BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(22-11-2023, 07:32 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  BBC News at Six from Hull with Reeta joined by Coletta Smith but also Louise Lear on location with the weather. Sophie in the studio for the other news.
Beautifully lit and shot I thought - compared to a lot of the ‘on the road’ OBs, it stood out.
[-] The following 5 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, Deejay, ilsondan15, interestednovice, thePineapple

Quite a bit of background noises with Anna Foster co-anchoring the News at One from Israel. Sounded like hammering etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Superman1986

(24-11-2023, 02:10 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Quite a bit of background noises with Anna Foster co-anchoring the News at One from Israel. Sounded like hammering etc.

The sound was poor on the live from Dublin due to local youths circling round the reporter on bikes, and then on the live from Oxford Street you could hear the shoppers passing by better than the reporter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

(24-11-2023, 02:25 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The sound was poor on the live from Dublin due to local youths circling round the reporter on bikes, and then on the live from Oxford Street you could hear the shoppers passing by better than the reporter.

The Oxford Street live insert sounded like they were using the mic on top of the camera rather than the reporter's lav mic.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bkman1990, TJTSW

Maybe an audio-input selection error, where both mics were available and they somehow ended up using the wrong one. Or the reporter’s mic failed last minute so they improvised with the built-in one, perhaps.

They kinds of things happen with live OBs, I think most viewers are quite forgiving to be honest. Half the time it’s more about the “atmosphere” than what is being said anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald

Insiders do not expect Huw Edwards to return after the conclusion of the internal review. Though the i reports the full terms of his departure might not be straightforward as his side insist he has done nothing illegal.

What a sad and messy way to end a distinguished and well respected career.

inews.co.uk 
[-] The following 8 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Spencer, Stuart, Superman1986, Toby brown, TVFan

Quote:insist he has done nothing illegal
He hasn't. Insistance shouldn't come into it, the facts of the case as reported elsewhere are clear he hasn't. Both SWP and the MPS saying he hasn't on their assessment. Whichever way you look at it, he has not broken the law (Sexual Offences Act) - if he had he would have been facing criminal charges (either arrested and charged or reported/postal charged).

The internal review is more of a conduct matter conducted by an employer, with a lower burden of proof (balance of probability over ARD).

It is sad though, but should it end someone's career? He's no different to MPs that have bought products from such vendors or used the odd brass.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mike's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart

(24-11-2023, 10:52 PM)Mike Wrote:  The internal review is more of a conduct matter conducted by an employer, with a lower burden of proof (balance of probability over ARD).

It is sad though, but should it end someone's career? He's no different to MPs that have bought products from such vendors or used the odd brass.
I don't want to comment on this specific case as this isn't the place in which to do it.

However, I worked in HR for many years and every organisation has a code of conduct.  If you breach that, then your employment ends. Nothing to do with judgements of morality, it's effectively just breaching your 'written particulars of employment'.

Nothing is ever made public as that would breach GDPR.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

(25-11-2023, 02:33 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I don't want to comment on this specific case as this isn't the place in which to do it.

However, I worked in HR for many years and every organisation has a code of conduct.  If you breach that, then your employment ends. Nothing to do with judgements of morality, it's effectively just breaching your 'written particulars of employment'.

Nothing is ever made public as that would breach GDPR.

Agreed. 99.9% of this case is outside the remit of this forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, Stuart

Agree - although presentation wise it's the sort of thing historically they'd draw a line under by having a new look to distance themselves from the past. Sadly just can't see that happening, and I guess the argument the look is associated with BBC News as a whole rather than Huw is a valid one.

Presenter wise I don't see much changing either as much as now would be the perfect time for a 1999 style realignment of the main roles. That's not seen as important nowadays and practically it probably makes more sense to have a team across the 6/10 doing fewer days but doubling up more often.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer