BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

A particularly powerful headline in this lower-thirds sequence: 
ibb.co 

I mean... I can understand a typo, and I could reluctantly forgive two of them -- but how on earth can someone completely fail to write a complete headline, push it live anyway, and then leave that glaring error on screen for so long? 

[MOD Edit - Inappropriately phrased comment removed]
[-] The following 5 users Like LDN's post:
  • chrisherald, Nobby, Stuart, TJTSW, xlalonce

They need to bring contextual stats back to the lower thirds it puts too much pressure on the person typing the headline with the current technique, and it’s look terrible when it’s too long as it seems to have a safe area.
[-] The following 6 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Jeff, thePineapple

Interesting article you might like. Looks like bbc.com is getting a new look.

pressgazette.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like CATV's post:
  • chrisherald, LDN

(10-10-2023, 02:56 PM)harshy Wrote:  I imagine whoever’s typing is typing it too fast not checking it and straight to screen.
That is absolutely no excuse and if they can't get the basics right just don't have the completely unnecessary pushback.

If people want text updates they can use the live text feed on the website and app - let the news channel do it's job and provide the pictures.

(P.S.  Is this going out on World?)
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, Rolling News

(10-10-2023, 03:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That is absolutely no excuse and if they can't get the basics right just don't have the completely unnecessary pushback.

If people want text updates they can use the live text feed on the website and app - let the news channel do it's job and provide the pictures.

(P.S.  Is this going out on World?)

Just on U.K. opt out AFAIK.

(09-10-2023, 10:14 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  You could be right. When the Ukraine war first began in February 2022 and they sent Clive out there to anchor, they had both Huw and George still on the network rota in London who presented the Six and Ten regularly. Now of course, if they send Clive (or another anchor) to Israel, presumably they’d be super tight for cover in the studios in London.

I agree Lyse is doing her usual excellent job.

Appears I  was wrong as Clive is now in Jerusalem.
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ilsondan15, TVfan23

Are the domestic presenters now exclusive to the 1, 6 and 10 so they won't be seen by World viewers?

Clive did the 6 from Jerusalem but didn't do the 7 o'clock on the News Channel where Nancy presented from London - previously she'd have 'handed over to her colleague Clive Myrie in Jerusalem...'

Talking of Nancy, is it just me who gets a hint of Kirsty Young from her voice, the measured and calm presentation is similar.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 5 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Rolling News, thePineapple

(10-10-2023, 03:23 PM)CATV Wrote:  Interesting article you might like.  Looks like bbc.com is getting a new look.

pressgazette.co.uk 

Indeed. 

As this image from that article shows, the BBC logo will be top centre, along with centred top-level navigation, and a hamburger menu at top left:

[Image: press-gazette-bbc-website-global.png]

This is obviously just one screenshot (there's also another one on the Press Gazette article), and I'm certainly aware that the exact appearance and layout may not be finalised yet -- but based solely on those images... WOW, it looks basic af. 

No real visual design to speak of -- just a logo bar, a nav bar, and then a simple grid layout. Hide the BBC logo at the top, and it looks like a thousand other websites. 

I can only hope that those images aren't an accurate reflection of the final design. It's just such a weak effort; far from looking like the homepage of a proud world-class broadcaster, it looks like a site created with a make-your-own-website wizard. How many columns would you like? Choose the style of your menu button. Add your logo... Voila! The new BBC global homepage. 

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. Maybe it'll look way better when it actually launches, and I can judge it more appropriately on more than a couple of preview images. But having seen so much sh!tty, basic, bland design from the BBC in recent months, I'm not holding my breath.
[-] The following 11 users Like LDN's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Hadrien, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, Roger Darthwell, SlimyTrain, Stuart, thePineapple, xlalonce

(10-10-2023, 09:25 PM)LDN Wrote:  Indeed. 

As this image from that article shows, the BBC logo will be top centre, along with centred top-level navigation, and a hamburger menu at top left:

This is obviously just one screenshot (there's also another one on the Press Gazette article), and I'm certainly aware that the exact appearance and layout may not be finalised yet -- but based solely on those images... WOW, it looks basic af. 

No real visual design to speak of -- just a logo bar, a nav bar, and then a simple grid layout. Hide the BBC logo at the top, and it looks like a thousand other websites. 

I can only hope that those images aren't an accurate reflection of the final design. It's just such a weak effort; far from looking like the homepage of a proud world-class broadcaster, it looks like a site created with a make-your-own-website wizard. How many columns would you like? Choose the style of your menu button. Add your logo... Voila! The new BBC global homepage. 

Perhaps I'm being too harsh. Maybe it'll look way better when it actually launches, and I can judge it more appropriately on more than a couple of preview images. But having seen so much sh!tty, basic, bland design from the BBC in recent months, I'm not holding my breath.
It also ask where are the 3 block icons for news, sports and weather? Was that not the whole reason for them? Linking parts of the bbc (total rubbish imo). I do wonder how much money they are wasting on this rebrand exercise to make everything look just dull and of low quality.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 3 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice

(10-10-2023, 09:25 PM)LDN Wrote:  Indeed. 

It also ask where are the 3 block icons for news, sports and weather? Was that not the whole reason for them? Linking parts of the bbc (total rubbish imo). I do wonder how much money they are wasting on this rebrand exercise to make everything look just dull and of low quality.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 4 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, ilsondan15, interestednovice