BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

As to the article news channel losing viewers I’m not surprised especially with those red blinding graphics, dare I say it has to be deliberate but they’ve put it on the global channel too.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • ilsondan15, xlalonce

(06-10-2023, 07:57 PM)harshy Wrote:  As to the article news channel losing viewers I’m not surprised especially with those red blinding graphics, dare I say it has to be deliberate but they’ve put it on the global channel too.

I was never a fan of them using a lower third banner for every single individual story, but I could kinda live with it when they were still using the nice transparent black. Ever since they changed it all to opaque red, for everything apart from Breaking News which uses a shade of red to blind the viewer, it just looks ridiculous.
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, harshy, ilsondan15, Jayesyn, Radio_man

(06-10-2023, 07:57 PM)harshy Wrote:  As to the article news channel losing viewers I’m not surprised especially with those red blinding graphics, dare I say it has to be deliberate but they’ve put it on the global channel too.

Oh mate seriously give it a rest. No one decides which news channel to watch based on the colour of their graphics. Nobody.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bai4943, Joe

(06-10-2023, 05:43 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  The second half of the article talks about the channel losing viewers.
It's hard to tell, though, how completely true this is. 
- Viewing is down compared to the last few years, but then News channel viewing was exceptionally high from 2020-22. BBC News' share figures are in line with where they were pre-Covid.
- August figures are down on previous months, and the lowest since the current BARB methodology came in in December 2021, but BBC Parliament (who simulcasted with BBC News for the whole month) saw a doubling of audience from July - suggesting overall audience actually increased in August.
- BBC News viewership has declined, but so has Sky News', albeit it at a slower rate. Taken over the last six months, the year-on-year fall is 13% for Sky and 20% for the BBC in reach, but 26% for Sky and 34% for BBC in average daily minutes. Comparing individual months, as the article does, is a bit selective - had you compared June-June, BBC would do better.

In summary, viewership is down, but a substantive chunk of this decline is a) across both news channels (as well as a wider decline in TV viewership) and b) coming off the back of a few exceptionally high years for news channels. It's hard to disentangle these factors and you'd really need to see the figures for individual slots (some of which have changed more than others) to know how much the changes were directly responsible.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ilsondan15

(06-10-2023, 08:45 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Oh mate seriously give it a rest. No one decides which news channel to watch based on the colour of their graphics. Nobody.

True and I’m sure the bbc news channels bosses and the real world would agree with you, you do have to admit it looks really harsh and the rest of bbc news must think so too as they haven’t implemented these red graphics not even Singapore.

(06-10-2023, 06:24 PM)Moz Wrote:  This must be the most effective use of the tower screen to date. It’s almost as if they built a little Wilkos in the corner!

We've always said that column looks so much better when they use it as a vertical screen rather than just stick a 16:9 feed in the middle of it.

I do find how the mystery of the missing five has been handled rather oddly - effectively all suspended on full pay for months despite doing nothing wrong.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer

This thread, perhaps more than any other on the forum, is peppered with repetition, exaggeration and some plain silly commentary.

Please think before you post.

The admin/mod team will be more actively enforcing our rules in these areas. This won't affect the vast majority of posters.
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin PC's post:
  • harshy, lepeterrr, lookoutwales, TVFan, UTVLifer

(06-10-2023, 08:58 PM)DTV Wrote:  It's hard to tell, though, how completely true this is. 
- Viewing is down compared to the last few years, but then News channel viewing was exceptionally high from 2020-22. BBC News' share figures are in line with where they were pre-Covid.
- August figures are down on previous months, and the lowest since the current BARB methodology came in in December 2021, but BBC Parliament (who simulcasted with BBC News for the whole month) saw a doubling of audience from July - suggesting overall audience actually increased in August.
- BBC News viewership has declined, but so has Sky News', albeit it at a slower rate. Taken over the last six months, the year-on-year fall is 13% for Sky and 20% for the BBC in reach, but 26% for Sky and 34% for BBC in average daily minutes. Comparing individual months, as the article does, is a bit selective - had you compared June-June, BBC would do better.

In summary, viewership is down, but a substantive chunk of this decline is a) across both news channels (as well as a wider decline in TV viewership) and b) coming off the back of a few exceptionally high years for news channels. It's hard to disentangle these factors and you'd really need to see the figures for individual slots (some of which have changed more than others) to know how much the changes were directly responsible.
I don’t think the bbc bosses are too fussed with Uk audiences declining, they’ve already accepted that and the results are what we are watching now, what they will care about is if world audiences are declining and therefore affecting their advertising revenue(maybe that’s why we have these half baked programme strands) as I imagine this merged operation is now reliant on commercial money.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(06-10-2023, 10:15 PM)harshy Wrote:  I don’t think the bbc bosses are too fussed with Uk audiences declining, they’ve already accepted that and the results are what we are watching now, what they will care about is if world audiences are declining and therefore affecting their advertising revenue(maybe that’s why we have these half baked programme strands) as I imagine this merged operation is now reliant on commercial money.
If this were true, why would they have so substantially increased the proportion of UK stories featured on the channel (compared to World), frequently giving them prominence over arguably more newsworthy international stories. 

Going by the figures I've seen quoted and in BBC Global News financial reports, I'd estimate it's about 40:60 licence:commercial money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • harshy

(06-10-2023, 10:36 PM)DTV Wrote:  If this were true, why would they have so substantially increased the proportion of UK stories featured on the channel (compared to World), frequently giving them prominence over arguably more newsworthy international stories. 

Going by the figures I've seen quoted and in BBC Global News financial reports, I'd estimate it's about 40:60 licence:commercial money.

It’s a fair point and this is what confuses me, it could simply be they are not really sure how this merged channel is supposed to work so not to risk it and alienate Uk viewers completely they’ve gone for a more Uk centric approach then otherwise, and to please advertisers there are offering these programme strands even though it’s just plain old bbc news.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • chrisherald