BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I’m an admirer of Lewis Vaughan Jones but puzzled that he is not wearing a tie but rather a two buttons undone shirt to present BBC News Channel’s coverage of the State Visit to France. He doesn’t do this when presenting a bulletin so why now? It just strikes me as inappropriate informality.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound's post:
  • Nige

I feel sometimes some contributors want BBC1 to break into news every time something happens no matter how insignificant it is or will turn out to be. By that logic we'd interrupt every programme going every time somebody farts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Stuart

I’ve often thought if budgets were better than bbc parliament should become bbc politics and then show things like this press conference then after wards they could have representatives across the political divide then discussing it afterwards that way you’d have the best of both worlds, the press conference would be shown plus it could be discussed and opposing views given for balance. You could then bring back a version of the news multi-screen but instead it has live feeds from the different parliaments or select committees. Ideal world stuff of course.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 3 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, AverageOrangeTurnip, chrisherald

(21-09-2023, 11:04 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I’ve often thought if budgets were better than bbc parliament should become bbc politics and then show things like this press conference then after wards they could have representatives across the political divide then discussing it afterwards that way you’d have the best of both worlds, the press conference would be shown plus it could be discussed and opposing views given for balance. You could then bring back a version of the news multi-screen but instead it has live feeds from the different parliaments or select committees. Ideal world stuff of course.

But that's not the remit of BBC Parliament to do any of that, and in any event "BBC Politics" is just a name asking for trouble. BBC Parliament is essentially just a rebroadcast of the output from Westminster in new packaging (with new graphics), and I dare say its predecessor was the same as well to an extent.

Its not for BBC Parliament whatever you call it to "discuss" anything in that regard. That's what the news channels are for. And parliaments only ever sit normally during day time hours in any event (bar the Monday sitting which is just a rotated 8hr day), they don't run 24/7 and even if they are sitting out of hours its usually because some major event has forced their hand.

So on that basis you can chuck as much money as you like at BBC Parliament, it'll just do what it does now. The only reason it simulcasts BBC News is because it lost all that money, and now you only get filler material at awkward times.
[-] The following 4 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, msim, Stuart

(21-09-2023, 11:04 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I’ve often thought if budgets were better than bbc parliament should become bbc politics and then show things like this press conference then after wards they could have representatives across the political divide then discussing it afterwards that way you’d have the best of both worlds, the press conference would be shown plus it could be discussed and opposing views given for balance. You could then bring back a version of the news multi-screen but instead it has live feeds from the different parliaments or select committees. Ideal world stuff of course.

There's that much of an overlap between "news", "politics" and "parliament nowadays that it's become a gestalt entity especially when it comes to tv coverage.

The only thing we can do is use our discernment and think "what is this". You can try and separate them if you want to but to be honest you'd have a better chance of discovering the truth behind the TVS Archive!

(I'll get my coat)
[-] The following 2 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

(21-09-2023, 09:34 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  There is absolutely no tradition though of broadcasting every Prime ministers speech live on BBC1.   We're not America where they regularly rip up primetime because the President wants to say something.

Only when they're in the national interest would the BBC give them airtime on BBC1.  Ultimately broadcasting that speech yesterday live would have made no significant impact on anybodies immediate lives.
The Commons isn't in recess until next week for their 'partying events', so there is no reason why it couldn't have been a statement in there.  I believe the Speaker has made comments before about things being announced in the media before in Parliament. However, this is a change to an existing policy and nobody knows who will be in power in 2030, let alone 2035.

They can make official 'Prime Ministerial Broadcasts' which are shown on all the PSBs, but they are set piece events rather than pressers. I can't remember one since the COVID lockdown. They are rare, and there is an 'Official Opposition Broadcast' the following day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald

Has something gone wrong with the global feed it’s got a grey recording strap over it.

Edit: Back to normal at 16:40

(21-09-2023, 04:37 PM)harshy Wrote:  Has something gone wrong with the global feed it’s got a grey recording strap over it.

Edit: Back to normal at 16:40

The U.K. feed opted out to the balcony at 16:25

(21-09-2023, 03:36 PM)Stuart Wrote:  The Commons isn't in recess until next week for their 'partying events', so there is no reason why it couldn't have been a statement in there.  I believe the Speaker has made comments before about things being announced in the media before in Parliament. However, this is a change to an existing policy and nobody knows who will be in power in 2030, let alone 2035.

They can make official 'Prime Ministerial Broadcasts' which are shown on all the PSBs, but they are set piece events rather than pressers. I can't remember one since the COVID lockdown. They are rare, and there is an 'Official Opposition Broadcast' the following day.
Incorrect at the first part of this-Recess began at just after 6:50pm on Tuesday night (as they haven't sat yesterday or today).

They showed the canadian press conference there was no translation then Rajini decided to have a few words and pres cut her off to show Talking Movies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • chrisherald