Coronation of King Charles III

(15-04-2023, 11:33 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  True, 1953 is 70 years ago after all. Anyone under the age of 75 probably doesn't remember it. And Charles could potentially last 20 years, since he's in his 70s now and his parents lived to their 90s. Nobody who WAS around for Elizabeth's coronation is likely to be around for William's, and even those who were kids at the time (i.e. in their 70s now) have a high chance of not living that long. Charles's will be their only chance to see one.

Speaking as someone born in late 1953 that certainly holds true for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bluecortina's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

The 1953 coronation was also an important event for television in Europe, as a live transmission of the ceremony was aired in many European countries such as France, West Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands. Thanks to TV links already in place, so this was the first steps for "Eurovision".
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(15-04-2023, 11:33 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  True, 1953 is 70 years ago after all. Anyone under the age of 75 probably doesn't remember it. And Charles could potentially last 20 years, since he's in his 70s now and his parents lived to their 90s. Nobody who WAS around for Elizabeth's coronation is likely to be around for William's, and even those who were kids at the time (i.e. in their 70s now) have a high chance of not living that long. Charles's will be their only chance to see one.

Agree but I do think also the majority of people around will still be there for William's coronation. My father and mother are 57 and 64 so I would hope they will be around for William. I might even be around for George
[-] The following 2 users Like shropshireguy28's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(15-04-2023, 11:13 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(15-04-2023, 10:53 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  I've noticed that myself. In terms of "event television" it will be huge but the media coverage right now seems perfunctionary.
I think the media interest will increase as we get closer to the date. Public interest is certainly visible.

It's important to remember that people in their 60s weren't around for the last one, and may not be around for the next one, so this is a once in a lifetime event for many. Whether or not you're a supporter of the monarchy, we are rather good at putting on a good display when the occasion demands it.

Oh I agree that it will be a spectacular event but from what I can tell right now the coverage seems light.

(15-04-2023, 02:38 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  

Agree but I do think also the majority of people around will still be there for William's coronation. My father and mother are 57 and 64 so I would hope they will be around for William. I might even be around for George

People probably said the same things about when Queen Victoria was seemingly going on forever, and she ultimately reigned for 64 years (admittedly coming to the throne at the age of just 18 probably helped there). Of course we had three monarchs in a period of less than 20 years in the early 1800s so you had plenty of time to read (no TV remember) about them in the newspapers.

Then of course there wasn't another one until 1901 when Victoria died, and again we had another three or four monarchs in the following 50 years, and nothing for another 70 odd years, but of course when the newsreels became a thing they became accessible to more people to see what was going on so it became less of a secret as it were.

Monarchy reigns just goes in cycles, and its more likely the next long reign won't be for a very long time, assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens, so we're in for a period of relatively short reigns (compared to Elizabeth II anyway) for a while to come. It needs somebody to come to the throne in their late teens or 20s to get a "decent" length reign on the books.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:

(16-04-2023, 08:35 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(15-04-2023, 02:38 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Agree but I do think also the majority of people around will still be there for William's coronation. My father and mother are 57 and 64 so I would hope they will be around for William. I might even be around for George

People probably said the same things about when Queen Victoria was seemingly going on forever, and she ultimately reigned for 64 years (admittedly coming to the throne at the age of just 18 probably helped there).  Of course we had three monarchs in a period of less than 20 years in the early 1800s so you had plenty of time to read (no TV remember) about them in the newspapers.

Then of course there wasn't another one until 1901 when Victoria died, and again we had another three or four monarchs in the following 50 years, and nothing for another 70 odd years, but of course when the newsreels became a thing they became accessible to more people to see what was going on so it became less of a secret as it were.

Monarchy reigns just goes in cycles, and its more likely the next long reign won't be for a very long time, assuming nothing out of the ordinary happens, so we're in for a period of relatively short reigns (compared to Elizabeth II anyway) for a while to come.  It needs somebody to come to the throne in their late teens or 20s to get a "decent" length reign on the books.
Agreed and with Charles being in his 70's I daresay that somewhere deep in the broadcasting bowels thoughts will be turning towards William V's coronation...
[-] The following 2 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:

(15-04-2023, 12:44 PM)Bluecortina Wrote:  

Speaking as someone born in late 1953 that certainly holds true for me.
I wouldn’t be so sure of this. My parents were born in 1942 and 1943. Their parents (my grandparents) lived into their 100s and their grandparents (my great grandparents) lived into their late 90s. Should Charles reign for 20 years, I fully expect that at least one of my parents will see William ascend the throne.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dougal's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, Roger Darthwell

"You weren't alive for the last one, you might not be alive for the next one" would be an interesting promotional angle Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Dougal, Happy2001, Jeff, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(16-04-2023, 07:44 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  "You weren't alive for the last one, you might not be alive for the next one" would be an interesting promotional angle Big Grin
I agree. I saw the last one. I just look great for my age. Tongue

Coronation Street / This Morning street party announced for the day before the Coronation

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001