UK emergency alert

Got mine at 3:15pm when I turned on my phone.

I’m with EE and I got the alert at 2:59pm outside.

Amusingly, Sky News had a live stream of a phone screen in anticipation of the alert. But unfortunately it looks like their phone didn’t receive it!

www.youtube.com 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • Brekkie

Sky News and BBC News had coverage, GB News had the presenter and guests phone's audible in the studio. Talk TV had Trisha Goddard making a point to say that we wouldn't hear the alert on air, and we didn't. Ideal World made no reference directly before or after 3pm.

ITV did something that I didn't see.

Despite the alert not being heard on air, Hazel Irvine started the snooker coverage on BBC Two at about 15:00 by saying they were going to "keep calm and carry on".

What other coverage, planned or unplanned, did people see/hear?

Well, guess I'm dead.

My mum, brother and I are all with Smarty (Three). They received the alert, but I didn't...

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(23-04-2023, 03:12 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Im on Sky Mobile which piggybacks O2 I think, not sure if thats relevent to not getting it. Seems a bit of a failure then?

I'm on Virgin Mobile, another O2 MVNO and got it.

(23-04-2023, 03:57 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(23-04-2023, 03:12 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  Im on Sky Mobile which piggybacks O2 I think, not sure if thats relevent to not getting it. Seems a bit of a failure then?

I'm on Virgin Mobile, another O2 MVNO and got it.

With Virgin you could be on EE or O2, depending on when you signed up.

(23-04-2023, 03:58 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  
(23-04-2023, 03:57 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I'm on Virgin Mobile, another O2 MVNO and got it.

With Virgin you could be on EE or O2, depending on when you signed up.

Everyone has been migrated to O2. It was previously on Vodafone until last year. Customers are currently moving across to O2's customer base this year, including me next month.

(23-04-2023, 03:14 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  

I'm on Three, but I think it's an inherent issue with the system that you won't get 100% coverage, even amongst compatible enabled phones with the correct type of signal.
there shouldn't be such an issue. It is a broadcast system, so if you're connected to a UK network (as in physically in the UK, so roaming with a non-UK SIM but not if you're a UK customer currently abroad) you should receive it at the same time as everyone else. If you can get a text message or phone call you should have got this.

There is a suggestion that Three has stuffed something up as there seem to be a lot of reports of their customers not getting the alert.

FWIW, my phones (EE, Vodafone and an O2 MVNO) all seemed to get it. EE first.

(23-04-2023, 03:17 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  I switched my phone off purposely to avoid the alarm at 3pm and it still sounded when I switched my phone on at 3:15pm.

It's not a one-shot thing, they can specify how long the message is broadcast for & it's up to your phone to remember whether it received it so that you do not get repeatedly alerted. Gov.uk suggest they did it until 3.20pm.
[-] The following 2 users Like i.h's post:
  • Happy2001, London Lite

I was on The Tube at 3pm - didn’t get anything when I got to street level around 15 minutes later.