BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(05-03-2024, 09:34 PM)Keith Wrote:  It's worth noting though that the News Channel has had several UK opt-outs with a presenter on the balcony in the past year. Presumably some skeleton crew have had to be available to provide this service. One assumes that these staff may be redeployed for the proper UK daytime service.

This is my point - does the BBC want to provide a full, professional UK daytime service, as we saw 9am - 6pm before the merger - utilizing a full studio with proper TOTH's & headline sequences, or will it be an absolute bare bones, skeleton staffed service, with one presenter on the balcony with a single camera, no TOTH's or headlines - so basically an all day version of the current UK opt out.
[-] The following 6 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, Ma76, Quantum+83

(05-03-2024, 06:11 PM)Chud Wrote:  Looks like there’s some kind of rehearsals going on in E. Nothing seems to have changed yet, catwalk screens still the same and same cameras moving around. Looked like the World Today branding on the screens.

There have been some tweaks/updates in E, but it's still a work in progress AIUI.

Budget Day tomorrow and once again it's the BBC2 politics team that cover it. Quite unusual nowadays for a flagship event not to be on BBC but it's been on BBC2 for decades. Just wondering if it was ever on BBC1?

Presumably TV coverage only began when coverage of Parliament began too.

(05-03-2024, 11:43 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Budget Day tomorrow and once again it's the BBC2 politics team that cover it. Quite unusual nowadays for a flagship event not to be on BBC but it's been on BBC2 for decades. Just wondering if it was ever on BBC1?

The BBC did have TV coverage of the Budget before it was properly televised but with a mix of analysis and audio of key moments from the Commons.
[-] The following 3 users Like Division2023's post:
  • Brekkie, Stuart, UTVLifer

I'm glad the BBC is at least undoing part of the merger, I found the channel was unwatchable when it happened.
[-] The following 4 users Like ABC Australia's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Juicy Joe, TJTSW

(05-03-2024, 11:43 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Budget Day tomorrow and once again it's the BBC2 politics team that cover it. Quite unusual nowadays for a flagship event not to be on BBC but it's been on BBC2 for decades. Just wondering if it was ever on BBC1?

I do remember Children's BBC being shunted over to BBC 2 for the afternoon for the budget (and Children's ITV being dropped entirely, I'm pretty sure). A quick look at Genome shows that it was on BBC 1 throughout the 1980s, even though there were no pictures to show, often billed as a Newsnight special. The first televised Budget in 1990 was the first on BBC 2 and it has stayed on there since.
[-] The following 4 users Like Transmission's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Spencer, thegeek

(06-03-2024, 08:54 AM)Transmission Wrote:  I do remember Children's BBC being shunted over to BBC 2 for the afternoon for the budget (and Children's ITV being dropped entirely, I'm pretty sure). A quick look at Genome shows that it was on BBC 1 throughout the 1980s, even though there were no pictures to show, often billed as a Newsnight special. The first televised Budget in 1990 was the first on BBC 2 and it has stayed on there since.

At one point when the Budget overran, they stuck with it until the 5.40pm news and the repeat edition of Home And Away was moved to 6.30pm, replacing the non-news regional stuff.

Yep, no Children's ITV aired on Budget Day.
[-] The following 2 users Like AndyB2008's post:
  • chrisherald, Transmission

(06-03-2024, 08:54 AM)Transmission Wrote:  I do remember Children's BBC being shunted over to BBC 2 for the afternoon for the budget (and Children's ITV being dropped entirely, I'm pretty sure). A quick look at Genome shows that it was on BBC 1 throughout the 1980s, even though there were no pictures to show, often billed as a Newsnight special. The first televised Budget in 1990 was the first on BBC 2 and it has stayed on there since.

I seem to remember that Children’s BBC moving to BBC2 also meant a switch of broom cupboards to the BBC2 continuity booth which was temporarily adorned with the some of the usual viewers’ artwork. Understandably it never looked like quite as much effort had gone into the decoration as in the usual broom cupboard.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald

Though by the early 90s, when CBBC moved to BBC2 it was in Pres A instead.

Phillip Schofield would often turn up in a dinner jacket and bow tie on these occasions, as a joke that BBC2 was more high brow than BBC1.
[-] The following 6 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, Bungo Bill, chrisherald, Juicy Joe, Spencer, Transmission