BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Now that Victoria has left, are we going to get a random mix of freelancers and presenters from the regions to present the 5-7am and 7.30 WBR on a Friday?

(22-09-2023, 03:08 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Sorry to sound like a misery, but having watched that, it all felt very over-the-top and self-indulgent to me.

There have been much higher profile and longer serving presenters who've bowed out with a lot less fuss and fanfare. I wish her all the best, but had it not been for this forum, I'm not sure I'd have known who she was.

I didn’t know who she was and I watch BBC News all the time. It was a great speech though.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 2 users Like Moz's post:
  • chrisherald, thePineapple

(22-09-2023, 08:55 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I thought the first bit was a bit long but forgiveable in the circumstances - but then she went on and on and on and lectured the audience - not what viewers would be wanting at 5.55am.   Seemed a bit arrogant too to say goodbye to BBC1 viewers specifically in such a lengthy manner midway through her shift.

Outside of more magazine style programmes like Breakfast presenters usually leave very quietly with just the briefest of acknowledgements it's their final shift unless they're a broadcasting legend.    So whilst it's understandable she wanted a couple of minutes to say goodbye it's questionable that the producers arounded her afforded her so much airtime for the purpose.
It's the best 2 minutes the merged channel has every produced.
[-] The following 5 users Like lepeterrr's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(22-09-2023, 09:10 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Now that Victoria has left, are we going to get a random mix of freelancers and presenters from the regions to present the 5-7am and 7.30 WBR on a Friday?

Isn't that most of the schedule anyway? Angel
[-] The following 5 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, Quantum+83, Rolling News, TJTSW

I believe there is an outbreak of Mergecosis with some of the comments in this thread.

Without getting too rota-y, I've been surprised at how consistent the post-Edwards-era Ten has been presenter-wise. It's nearly always (including a lot of weekends) Chakrabarti or Myrie, usually for several nights in a row - quite similar to the pre-Edwards set-up with Buerk and Sissons. Chakrabarti and Myrie's de facto promotions have also meant that the One is pretty exclusively Brown or Hill at the minute. Six is still a bit of a free-for-all, but, not only can they clearly manage with the network team as it is now (which some suggested they'd struggle with), but it seems to have allowed for a more settled approach.
[-] The following 7 users Like DTV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Rolling News, TVfan23, UTVLifer

Clive Myrie absolutely deserves the top job - but there is just so little depth to Chakrabarti's presenting style. She's very much in the Moira Stewart mode - competent news reader but anything more complex she seems to struggle, so best suited to weekend bulletins really.

Even before the issues of the last year I've thought a 1999 style realignment would benefit BBC News with dedicated presenters back on the main bulletins - personally I'd have Jane on the 1, Mishal moved to the 6 and Clive on the 10, with Sophie as cover for both evening bulletins. I suspect though the 6/10 will remain more of a team effort which is probably working well enough.
[-] The following 9 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Pips2022, southern_boy, Spencer, UTVLifer, woodnorton

(22-09-2023, 09:20 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  m.youtube.com 

Peter Sissons must be spinning in his grave.
[-] The following 6 users Like itsrobert's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, msim, Rolling News

Isn't the Today programme on Radio 4 a higher profile gig than the Six? I'm not sure that Mishal would want to move
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, JJJJ, woodnorton

(23-09-2023, 02:34 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Isn't the Today programme on Radio 4 a higher profile gig than the Six? I'm not sure that Mishal would want to move
Not sure about higher profile, but more prestige and there's no real pay differential. I suppose if she wanted 'better' hours she could be tempted, but, short of Newsnight be outright axed and a substantial recalibration of the Ten in that direction, I can't see much journalistic attraction to network news for a Today presenter.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer