BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Nicky Campbell is an odd choice but I think he’ll be fine, personally I was expecting either Sophie Raworth or Laura Kuenssberg to do the King’s Speech coverage with Huw absent
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, Superman1986

(30-10-2023, 01:09 AM)Hemsright Wrote:  It's so basic - One camera, stationary for most of the time, no use of the screens, barely any use of the catwalk. Decisions like that have made me want to watch sky news more and more.
To be fair, this is also largely true of BBC World from twenty years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

Quite fascinating behind the scenes tweet about the local news sets.

The thing I noticed is "Camera level with middle of tower to avoid distortion" as one of the annotations. Does that confirm that moire is  restricting the shots they can use? Is this common on news sets?

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, oscillon, Stuart

(30-10-2023, 10:38 AM)thePineapple Wrote:  Quite fascinating behind the scenes tweet about the local news sets.

The thing I noticed is "Camera level with middle of tower to avoid distortion" as one of the annotations. Does that confirm that moire is  restricting the shots they can use? Is this common on news sets?

twitter.com 
I quite like the irony of one of the booklets pictured in the tweet having the notice on the cover of...
"Please do not share this document or contents with anyone outside the BBC"

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 12 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, chrisherald, Earlie37, interestednovice, Jayesyn, oscillon, Reith85, RhysJR, SlimyTrain, Stuart, thePineapple

We also get a name, the Naseby sets. I know the screens are an upgrade but it does feel overall like a step back into the rectangle box era of 2008. Theyve even got the return of that red transparent strip going round the edge like the 2007 national set did.

I often think the views they’ve selected aren’t the best. I’m guessing they’re the views off the top off the building they’re in but would have looking much nicer with a view with a local landmark in. They’ve also given all this space round the monolith and stuck the desk in the corner. 

Changing the subject, just reading an article on the BBC news app and it says Simon king lead weather presenters. Is that been a recent thing or did I just miss it. I was trying to remember who the previous ones were. I could remember Gyles and Michael Fish and then that was it

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 7 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(30-10-2023, 11:45 AM)ViridianFan Wrote:  We also get a name, the Naseby sets. I know the screens are an upgrade but it does feel overall like a step back into the rectangle box era of 2008. Theyve even got the return of that red transparent strip going round the edge like the 2007 national set did.

I often think the views they’ve selected aren’t the best. I’m guessing they’re the views off the top off the building they’re in but would have looking much nicer with a view with a local landmark in. They’ve also given all this space round the monolith and stuck the desk in the corner. 

Changing the subject, just reading an article on the BBC news app and it says Simon king lead weather presenters. Is that been a recent thing or did I just miss it. I was trying to remember who the previous ones were. I could remember Gyles and Michael Fish and then that was it

Helen Young
[-] The following 2 users Like mccanmat's post:
  • interestednovice, ViridianFan

It's a pity they didn't record multiple backdrops from each region and then rotate them, rather than having the same view all the time - as this means, on South Today for example, viewers as far north as Oxford will be looking at a backdrop of Southampton.

(The viewpoints aren't based on the physical studio building, they have just picked one for each region)
[-] The following 4 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Superman1986

(30-10-2023, 07:06 AM)Stuart Wrote:  Hacker T Dog missed out this year, but I'm sure he'll get the gig eventually the way things are going.
Rumour has it he's actually get a GB News gig sometime next year Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like callumwatchestelly's post:
  • JamesWorldNews, Stuart, Superman1986

The Leeds one is just Leeds Train station with a train coming into it, not the most inspiring of backdrops.

(30-10-2023, 10:11 AM)Keith Wrote:  I guess it's a side effect of the war in Gazza, in addition to Huw being on sick leave/suspended (or both).  Presumably with Clive and/or Reeta being in Israel it reduces the number of presenters available to be in the studio of the 1/6/10.  This in turn presumably limits the number of BBC News presenters, who might otherwise be considered to provide coverage for the State Opening of Parliament. 

Alternatively, they may be wishing to try out new / previously overlooked talent for such events.  It's understandable why the BBC might not want to put all their eggs in one basket again, so to speak.  Nicky Campbell certainly has plenty of experience of live TV as well as radio, having previously presented Watchdog and The Big Question on BBC One.

I presume Sophie will be doing the Festival of Rememberance?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!