Points of View

(01-05-2023, 06:16 PM)LouBlu08 Wrote:  I don't know if there even is a point (pun kind of intended) to PoV anymore. I mean nowadays people can use social media or stuff like a TV guide magazine to get their thoughts across about shows, and I don't know who's going to make time out of their day to watch it every weekend.

I do- loved it since the Robinson era- always makes me chuckle.
[-] The following 4 users Like Gary Baldy's post:
  • AJB39, Northlad, TJTSW, WhoOdyssey

The trouble is they tend to ask for comments in advance so pre-determine the shows people comment on and then of course just dismiss any criticism anyway.

Shows they don't really care for the show anymore given it's had the same theme tune for (unbelievably) 22 years. And in its current incarnation (sans "blah-boobity") for the past 12 years.

The first outing of the theme tune can be found here:
youtu.be 

I wonder if there really is any need for POV anymore given its 62 year run. But would that give more ammo for the abolition of the licence fee then?

That clip shows how much more irreverent it was in that incarnation. It’s far too dull and worthy these days
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • chris, Larry the Loafer, Northlad

(02-05-2023, 10:10 PM)Andrew Wrote:  That clip shows how much more irreverent it was in that incarnation. It’s far too dull and worthy these days

It take a certain kind of presenter to pull that off. Nobody comes to mind at the BBC right now. Maybe Clive Myrie at a push.

chris Wrote:
Andrew Wrote:That clip shows how much more irreverent it was in that incarnation. It’s far too dull and worthy these days

It take a certain kind of presenter to pull that off. Nobody comes to mind at the BBC right now. Maybe Clive Myrie at a push.
Andrew Neil and Simon McCoy are those in right vein but no longer at the BBC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Northlad

(02-05-2023, 11:54 PM)Jon Wrote:  
chris Wrote:It take a certain kind of presenter to pull that off. Nobody comes to mind at the BBC right now. Maybe Clive Myrie at a push.
Andrew Neil and Simon McCoy are those in right vein but no longer at the BBC.
Or Martine Croxall.

(02-05-2023, 08:27 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Shows they don't really care for the show anymore given it's had the same theme tune for (unbelievably) 22 years. And in its current incarnation (sans "blah-boobity") for the past 12 years.

Clearly it isn’t considered a priority show by the BBC, but I don’t think having the same theme tune for a long time in itself is a sign that a broadcaster doesn’t care about a programme. There are loads of long-running shows that have kept the same theme for longer.

Match of The Day has had its theme for 53 years, and I don’t think anyone would say that’s a particularly unloved show by the BBC.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Brekkie

Points of View is one of those programmes where you're more likely to have seen parodies of it than the actual programmes.

I seem to remember Wogan wearing a pair of unflattering trousers which gave us a rather different Point of View.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Spencer