BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

x.com 

When the hell did this happen?
[-] The following 4 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, interestednovice

At least that Twitter clip keeps to the point. Clearly just showing the crew she's lost a ring on her finger.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

Maryam has responded

twitter.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, interestednovice, oscillon, Roger Darthwell

It is clearly a middle finger.

I don't want Maryam's head to roll or anything but this just confirms my view of her. She is an ok broadcaster but not up to the standard of BBC World, or what it used to be. I can't imagine David Jessel, Martine Dennis or Nisha Pillai doing this. Because these people did not come to work to fool around, which is what Maryam seems to be doing, with her little stunts at the end of the bulletins etc. She wanted that viral moment and now she sure got one.

At the same time, it is a reflection of where BBC News is right now. A place where no one seems to care that much anymore and where anything goes.
[-] The following 11 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Chud, derek500, interestednovice, JJJJ, JK08, Pips2022, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, SuperSajuuk

(07-12-2023, 10:57 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  It is clearly a middle finger.

I don't want Maryam's head to roll or anything but this just confirms my view of her. She is an ok broadcaster but not up to the standard of BBC World, or what it used to be. I can't imagine David Jessel, Martine Dennis or Nisha Pillai doing this. Because these people did not come to work to fool around, which is what Maryam seems to be doing, with her little stunts at the end of the bulletins etc. She wanted that viral moment and now she sure got one.

At the same time, it is a reflection of where BBC News is right now. A place where no one seems to care that much anymore and where anything goes.

How - objectively - do you know that "she wanted that viral moment"?

Go on... how?

And while you're occupying the inside of her head, perhaps you could give us other profound insights like whether she likes sugar in her tea or not.

Reactions like this are why on-air people often end up hating being in the public eye. Reactionary tosh devoid of any intellectual merit.

I think if standards were a bit better like they were a few years ago then this incident would have been laughed off and not reported on. A lot of people feel that the bar is being lowered all the time.
[-] The following 7 users Like Chud's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, interestednovice, oscillon, Pips2022, Reith85

"I was joking around a bit with the team in the gallery"

10 seconds before going on air? What a terrible excuse.
[-] The following 3 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

I think if this had been the old news24/news channel days people would have laughed it off more as there was that more relaxed/familiar approach. One only has to think of Simon Mccoy who q admitted he used to put pads of paper on the autocue and of course the whole Thomaz situation.
That relaxed approach has been lost and as a result it’s harder to laugh these things off especially as there seems to be so many of these small incidents of things not going right anymore and that the standards seem to be slipping. 
IMO it’s just more evidence that the channel no longer has that good will towards it that there once was as isn’t really what any audience wants.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

(07-12-2023, 01:07 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I think if this had been the old news24/news channel days people would have laughed it off more as there was that more relaxed/familiar approach. One only has to think of Simon Mccoy who q admitted he used to put pads of paper on the autocue and of course the whole Thomaz situation.
That relaxed approach has been lost and as a result it’s harder to laugh these things off especially as there seems to be so many of these small incidents of things not going right anymore and that the standards seem to be slipping. 
IMO it’s just more evidence that the channel no longer has that good will towards it that there once was as isn’t really what any audience wants.
A much-more nuanced analysis.

My god, the confected outrage over these kinds of things bores me to death. Same story every time - some small mistake or moment of accidentally on air silliness that virtually nobody who actually watched it cared about blown way out of proportion by some po-faced grudge-seekers whose end goal is what exactly?

It's one second of one day of a 24-hour news channel. It'd be different if it was deliberate or offensive to anybody beyond those who want to be offended, but it isn't. The presenter has apologised, anybody who still has an issue needs to get over it and move on. There's no need for pages of comment over something so inconsequential.