BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

It’s so bizarre that the sound quality from a live OB from Gaza has less background noise than the crappy balcony ‘studio’. They just switched back to Frankie and the contrast was really noticeable.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chud's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

The news app has just hit a new low for me. The 4th article listed in the “latest news” is the news story that in years to come people will ask where were you when “Harry Style’s buzz cut reveal lights up fan debate”.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 3 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

(16-11-2023, 02:27 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  The news app has just hit a new low for me. The 4th article listed in the “latest news” is the news story that in years to come people will ask where were you when “Harry Style’s buzz cut reveal lights up fan debate”.

It’s showing quite a way down on the home screen for me? 

That said - the article was published 25 minutes ago so it’s probably fair enough if it’s in a list of the most recent stories? It’s flagged as a Newsbeat article. The latest stories list (which I have to navigate to) lists everything in order of posting, not really sure what else you expect them to do.

(16-11-2023, 02:34 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It’s showing quite a way down on the home screen for me? 

That said - the article was published 25 minutes ago so it’s probably fair enough if it’s in a list of the most recent stories? It’s flagged as a Newsbeat article. The latest stories list (which I have to navigate to) lists everything in order of posting, not really sure what else you expect them to do.

Mine hasn’t updated then again. Old app seemed to update every time I opened it, since they’ve made changes it doesn’t. 

I’ve got no issue that the latest stories are listed in order else it wouldn’t be the latest section it would be a random list. My point was is Harry Styles having a buzz cut and his fans talking about it really newsworthy? Everyone has haircuts, many have dramatic changes and many will become the focus of comments within the fan base. Is it really newsworthy for an article.  I could imagine it on a celebrity gossip website but does the bbc really need to waste time on that when some days on my local section I’ve got 4 stories listed and the last two are over a day old.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 3 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, interestednovice

(16-11-2023, 02:27 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  The news app has just hit a new low for me. The 4th article listed in the “latest news” is the news story that in years to come people will ask where were you when “Harry Style’s buzz cut reveal lights up fan debate”.
Not that unusual these days; typically, one of the four with-photograph-but-not-main stories on the website will now be entertainment and/or fluff (at time of writing, the fourth story is about reviews for The Crown). I suppose they'd argue it's an effort to both show a greater range of stories and to emulate a TV bulletin headline sequence in which the last (i.e., fifth or sixth) item will be more light-hearted and not implied to be the fifth or sixth most important story in the world. Nonetheless, it does always stick out for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(16-11-2023, 02:42 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Mine hasn’t updated then again. Old app seemed to update every time I opened it, since they’ve made changes it doesn’t. 

I’ve got no issue that the latest stories are listed in order else it wouldn’t be the latest section it would be a random list. My point was is Harry Styles having a buzz cut and his fans talking about it really newsworthy? Everyone has haircuts, many have dramatic changes and many will become the focus of comments within the fan base. Is it really newsworthy for an article.  I could imagine it on a celebrity gossip website but does the bbc really need to waste time on that when some days on my local section I’ve got 4 stories listed and the last two are over a day old.

This is fair.

(16-11-2023, 12:21 PM)Chud Wrote:  It’s so bizarre that the sound quality from a live OB from Gaza has less background noise than the crappy balcony ‘studio’. They just switched back to Frankie and the contrast was really noticeable.

I have never noticed any background noise from the balcony studio. In fact I can't really tell the difference between it and Studio C when it's locked off on the presenter. Same background. Same picture quality. Same sound.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 2 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(16-11-2023, 10:29 PM)Moz Wrote:  I have never noticed any background noise from the balcony studio. In fact I can't really tell the difference between it and Studio C when it's locked off on the presenter. Same background. Same picture quality. Same sound.

The noise was very noticeable this afternoon. Distractingly noticeable.

(16-11-2023, 06:41 AM)ALV Wrote:  My impression is that 2300, 0000 is still staffed by a full gallery team at NBH's Studio C, producing graphics and everything else for Newsday in Singapore. The only thing coming out from Singapore is an OS feed of the studio cameras. 

0100's edition of Newsday is produced by Singapore (for pilot purposes?) and there's only one staff at NBH gallery generating the flipper for both UK and World feed because Singapore's systems are unable to generate it (hence for World feed, the TX routing would be Singapore -> NBH Studio C -> Red Bee Pres)

twitter.com 

Based on this tweet below, I'm not sure if the Washington overnight bulletins (0200-0500) is still being produced from London or is now originating completely from Washington (including graphics, flipper) when WNA's new graphics launched a few weeks ago... In the latter case, there probably will only be 1 staff in the NBH gallery relaying the Washington feed for the UK feed, while Red Bee takes Washington's feed directly. Nevertheless, it will eventually originate completely from Washington (for the World feed).

twitter.com 
I think the countdown despite being the same still is played out by the respective galleries, interesting with Newsday if there’s a problem in Singapore do they still have a backup presenter in London as I noticed on one of the monitors studio c with the Newsday lighting.

(16-11-2023, 11:10 PM)freeview87 Wrote:  The noise was very noticeable this afternoon. Distractingly noticeable.

I noticed it very obviously yesterday morning. I thought at first they’d left the sound up on the news conference they’d just been covering.

I don’t have a problem with a bit of newsroom background noise if it’s clear they’re broadcasting from the newsroom, but as Moz rightly said, it does looks
like they’re in a studio – so the background noise seems totally out of place.

I like the idea of broadcasting from the newsroom – it can add some dynamism and urgency to the channel. So why try to hide the fact with that screen?
[-] The following 8 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, bkman1990, chris, chrisherald, JJJJ, oscillon, Rxtx