
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, Roger Darthwell

(02-09-2023, 02:01 PM)harshy Wrote:  Presumably this channel employs a designer who has come up with all the title sequences which we thing are all uninspiring ?

Perfect Curve.
[-] The following 6 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, MFTJA, woodnorton

(02-09-2023, 01:16 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Remember when (The) Context rolled out their teal boxes titles, everyone assumed that'll be the way forward?
In hindsight, it looks to be more like the end of the flat design, dynamic movement style that began with Impact and continued through Live and Outside Source. Much nicer than what came before it (that plasticky 3D look, most notable with 100 Days) and after it (this current PowerPointy simple gradient-based style).
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, chrisherald, Frances, W. Knight

(02-09-2023, 02:01 PM)harshy Wrote:  Not sure who’s producing these titles there is some consistency though with all of these ie bbc news is top and bottom, the programme title is left but all caps with the presenters name below it, so the grid work is there and that must have come the design agency ?

Presumably this channel employs a designer who has come up with all the title sequences which we thing are all uninspiring ?

The left aligned programme name with centred BBC NEWS, top and bottom, is part of the Chameleon style, as seen on trailer endboards. Whether the intention was for this to be used in programme titles in this way is another matter.

I’m making an educated guess here, but the latest batch of programme titles don’t look like the work of a professional design agency to me – rather they scream in-house job by the BBC News graphics team. 

I know for a fact that they were responsible for the current BBC Parliament titles in which they replaced Lambie-Nairn’s big, dramatic, industrial cogs and gears with some bicycle components. So they’ve certainly got form for naff titles.

Or maybe they’ve got the work experience student working on it. Wink
[-] The following 7 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy, LDN, Quantum+83, Reith85, Stuart

I know that the honorable Martin Lambie-Nairn has passed away, but is ML-N as a company itself still in operation and taking contracts? I'm not too familiar with the structure of this particular agency.

I've been wondering why BBC News can't just hire another agency to properly formulate a new branding design scheme that aligns with the chameleon branding yet doesn't look boring and bland.
[-] The following 8 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(02-09-2023, 02:42 PM)Spencer Wrote:  The left aligned programme name with centred BBC NEWS, top and bottom, is part of the Chameleon style, as seen on trailer endboards. Whether the intention was for this to be used in programme titles in this way is another matter.

I’m making an educated guess here, but the latest batch of programme titles don’t look like the work of a professional design agency to me – rather they scream in-house job by the BBC News graphics team. 

I know for a fact that they were responsible for the current BBC Parliament titles in which they replaced Lambie-Nairn’s big, dramatic, industrial cogs and gears with some bicycle components. So they’ve certainly got form for naff titles.

Or maybe they’ve got the work experience student working on it. Wink
I don’t think it is as chameleon endboards end with the programme name in Reith bold and non caps, whilst this uses the thinner Reith medium font and is all caps, so they’ve already broken that particular guideline, also the line height is out as focus on Africa shows.
[-] The following 8 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, News76, Quantum+83, Spencer, xlalonce

(02-09-2023, 03:29 PM)ALV Wrote:  I've been wondering why BBC News can't just hire another agency to properly formulate a new branding design scheme that aligns with the chameleon branding yet doesn't look boring and bland.
Agencies aren't cheap. Plus, it's not really a case that in-house always equals bad and agency will equal good. Excluding generic News titles, I believe that practically all World News/News channel programme title sequences over the years have been produced by BBC News designers - with a clear range in both design styles and quality.

(02-09-2023, 04:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  Agencies aren't cheap. Plus, it's not really a case that in-house always equals bad and agency will equal good. Excluding generic News titles, I believe that practically all World News/News channel programme title sequences over the years have been produced by BBC News designers - with a clear range in both design styles and quality.

So GMT and Global for example were made by the BBC News designers?

I am asking as those titles were first class whilst these new ones look amateurish.
[-] The following 9 users Like harshy's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, News76, Quantum+83, Reith85, SlimyTrain, xlalonce

(02-09-2023, 04:08 PM)harshy Wrote:  So GMT and Global for example were made by the BBC News designers?
As far as I'm aware, all BBC World News branded programmes' titles in the last two decades have been made by BBC News designers or by freelancers working for BBC News.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

(01-09-2023, 11:56 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I concur, how far can you downgrade things before people tell you to give up entirely? 

If I had the sound muted, I would think she was presenting a programme about snooker with all those reflections on the 'ball'.  I was expecting her to chalk up a cue stick at the end of the programme.

I doubt she really wants to know what people think of the new look. It wouldn't be broadcast anyway.

It looks as if someone has just opened photoshop, selected the gradient tool and randomly dragged the pointer across the screen.....

What is it meant to represent.
[-] The following 7 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, itsrobert, matthieu1221, Quantum+83, Reith85