BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(06-03-2024, 11:11 PM)Chud Wrote:  Yeh it was noisey. How far is Millbank from College Green? It feels like it would be a better option to use a studio when you got that much noise. I know they use the Green for convenience to get interviews with the relevant people quickly.

I did notice barriers stopping people walking down the path that splits the grass. That stopped the Brexit era of placards even though still noisy, not as noisy as it could have been.

(08-03-2024, 03:50 AM)Independent Wrote:  Does the international audience even need those explanations? No one needs to be told the US secretary of state is the foreign minister or the German or Austrian Chancellor is the PM. Arguably, both Germany and Austria are less "prominent" than the UK. If the presenter says "now here in the UK", people can start figuring these out ourselves.

Reminds me of how they used to explain things on Newsround.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tardisrotor's post:
  • interestednovice

(05-03-2024, 11:43 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Budget Day tomorrow and once again it's the BBC2 politics team that cover it. Quite unusual nowadays for a flagship event not to be on BBC but it's been on BBC2 for decades. Just wondering if it was ever on BBC1?

Presumably TV coverage only began when coverage of Parliament began too.

Particularly when it’s on ITV1 as well. Can’t be many if any other events simulcast BBC2 and ITV1.

(08-03-2024, 03:50 AM)Independent Wrote:  Does the international audience even need those explanations? No one needs to be told the US secretary of state is the foreign minister or the German or Austrian Chancellor is the PM. Arguably, both Germany and Austria are less "prominent" than the UK. If the presenter says "now here in the UK", people can start figuring these out ourselves.

The BBC aren't the only ones to do it - eg Reuters' stories on the recent budget mention "the British finance minister" and "the opposition Labour party". I don't mind a news channel being specific in the right context, where people might be confused between the very different roles. Just as I'd expect domestic BBC to occasionally point out that the German chancellor is more like a prime minister.
[-] The following 4 users Like i.h's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Frances, Tardisrotor

Do they usually have a story-related image on the screen(s) during the headline on the national bulletins? Luxmy Gopal opened just now at the tower in B with a Gaza-bound barge on the tower behind her.

I also don't think it's too often the presenter links to a report from the 'touch screen' as Luxmy did after the headlines.

(09-03-2024, 11:14 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Do they usually have a story-related image on the screen(s) during the headline on the national bulletins? Luxmy Gopal opened just now at the tower in B with a Gaza-bound barge on the tower behind her.

I also don't think it's too often the presenter links to a report from the 'touch screen' as Luxmy did after the headlines.

During the headlines more recently, the tower image has shown the top story but not always.

Nice to see Luxmy doing the bulletins tonight.
[-] The following 2 users Like harryb's post:
  • RhysJR, UTVLifer

(09-03-2024, 11:25 PM)harryb Wrote:  During the headlines more recently, the tower image has shown the top story but not always.

Nice to see Luxmy doing the bulletins tonight.
Yes, it was nice to see her presenting.

Oddly, for some reason they used the OB style title sequence which is sans bouncing BBC blocks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • harryb

Excuse my poor screenshot but Laura did a preview of her show on the late news in front of Studio E. Can't see much other then towers and news catwalk screens in test mode.

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

[-] The following 5 users Like harryb's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Stuart, UTVLifer

(08-03-2024, 02:56 PM)i.h Wrote:  The BBC aren't the only ones to do it - eg Reuters' stories on the recent budget mention "the British finance minister" and "the opposition Labour party".

That, however, is a stylistic thing as Reuters are serving newsrooms around the world with the same wire drops so journalists working in, say, Canada wouldn’t be particularly well served if the copy only used British-specific terms.

Then you have POLITICO which - because of its roots in Washington - insists on using American spelling and terminology for all its content, including its UK-facing daily newsletters like Playbook even though the size of the audience reading them outside Britain must be tiny.
[-] The following 4 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(10-03-2024, 09:50 AM)leewilliams Wrote:  That, however, is a stylistic thing as Reuters are serving newsrooms around the world with the same wire drops so journalists working in, say, Canada wouldn’t be particularly well served if the copy only used British-specific terms.

Then you have POLITICO which - because of its roots in Washington - insists on using American spelling and terminology for all its content, including its UK-facing daily newsletters like Playbook even though the size of the audience reading them outside Britain must be tiny.

you mean like a news channel serving people around the world with the same material so viewers in say, Canada wouldn't be particularly well served if the script used only British specific terms?

I see people have quite strong opinions about an international-facing news channel using neutral terminology. Mine is that the British-facing news channel should use British terminology.
[-] The following 3 users Like i.h's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer