BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(06-02-2024, 04:50 PM)DTV Wrote:  It is genuinely frustrating, because a BBC push notification should be a useful public service tool, but they seem determined to irritate everybody into turning it off. While the comment pieces by Mason or Kuennssberg might be the most egregious abuses of it, it's the frequency of low-level stories that is the bigger problem. It should be one or two times a day most; if a story wouldn't lead a network news bulletin, it isn't push noteworthy.

I turned mine off quite a while back when I was getting breaking news notifications at night during an Oscars ceremony. Agree, it should be for things that are genuine stories that would cause breaking of the story on the tv news, not something that was generally expected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mccanmat's post:
  • chrisherald

Maryam earlier introducing the hour “I’m Maryam Moshiri outside Buckingham Palace, this is BBC News.”

Once again missing a trick.

Should have been “Live from Buckingham Palace. This is BBC News.”

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 10 users Like Moz's post:
  • aaron_scotland, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, fatal paper cut, ginnyfan, interestednovice, Jayesyn, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(06-02-2024, 07:58 PM)mccanmat Wrote:  I turned mine off quite a while back when I was getting breaking news notifications at night during an Oscars ceremony. Agree, it should be for things that are genuine stories that would cause breaking of the story on the tv news, not something that was generally expected.

This is sadly a modern phenomenon. I think I have turned off notifications for everything apart from my bank. Even emails have none, I just wait to I see the icon. I agree any notification should be actual breaking news only. Sky are second worse.

Yes, same here. I turned of BBC News notifications very quickly after installing it and only have messages and bank notifications now.

It's the same on TV though - we're used to it now but most breaking news on news channels is probably overdone. It's the "news alerts" which are the worst - usually just promoting their own content rather than flagging something important coming up.

(03-02-2024, 07:23 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Chief Presenter Sally Bundock has spoken!

twitter.com 

It seems the press release has now been updated to include Sally.

www.bbc.com 

(06-02-2024, 03:48 PM)Keith Wrote:  Going back to the studios I wonder if there's any possibility long term once E is operational again that either A or C might get refitted for World Service multipurpose use, similar to what Studios L and K are currently used for.

From what I've read at least L has a low grid due to being converted office space, and neither L or K have (studio) walls. Presumably at some point L and K will also require upgrading, and I imagine that moving into a vacant studio space would benefit those using the studio, as well as those having to work near L & K.

Arguably if vacated L or K could then be refitted for 'visualised podcast/radio' productions. That might be useful given that nearby Wogan House has or very soon will be vacated, as well as the BBC's recent cost-cutting radio/TV simulcast attempts.

L is now officially mothballed, but yes it was converted office space with a low ceiling. It launched without walls but glass ones were added later.

K has had walls since launch but is also in converted office space so has a low ceiling.

44D, the old BBC Arabic green screen studio, is now the World Service multimedia studio. The tech is experimental, using vMix and NDI/Dante instead of Mosart and fixed cable lines.
[-] The following 10 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Keith, LDN, matthieu1221, RhysJR, Stuart, TVFan, UTVLifer

I'm not as fussed as others about the silent non-breaking news notifications, but one this morning on a feature based on Gregg Wallace's daily routine is a low.
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • leewilliams, TVFan

Some different faces tonight - Luxmy Gopal presenting the evening/late news and Christopher Blancett of BBC Scotland presenting the national weather forecast.
[-] The following 2 users Like DrewF's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

(10-02-2024, 06:48 PM)DrewF Wrote:  Some different faces tonight - Luxmy Gopal presenting the evening/late news and Christopher Blancett of BBC Scotland presenting the national weather forecast.

I live in the East Midlands region and noticed in between the end of the local bulletin and the start of the National weather forecast it very briefly cut to the News Channel feed. Did this happen anywhere else?
[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • interestednovice, Superman1986

(10-02-2024, 06:56 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  I live in the East Midlands region and noticed in between the end of the local bulletin and the start of the National weather forecast it very briefly cut to the News Channel feed. Did this happen anywhere else?

After Look East tonight for me, the programme ended and then showed a Politics East advert before the weather came on.
[-] The following 2 users Like harryb's post:
  • interestednovice, Rolling News