BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(03-11-2023, 01:39 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  World News America is individual programme paid for by a number of parties. Therefore if BBC (UK) does not pay towards it, it cannot be broadcast.
I'm not sure this rule really applies anymore, my understanding is that the new channel works on a basically one pot basis. 

I suspect the reason is more prosaic - I doubt it's really been thought about and, if it has, they will have chosen to keep UK content over it, as Radio_man suggests. There certainly could be room for it on the channel and it did always rate well during the few weeks of the year it appeared. But I guess that all speaks to the fairly muddled approach that has been taken to the channel. That said, though, I have been disappointed by WNA the last few times I've caught it - it seems to have adopted the same pacing issues that the rest of the channel suffers from.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald

(03-11-2023, 02:00 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  So is this a new arrangement? WNA has been broadcast in the UK before. It was regularly repeated late night on the News Channel in the late 2000s & early 2010s, and even now, if the Ten is delayed for whatever reason, WNA will be shown in the UK instead.
So WNA is definitely not banned from being broadcast in the UK.

Expect to see a fair bit of World News America broadcast in the UK next summer when the Euro 2024 football championships are on and BBC are showing the 8pm (UK time) game, meaning the 10 will default to 10.15 or 10.30pm (or even later in knockout games, with the provision for extra time and penalties).
[-] The following 8 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, Happy2001, Radio_man, Stuart, UTVLifer

New show on BBC News called "Future Earth". Presented from Washington with Carl Nasman. For titles they used the 'generic' bbc news theme with a longer build-up, & a rotating half transparent circle with shots of the earth, with the text centred.
[-] The following 6 users Like Hemsright's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, LDN, Reith85, UTVLifer

(04-11-2023, 01:56 PM)Hemsright Wrote:  New show on BBC News called "Future Earth". Presented from Washington with Carl Nasman. For titles they used the 'generic' bbc news theme with a longer build-up, & a rotating half transparent circle with shots of the earth, with the text centred.
Plus some interesting use of the Washington studio - including standing presentation, the desk being removed and blue and green lighting.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • interestednovice, oscillon, UTVLifer

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 8 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, matthieu1221, oscillon, Stuart, UTVLifer, watchingtv

Eugh. 

Another drab BBC News title sequence, using the same goddamn music, with perhaps the laziest, most soporific animation so far. And, obviously, a circle. But it's not red! *gasp* 

So much effort used to go into creating titles and stings for xx.30 back-half-hour programmes on BBC News (Channel/24) and World News -- such as The Travel Show, Click, and World Business Report. How times have changed. How standards have fallen. 

And of course, for the premiere of this new programme -- "episode one", as we were informed in the introduction -- BBC News made sure to leave the red logo bar and ticker on screen, to make sure they obscured the 'NEWS' text on the titles. Great job everyone. 👍🏼

The Washington studio does look nice though.

I mean it's not terrible - it's higher effort than News Now/Verified Live/Daily Global, and it's only a back-half programme. I think the titles are fairly pretty, if a bit basic, and I like that they're experimenting with new formats, lighting etc. In fact I like that they've put effort into something like this at all. (The little wins I know 😅)

Not a fan of the generic music, though - can't be that hard to have a different theme. Also agree that the strap shouldn't have been up for the intro - but that's par for the course nowadays. Has this aired to world viewers yet? Assume there wasn't a strap for them.
[-] The following 4 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, strollfan

They seem to be determined to run that BBC News music to the ground and make absolutely everyone hate it. That's the only explanation for the fact it's used for everything, including weekend shows, now.
[-] The following 8 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, UTVLifer

(04-11-2023, 05:51 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  They seem to be determined to run that BBC News music to the ground and make absolutely everyone hate it. That's the only explanation for the fact it's used for everything, including weekend shows, now.

But why would they do that?

(04-11-2023, 03:49 PM)LDN Wrote:  Eugh. 

Another drab BBC News title sequence, using the same goddamn music, with perhaps the laziest, most soporific animation so far. And, obviously, a circle. But it's not red! *gasp* 

So much effort used to go into creating titles and stings for xx.30 back-half-hour programmes on BBC News (Channel/24) and World News -- such as The Travel Show, Click, and World Business Report. How times have changed. How standards have fallen. 

And of course, for the premiere of this new programme -- "episode one", as we were informed in the introduction -- BBC News made sure to leave the red logo bar and ticker on screen, to make sure they obscured the 'NEWS' text on the titles. Great job everyone. 👍🏼

The Washington studio does look nice though.
When you look at some of the titles of other BBC News shows from the merge, this looks amazing. As a standalone title sequence though, it looks only decent.

Sick to death of the BBC finding their way to use the generic BBC News theme outside of normal bulletins.