BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I know things are financially constrained at the BBC, but blimey, they could at least put on a few more lights in the newsroom if they're using it as a live background shot.  Rolleyes

I see Nicky Campbell is covering the first ever State Opening of Parliament by King Charles III - www.radiotimes.com 

Just wow!

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

(29-10-2023, 09:17 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I know things are financially constrained at the BBC, but blimey, they could at least put on a few more lights in the newsroom if they're using it as a live background shot.  Rolleyes

That shot has always been bad, and is more indicative of the quality of the camera (shot) than the lighting in the newsroom.

(29-10-2023, 11:56 PM)Moz Wrote:  I see Nicky Campbell is covering the first ever State Opening of Parliament by King Charles III - www.radiotimes.com 

Just wow!

Errr that's a rather left-field choice for an event like this, I would have thought someone like Sophie Raworth would have been more suitable presenter than Nicky Campbell.
[-] The following 12 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, interestednovice, London Lite, Moz, oscillon, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(28-10-2023, 09:12 AM)harshy Wrote:  20 years ago it was pretty much BBC World News with branded programmes on the half hour like Asia Today, World Sport, the only difference the presentation standards were extremely high back then and make good use of effectively a studio whacked in the heart of a newsroom. Now they have wonderful proper studio set but looks pointless as the presenter is left controlling their own autocue and therefore glued to their seat, it is a bit too basic and the branded shows no idea why they even bothered other then to create slots they could market abroad.
It's so basic - One camera, stationary for most of the time, no use of the screens, barely any use of the catwalk. Decisions like that have made me want to watch sky news more and more.
[-] The following 6 users Like Hemsright's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, kookaburra, Stuart

(29-10-2023, 11:56 PM)Moz Wrote:  I see Nicky Campbell is covering the first ever State Opening of Parliament by King Charles III

Just wow!
Hacker T Dog missed out this year, but I'm sure he'll get the gig eventually the way things are going.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly

(30-10-2023, 07:06 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Hacker T Dog missed out this year, but I'm sure he'll get the gig eventually the way things are going.
You may joke, but I’d definitely watch that.
[-] The following 6 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, interestednovice, London Lite, Stuart

Surely just letting Politics Live handle it is the obvious option?
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Moz, Stuart, woodnorton

Maybe they meant Nicky S would be presenting instead, he is the senior presenter of the Uk operation I think, I think Nicky S should do it.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • chrisherald, Moz

(30-10-2023, 12:42 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Errr that's a rather left-field choice for an event like this, I would have thought someone like Sophie Raworth would have been more suitable presenter than Nicky Campbell.
I guess it's a side effect of the war in Gazza, in addition to Huw being on sick leave/suspended (or both). Presumably with Clive and/or Reeta being in Israel it reduces the number of presenters available to be in the studio of the 1/6/10. This in turn presumably limits the number of BBC News presenters, who might otherwise be considered to provide coverage for the State Opening of Parliament.

Alternatively, they may be wishing to try out new / previously overlooked talent for such events. It's understandable why the BBC might not want to put all their eggs in one basket again, so to speak. Nicky Campbell certainly has plenty of experience of live TV as well as radio, having previously presented Watchdog and The Big Question on BBC One.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 5 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, DTV, London Lite