Late Night Lycett

I thought the programme on Friday was incredibly well formed, fun live programming that we haven't seen in a while. Very impressed so far.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 3 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv, PWD

Yes - it felt so fresh compared to the now very tired Last Leg which really is on it's Last Legs it feels. The sort of thing C4 should be doing, and not just late on Fridays.

The first episode felt really fresh and exciting; after a promising start, sadly the second episode was very predictable- looks like Katherine will appear every week and never get into the studio; some random ex-soap star will be running the corner shop every week; the Linda Biscuits gag was funny the first time but wears thin. Rotate these features more- it helps prevent the show from feeling tired. I really liked the first episode of this, but the second episode was just far too similar. For a live show, you want each episode to feel different.
[-] The following 5 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, chrisdafur, PERMOTIO, PWD

Can everyone please remember this is a brand new live show and needs time to find it's feet - it seems now in 2023 there is no patience from viewers to allow shows to try out new things and then see what works. Joe and his team will have no idea what is popular or not until they try it out.

The Last Leg is still very strong ratings wise, pulling in a steady weekly average of around 1.2 to 1.5 million a week. Which is perfect for Channel 4. Anything at airs at 10pm on Channel 4 and pulls in 1 million viewers or more is considered a success and The Last Leg ratings wise is very stable.

The Last Leg is more about reassurance now than being a cult hit. The show is now a decade old, and is now becoming Channel 4's answer to Have I Got News For You, where both shows are placed for stability. HIGNFY really lost it's bite when Angus Deayton was sacked in 2002, and has never really recovered from it but it still does stable business for BBC One ratings.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, PWD

Even if it’s rough around the edges I find this show far fresher than The Last Leg which has become very stale recently and very predictable with various studio set pieces that probably sound better in the meeting than they play out on air
[-] The following 8 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, cando, DeMarkay, JMT1985, Larry the Loafer, PWD, Spencer

About The Last Leg, I have noticed something they do, it is not about content, but I noticed just how long The Last Leg's first part lasts before their first commercial break is taken. Sometimes it can be as long as 25 minutes before they go to their first commercial break, does anyone know why this is, as I don't think Joe's new show follows the same path.

It seems The Last Leg crams in their three ad breaks all in the space of a half hour, which is very odd.

(08-04-2023, 09:28 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  About The Last Leg, I have noticed something they do, it is not about content, but I noticed just how long The Last Leg's first part lasts before their first commercial break is taken. Sometimes it can be as long as 25 minutes before they go to their first commercial break, does anyone know why this is, as I don't think Joe's new show follows the same path.

It seems The Last Leg crams in their three ad breaks all in the space of a half hour, which is very odd.

Joe’s show is definitely doing similar… the first bit is just shy of half an hour & the last 2 parts are incredibly short.

Cats Countdown also seems to have a pretty lengthy part 1.
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • bkman1990, JMT1985, thePineapple

I guess the thinking is people are more like to keep watching if they’ve already invested 30 minutes in it. I’m a Celeb seems to work a similar way.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, JMT1985

Yes, think it's a good ad structure really rather than one just every 15 minutes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay

(09-04-2023, 10:54 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, think it's a good ad structure really rather than one just every 15 minutes.
Although you leave people thinking there are more adverts than programme when it’s the last half of the show that they are all crammed into it
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, JMT1985