BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Wasn’t there talk of A being made into a ‘real’ set once upon a time?
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • cando, chrisherald

(24-12-2023, 12:45 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Wasn’t there talk of A being made into a ‘real’ set once upon a time?
I think possibly on here, but I'm not sure it was ever serious.

Unfortunately, there are some in BBC News who retain an unhealthy attachment to gimmicks like VR election night graphics, so could never see them ditching their green screen monstrosity outright - I mean, heaven forfend where we'd be without Jeremy Vine patronisingly explaining the word majority from a PS2-level Downing Street to the political nerds watching election night at 3am.
[-] The following 11 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, interestednovice, kookaburra, LDN, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer, Will

Yes, for some reason they love their virtual election sets!

I remember John Stewart did a segment on it in, I think, 2010 where he described the ITV green room as “bored pundits looking like they’ve missed their flight” due to it appearing like an airport lounge, while the BBC’s virtual House of Commons came in for criticism for having MPs who looked like “creepy Madame Tussaud’s wax “.

It was pretty funny because it was, of course, completely right!
[-] The following 5 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart, UTVLifer

So does the combined domestic and world news mean that the UK feed will have fireworks from a different time zone each TOTH next week?

Probably, at least in major/popular time zones.

The old UK NC always used to show fireworks from around the world anyway, so I doubt the merged service would be any different.

(24-12-2023, 12:57 AM)DTV Wrote:  I think possibly on here, but I'm not sure it was ever serious.

Unfortunately, there are some in BBC News who retain an unhealthy attachment to gimmicks like VR election night graphics, so could never see them ditching their green screen monstrosity outright - I mean, heaven forfend where we'd be without Jeremy Vine patronisingly explaining the word majority from a PS2-level Downing Street to the political nerds watching election night at 3am.

Have we had an election night run through in Studio B? Could we just see the curved screen and touchscreen used - in recent years they've used a touchscreen in addition to the virtual screen anyhow.

I suspect too it's also handy to break away from the main studio for such segments to change guests etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(24-12-2023, 05:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have we had an election night run through in Studio B? Could we just see the curved screen and touchscreen used - in recent years they've used a touchscreen in addition to the virtual screen anyhow.

I suspect too it's also handy to break away from the main studio for such segments to change guests etc.
We may well see a trial run in May for the local elections.

I think the days of huge sets in TC1 or at Elstree are long gone. They managed perfectly well with the last iteration of Studio B, which looked rather nice with bits of AR all over the place IIRC.

However, I don't think the empty white warehouse that is currently Studio B will look as effective.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer

(24-12-2023, 06:47 PM)Stuart Wrote:  We may well see a trial run in May for the local elections.

I think the days of huge sets in TC1 or at Elstree are long gone. They managed perfectly well with the last iteration of Studio B, which looked rather nice with bits of AR all over the place IIRC.

However, I don't think the empty white warehouse that is currently Studio B will look as effective.

We’ve already had a trial run - there were local elections this year that used the current set in Studio B and I think it looked quite nice, certainly better than the awful VR ‘empty NBH’ that they chucked on top of the old set at the 2019 general election. In comparison, the newsroom they added to the balcony screens for the local elections this year was particularly effective:

www.linkedin.com 
[-] The following 14 users Like Critique's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, bkman1990, Brekkie, chaose, chrisherald, DTV, interestednovice, Jayesyn, lepeterrr, oscillon, RhysJR, TVFan, UTVLifer

This year's BBC News Christmas outro

Merry Christmas to everyone here

x.com 
[-] The following 9 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AIB01WB, chrisherald, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Michael Wotton, Reith85, Rolling News, Stuart, UTVLifer

I like that outro very much, it has a playfulness to it. Also great to see a correct BBC News logo!

I do think it’s a nice touch that the BBC bother with Christmas outros, it keeps things festive (even if the news can seem dry) and ties in nicely with other Christmas pres. Well done to all involved.

I would also like to add Christmas wishes to all, I hope the day of enjoyable for everybody here.
[-] The following 10 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AIB01WB, arbrax, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Reith85, RhysJR, Rolling News, Stuart, UTVLifer