BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(06-11-2023, 11:03 PM)TVfan23 Wrote:  They're definitely struggling for newsreaders today. Ben Brown has done the One, Six and now the Ten. I personally don't ever recall seeing anyone present all three in one day? Certainly doesn't happen often either way...

Reeta Chakrabati did One, Six and Ten a few times in Summer 2014, just after George Alagiah was first diagnosed with Cancer. She spoke about it in a speech I attended at my old Uni (she's the current Challencor), she was surprised because it wasn't long after she'd joined the presenting team, and was suddenly holding the fort regularly.

I have memories of Sophie Raworth presenting all three in a day as well, but it was around Christmas/New Year, so it's possible they were shorter than usual bulletins
[-] The following 7 users Like JLav25's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Spider, TVfan23

I stopped watching the 'State Opening of Parliament'  the moment the DJ in a suit didn't challenge someone who claimed we didn't have a written constitution.

He obviously did little research. Our constitution is 'uncodified', which means it's WRITTEN in many different documents. Not UNWRITTEN.

Typical poor BBC News production, but I expected nothing better these days. Confused

(07-11-2023, 01:27 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I stopped watching the 'State Opening of Parliament'  the moment the DJ in a suit didn't challenge someone who claimed we didn't have a written constitution.

He obviously did little research. Our constitution is 'uncodified', which means it's WRITTEN in many different documents. Not UNWRITTEN.
You are factually right, but I think this is one of those cases where oversimplified but understandable terminology is justifiable over more accurate yet opaque jargon. Speaking to a general audience, I would say that unwritten is an acceptable substitution for uncodified as the audience will understand the term and I doubt many viewers will think that all of British constitutional law is literally not written down anywhere. I've also seen the argument before that unwritten in these terms refers to a single constitutional document having not been written, rather than nothing have been written down.

It's like I wouldn't expect a presenter to pull anybody up on using the term 'First Past the Post', even if such a term is looked down upon by political scientists for being an outright misnomer (Single-Member Plurality voting is a relative system, there is no post that candidates have to cross to win).

A very moving end to the One today with a nice tribute to George Alagiah.

(07-11-2023, 02:26 PM)DTV Wrote:  You are factually right, but I think this is one of those cases where oversimplified but understandable terminology is justifiable over more accurate yet opaque jargon. Speaking to a general audience, I would say that unwritten is an acceptable substitution for uncodified as the audience will understand the term and I doubt many viewers will think that all of British constitutional law is literally not written down anywhere. I've also seen the argument before that unwritten in these terms refers to a single constitutional document having not been written, rather than nothing have been written down.

It's like I wouldn't expect a presenter to pull anybody up on using the term 'First Past the Post', even if such a term is looked down upon by political scientists for being an outright misnomer (Single-Member Plurality voting is a relative system, there is no post that candidates have to cross to win).
Technically, it is also unwritten.

There is no document called “The UK Constitution’”. Our constitutional settlement is, in fact, unwritten as the law that governs the country is a mixture of traditional procedure under the prerogative powers (excised by, or on behalf of, the monarch via the Royal Prerogative), laws enacted by Parliament (which technically derives it’s authority from the monarch “appointing a government”; traditionally done after an election but legally permissible at any time) and case law precedent. The prerogative powers, as uncodified in any document, are not written down anywhere - merely exercised. Exactly how they can be used is a point of debate even amongst constitutional scholars as they are only bound by precedent, not written law.

All of these things put together make up our constitution, so it is correct to say that it is unwritten - both because it is not a single written document, like many other countries; and also because many aspects of it are not formally written down at all.

If you think that, even then, you would prefer the word were not used and it be described as not codified, the point above (that simplification to allow the majority of layman to understand what is essentially meant, even if the wording is not legally identical in meaning) is a valid one.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, chrisherald

(07-11-2023, 02:35 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  A very moving end to the One today with a nice tribute to George Alagiah.

It still seems a bit unreal that he isn't presenting BBC News. I don't see much of the One these days - in fact for many years - with working full time, but he remains closely associated with the bulletin for me as Anna's Ford's 'understudy' in the China red and cream era. I lost track of the One as the years went by, but for me the bulletin is always associated with Anna, George and Ed Stourton.

(07-11-2023, 02:35 PM)Yorksman Wrote:  A very moving end to the One today with a nice tribute to George Alagiah.
For the benefit of others who haven’t seen the news at one the reason the tribute was played out today was that a memorial service has been held for his friends and colleagues.
This may also explain some of the unexpected choices during the state opening coverage as I would expect that a lot of the people who had been suggested would have been in attendance and therefore unable to be at work.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

Apologies if this has been posted before but there's a new programme hosted by Katty Kay airing in 10 days time called "Influential with Katty Kay". From what has been released so far I've got to say I absolutely adore the purple/pink colour scheme on the programme.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 7 users Like callumwatchestelly's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jayesyn, LDN, oscillon

This looks good! The colour scheme looks lovely

Very happy to see them using Katty a bit more onscreen given since her return in a new role she's not appeared onscreen as regularly
[-] The following 5 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, interestednovice, thePineapple