BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(12-10-2023, 01:09 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  That was the odd thing about the launch of BBC Verify. They already had two units with established brands working on this sort of thing: BBC Monitoring, reviewing activity on social media and other media outlets around the world, revealing the truth about stories from people “on the ground”; and BBC Reality Check, which sought to confirm or debunk claims made by public figures and so on - in an effort to combat disinformation.
'BBC Monitoring' was originally a government unit established in 1939 to check overseas media and later funded by MOD and commercial bodies throughout the world until 2013.

It used to pop up on my intranet at work. It still exists.

I should explain that I wasn't around in 1939 and neither was t'internet Tongue
[-] The following 6 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(12-10-2023, 01:09 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  That was the odd thing about the launch of BBC Verify. They already had two units with established brands working on this sort of thing: BBC Monitoring, reviewing activity on social media and other media outlets around the world, revealing the truth about stories from people “on the ground”; and BBC Reality Check, which sought to confirm or debunk claims made by public figures and so on - in an effort to combat disinformation.
It's perhaps noticeable that the URL for BBC Verify on the news website is www.bbc.co.uk . The web page title on the browser tab even says "Reality Check - BBC News" due to it still being in the <title> tag of the web page's source code, as well as various META tags within the head section.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

My understanding is the Verify and Reality Check served different purposes.

- Reality check was to fact check what public figures have said.
- Verify is intended to use open source intelligence to establish the provenance of digital / social media content.

I agree that the brand doesn't appear to be particularly well applied or explained, but I don't think one has replaced the intentions of the other.
[-] The following 2 users Like neonemesis's post:
  • Independent, Quantum+83

That would be true if Reality Check branding was still in use. In fact, BBC Verify seems to have replaced both (and often, as others have posted, been actually implemented as a renaming of Reality Check) while largely fulfilling the BBC Monitoring role rather than the Reality Check half.

Reality Check, which was a very strong brand, appears not to be something the BBC really do any more in a “flagged up” way. It’s just that they will call out inaccuracies during reporting; sometimes using the BBC Verify branding and sometimes not.

With Clive and Lyse presenting bulletins from Israel this week, has anyone else noticed during the opening sequence when they cut to the studio presenter at the desk for the "other headlines", the camera moves slightly, either upwards or to the right.
[-] The following 8 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bax, chrisherald, House, interestednovice, Quantum+83, thePineapple

(11-10-2023, 03:44 PM)Keith Wrote:  They're currently showing Frank Gardner on the 'BBC Verify balcony' with the screens. Whilst the camera is static the picture quality still appears to be poor and not smooth. Either the camera isn't set up right or the video footage is somehow getting compressed.
Why can't they just use the catwalk screens? That balcony set up is pointless and gimmicky.
[-] The following 3 users Like Independent's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Nige

I’d rather they just interview Frank, or any other correspondent, at the desk and use either catwalk graphics or full screen pictures which they can talk over as in traditional news reporting.

The angles these newsroom screens are shot at make it difficult to see what they are trying to show us, and the whole setup still feels cramped/awkward.
[-] The following 7 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Independent, JamesWorldNews, Nige, UTVLifer

It was interesting on last night's Six (and presumably also Ten) to see the piece from the BBC Arabic journalist who lives within Gaza. It was good to see them utilising other parts of the BBC for reporting. It was also a reminder that innocent civilians on both sides have been affected.

Just found the piece, or at least the website version of it: www.bbc.co.uk 

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 13 users Like Keith's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, ilsondan15, interestednovice, matthieu1221, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, thePineapple, xlalonce

(13-10-2023, 03:42 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I’d rather they just interview Frank, or any other correspondent, at the desk and use either catwalk graphics or full screen pictures which they can talk over as in traditional news reporting.

The angles these newsroom screens are shot at make it difficult to see what they are trying to show us, and the whole setup still feels cramped/awkward.
I like the idea of presenting more elements of the channel from the newsroom. If done right it could make it feel more dynamic, especially if the channel is anchored from E.

But the way they’ve done it just looks a bit half arsed. The setups look cheap and cobbled together, and the picture quality is generally poor with the wrong frame rates.
[-] The following 11 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, bax, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, Nige, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(13-10-2023, 10:25 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I like the idea of presenting more elements of the channel from the newsroom. If done right it could make it feel more dynamic, especially if the channel is anchored from E.
This was presumably the original plan, I seem to recall pre-launch that there was talk of presenters in the newsroom and, of course, the intention was supposed to be that being in C was temporary while E was refitted. But that plan has clearly either been shelved or delayed.
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Spencer, thePineapple, UTVLifer