Late Night Lycett

I do think The Last Leg is very tired now though it is still the 3rd most watched C4 show of the week, so probably going nowhere though they have said they're cutting the number of episodes. I assume The Lateish Show will also return - if they each have 2 x 8 part series a year that would fill Friday nights nicely for the year though suspect they won't quote stretch that far - probably one series a year for Mo and Joe and still three for The Last Leg, even if shorter.

The Lateish Show is coming back, it has already been confirmed there will be at least a Christmas special for 2023

The Last Leg is now the bread and butter business for Channel 4 on a Friday night along with Gogglebox - in the same way A Question of Sport and Have I Got News For You are bread and butter business for Friday night BBC One - you can argue that all of these shows have declined in content, but for both channels, they are doing reasonably well and are stable fixtures which is what some viewers want in their lives these days

(26-08-2023, 12:39 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The Lateish Show is coming back, it has already been confirmed there will be at least a Christmas special for 2023

The Last Leg is now the bread and butter business for Channel 4 on a Friday night along with Gogglebox - in the same way A Question of Sport and Have I Got News For You are bread and butter business for Friday night BBC One - you can argue that all of these shows have declined in content, but for both channels, they are doing reasonably well and are stable fixtures which is what some viewers want in their lives these days
Last Leg is so tired now though- breath of fresh air when it started, still brilliant in the Paralympic shows but the regular weekly show needs to be put out of its misery.  At least HIGNFY and QOS have ever changing guests, Last Leg always pulls the guests from the same pool and even then it’s still only Adam, Josh and Alex that get a word in- it was much better in the early days with one guest per show rather the current 2 per show (and occasionally more) format. I also think that people watch comedy as an escape from the toxic reality of the news- Last Leg just reminds them of it and puts a real downer on things. HIGNFY manages to avoid this by just having gag after gag after gag, but Last Leg sometimes does the “Adam gets preachy” bits which I’m not a fan of, and then all the “Rishi Sunak is a DICK!” every week- it’s just lazy comedy at this point and I think they’ve clearly been phoning it in for a few years now.
[-] The following 3 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • Brekkie, Larry the Loafer, Pips2022

Well you can never satisfy everyone, Channel 4 will look at the ratings and the stability of the show and will continue with it as it still pulls in over a million viewers on the night for their 10pm slot - again, bread and butter business for Channel 4

I agree the content of the show is very tired, but their idea of having more guests was to give it a fresh feel each week, which I again agree with you, their guest pool is really poor and it needs better guests booked than the usual circuit of guests they get.

(27-08-2023, 07:00 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  I also think that people watch comedy as an escape from the toxic reality of the news- Last Leg just reminds them of it and puts a real downer on things. HIGNFY manages to avoid this by just having gag after gag after gag, but Last Leg sometimes does the “Adam gets preachy” bits which I’m not a fan of, and then all the “Rishi Sunak is a DICK!” every week- it’s just lazy comedy at this point and I think they’ve clearly been phoning it in for a few years now.
I suspect when it comes to criticising the government The Last Leg has arguably benefited from it being a Conservative government to date. This has made it relatively easy to play to large parts of its audience.

I suspect this might become harder after the next election, assuming polls are correct. I recall Adam saying they were accused by some of being anti-Labour/left-wing a few years ago when they criticised Corbyn whilst he was leader.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

I think the current crop of politicians have become such a parody of themselves a change of government would probably breathe new energy into many satirical shows.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • fanoftv, Gary Baldy

(25-08-2023, 05:15 PM)Nobby Wrote:  The episode where they broadcast live from a shop in Birmingham was pretty good although I didn't enjoy the episode where a dog joined the production crew so much.

Im assuming this must be a joke related to each episode being the same format, They were live from the shop every episode and the dog was in most of them too.  Big Grin

I drop in every now and again on The Last Leg to see if it's still as bad as it was the last time I watch it. I used to be an avid fan, but good lord.

What was telling was that, in an episode not too long ago, they said that they used AI to write a joke and placed it somewhere in the show to see if anyone could spot it. The irony was overlooked that, if AI can write jokes comparative to your own writers, you really need to have a look at the quality of your writing. Plenty of jokes fell flat and it was revealed that they weren't written by AI.

I'm also convinced Alex is hired partially to be Josh's hype man. He tends to laugh more at Josh's jokes than the audience. As any comedian will tell you, one laugh is much worse than no laugh.
[-] The following 2 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Gary Baldy, scottishtv

This is back and seems to be making a bit of a splash

www.bbc.co.uk 

Was a good show tonight. The OB is no longer from the shop and seems to be on the road. Also some QR are code were on screen linking to Lycett’s website with a secret video message. Lycett also refers to the streaming service as 4OD in the video message, which I doubt it by accident.