BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

THIS is what’s annoying about the current set-up.

JUST when I want to have a more international skew to my news output, as Hamas are attacking Israel, the BBC News UK stream is showing Breakfast!

Argghh!

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, BlightyExPat, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Isn’t that the same as the previous channel?
[-] The following 6 users Like Joe's post:
  • AndrewP, Jayesyn, Jeff, Quantum+83, Reith85, strollfan

(07-10-2023, 09:07 AM)Joe Wrote:  Isn’t that the same as the previous channel?

I don’t think news channel have ever opted out from Breakfast bar the last 15 mins or have they ?

I’m sure it’s because of this stupid UK quota they have to meet. Surely this will be balanced out by the hours upon hours of single story UK-opts they’ve been doing.

Is there really anything more to add though than what can be covered in a short report and then moving on to other stories? In these developing situations rolling news is generally just rolling with the same limited information rather than adding anything significant.

I do agree though in these situations just as would usually happen with the evening bulletins if a story was unfolding it is probably best for the news channel to switch to BBC World.

(07-10-2023, 09:26 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is there really anything more to add though than what can be covered in a short report and then moving on to other stories?    In these developing situations rolling news is generally just rolling with the same limited information rather than adding anything significant.

I do agree though in these situations just as would usually happen with the evening bulletins if a story was unfolding it is probably best for the news channel to switch to BBC World.

You’re absolutely right, but I just prefer to keep it on in the background rolling on a single story if it’s big enough. Just feels wrong “‘moving on to other news”.

What about people just switching on for a few minutes in the morning to see if anything major is happening. They’d miss it.

I think maybe a temporary ticker on Breakfast would help - “Hamas launches major surprise attack on Israel. Coverage continues soon…”

People know though the top story on Breakfast is at the TOTH and BOTH. And as much as things seem to have escalated sadly the long standing situation there means to me anyway it isn't the major news story it is to you. Neither of us are wrong - that's just highlights the balancing act the BBC have to tackle.

It's also worth remembering with a seemingly surprise attack like this although the journalists on the ground might be somewhat prepared the news organisations probably are not - and with fewer resources it's better to let the journalists do their job than have them confined to one place updating viewers for the sake of it, especially if that makes them a target themselves.

It's the sort of situation where it's better to get your information from reporting this evening than live, fast moving and hence unverified updates this morning.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

Well I spent most of my time criticising these red graphics but now it’s clicked in my tiny little head why it’s been designed in the first place and it’s to highlight urgency and with news like today it makes absolute sense now.

(07-10-2023, 12:05 PM)harshy Wrote:  Well I spent most of my time criticising these red graphics but now it’s clicked in my tiny little head why it’s been designed in the first place and it’s to highlight urgency and with news like today it makes absolute sense now.

Bit they'd have likely been running this story as "Breaking News" all day anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(07-10-2023, 12:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Bit they'd have likely been running this story as "Breaking News" all day anyway.

I think it makes sense in this context as the news is evolving as we speak so effectively Breaking.

Lucy Hockings chief presenter now at the helm.
[-] The following 6 users Like harshy's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer