BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(14-01-2024, 12:25 PM)James Wrote:  I wonder how they'd handle things now if Studio B had a major failure (as has happened once or twice since it's launch). Previously, they relocated Network to studio E.

Now this isn't possible, I'd guess they'd relocate news channel to D, to allow Network and London to use C.

My guess is the opposite; I think they’d keep the NC in C and move network into D. London is already in there, and I’m sure network bulletins in the past have come from D during periods of maintenance. The only time I’ve known network to come from C is on strike days, although I might be wrong.

I guess it’s also possible the 6 and 10 could come from the Millbank studios if needed.
[-] The following 7 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, James, Stuart, watchingtv

(14-01-2024, 01:02 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  My guess is the opposite; I think they’d keep the NC in C and move network into D. London is already in there, and I’m sure network bulletins in the past have come from D during periods of maintenance. The only time I’ve known network to come from C is on strike days, although I might be wrong.

I guess it’s also possible the 6 and 10 could come from the Millbank studios if needed.

I forgot about Millbank. My reasoning for using C instead of D is that D would be quite restrictive for the handover to BBC London in terms of size, whereas with C, they could start BBC London from the catwalk, and end Network from the desk (or vice versa).
[-] The following 4 users Like James's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, Rolling News

I think, as we saw earlier this week, they’d just use B but in a paired back way. I suspect when there are issues it’s just been easier to decamp before, but now it’s not you just work around the problem the majority of the time.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

(14-01-2024, 12:26 PM)Worzel Wrote:  The pres geeks will like this one.

Really good use of studio B last night, with some different camera angles and lighting to boot...

www.bbc.co.uk 

Maybe I’m just becoming miserable then further i progress through my late 30 but it just feels to much like they can’t decide where the present from. I sometime think screen where they do the weather isn’t needed. They could easily have present it on the curved screen or even at the monolith.

It was nice to see different colours and the different angles tho.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 3 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Dougal

(14-01-2024, 04:47 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Maybe I’m just becoming miserable then further i progress through my late 30 but it just feels to much like they can’t decide where the present from. I sometime think screen where they do the weather isn’t needed. They could easily have present it on the curved screen or even at the monolith.

It was nice to see different colours and the different angles tho.
I liked B when it was launched. Something a bit different and they used the studio space reasonably well. But…

I’ve come to the conclusion it’s a bit of a waste. A couple of large screens in different parts of a studio with a fake background. No AR graphics in bulletins (as was promised). No walking between presentation areas any longer. I don’t see the point of B.

Far fitter if they a) refurb E quickly with similar features the desk, a live newsroom background, a tower screen, etc. and b) give B over to Newsnight, some news channel bulletins (The World Today, Context).
[-] The following 2 users Like Dougal's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

(14-01-2024, 07:50 PM)Dougal Wrote:  No AR graphics in bulletins (as was promised).
For me, one of the pleasant surprises. Expect to be let down on election night though - just can't avoid providing a few more examples of how not to design infographics.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, Dougal, UTVLifer

(14-01-2024, 08:48 PM)DTV Wrote:  For me, one of the pleasant surprises. Expect to be let down on election night though - just can't avoid providing a few more examples of how not to design infographics.

To be fair, if they stick with the elexagon graphics (as I expect they will) they will be fine, it'll just be what unpleasant infographics they design for the inevitable Jeremy Vine shtick in Studio A that will let the side down
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • chrisherald

I think it would work better for something like newsnight. It needs a programme which requires the presenter to move from maybe a report to talking to some guests in the same story so they need to walk across the studio whilst talking to camera. It just feels odd in a bulletin because it’s generally one story after the other so when they’re walking between presentation points it feels like they’ve not made it on time. It still just feels too big too.

Did they have Jeremy Vine last time? I thought he was replaced by Sophie with the big map made of hexagons or have I just blotted him out of my memory?

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ViridianFan's post:
  • chrisherald

(14-01-2024, 07:50 PM)Dougal Wrote:  I liked B when it was launched. Something a bit different and they used the studio space reasonably well. But…

I’ve come to the conclusion it’s a bit of a waste. A couple of large screens in different parts of a studio with a fake background. No AR graphics in bulletins (as was promised). No walking between presentation areas any longer. I don’t see the point of B.

Far fitter if they a) refurb E quickly with similar features the desk, a live newsroom background, a tower screen, etc. and b) give B over to Newsnight, some news channel bulletins (The World Today, Context).

Huw was really the only person who ever made use of all of the presentation areas, walking between areas etc. He really took ownership of the studio when it launched and it was only ever him and George who kept going with the walk from the desk at the end of the bulletin.

If the NC ever did any bulletins from B that would need them to employ someone to operate the autocue......
[-] The following 2 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • chrisherald, Rolling News

Surely the decision on how the studio is used during a bulletin lies with the director rather than presenter though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, Reith85