Demon Headmaster actor Terrence Hardiman dies aged 86

(09-05-2023, 11:04 AM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  Another day, another death it seems at the moment.

I get it is sad when someone dies but surely that's just the natural order of life. It'd be more weird if people didn't die.
[-] The following 4 users Like XIII's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Roger Darthwell, Tola

In case I'm not mistaken, didn't the CBBC Channel at launch repeat the original Demon Headmaster? I seem to recall that was around the time a lot of late 80s - mid-late 90s children's programmes from the Beeb's archive was shown, most of which were gone in around after the first year of the channel's existence bar a few

It was a role that defined the actor really. I could never look at him in anything else without thinking of him as the demon headmaster.
[-] The following 2 users Like Phil's post:
  • bkman1990, Jon

(09-05-2023, 06:14 PM)Phil Wrote:  It was a role that defined the actor really. I could never look at him in anything else without thinking of him as the demon headmaster.
I heard him do an interview with some community radio station once, think it’s on YouTube. Whilst many actors could have been bitter about only being known for one main role with that character, in his case he certainly seemed grateful for the opportunity as there is no doubt hundreds who never become household names that would love a chance like that.

(09-05-2023, 12:38 PM)James2001 Wrote:  One thing I always think about is how it was called The Demon Headmaster but he was actually only headmaster for the first 3 episodes. I think the books were much the same though.

The whole of the first book saw him as a headmaster (and the first three episodes of the first TV series, since that condensed the first two books into the show's first series.

The rest of the book series? Yeah, that was just his name. It was never revealed what the character's real name was, aside from it being a drawn out plot point in the final series of the original show, and even then it wasn't shown.

Character was obviously able to stand out on his own without a need to be a headmaster as such. It was more about the hypnotics than anything else.

2019 Headmaster is on the iPlayer and Hardiman's cameo is here (from 23:23):
www.bbc.co.uk 

"[2019 Demon Headmaster]: Every bit as creepy and terrifying as first time round even from an adult's point of view. No spoilers but if you saw the original show there comes a point where although it was tooted as a reboot it actually isn't. And that was fabulous. " - my post on TV Forum December 2019.

(09-05-2023, 06:59 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The rest of the book series?  Yeah, that was just his name.  It was never revealed what the character's real name was, aside from it being a drawn out plot point in the final series of the original show, and even then it wasn't shown.
On the last episode of the first series where they call up the names on the computer of who has clearance at downing street, the words "Mr D. " pop up before cutting away before we can see his surname. They're not suggesting he was Mr D. Headmaster, are they? 
Wink

Lloyd tweeted in tribute, and Harvey is there in the replies as well

twitter.com 

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, DJ Dave

Gillian Cross who wrote the original books the TV show was based on:
twitter.com 

(09-05-2023, 11:48 AM)sjames Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 11:43 AM)Johnr Wrote:  I bought the DVD of the original series and it takes me right back to my childhood every time I watch it!

Whatever happened to Series 2 of the revival?

I've seen comments by Gillian Cross and Emma Reeves, who wrote the screenplay that due to delays caused by Covid the BBC decided not to go ahead with it. A shame as the scripts were all written. The 2019 series was a decent continuation as it had adapted elements of the 'Total Control' book.
Understandable unfortunately. Delaying by a couple of years would mean the teenage cast aging out of their roles.

(09-05-2023, 07:05 PM)James2001 Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 06:59 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The rest of the book series?  Yeah, that was just his name.  It was never revealed what the character's real name was, aside from it being a drawn out plot point in the final series of the original show, and even then it wasn't shown.
On the last episode of the first series where they call up the names on the computer of who has clearance at downing street, the words "Mr D. " pop up before cutting away before we can see his surname. They're not suggesting he was Mr D. Headmaster, are they? 
Wink
Sounds like something the Beano comic would do - the Bash Street Kids teacher is literally called Teacher, though the character previously known as Headmaster was later renamed to Mr Headington when they introduced a new headteacher (from the 2009 Dennis & Gnasher cartoon), and had the old character demoted to a PE teacher.

(09-05-2023, 08:08 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(09-05-2023, 11:48 AM)sjames Wrote:  I've seen comments by Gillian Cross and Emma Reeves, who wrote the screenplay that due to delays caused by Covid the BBC decided not to go ahead with it. A shame as the scripts were all written. The 2019 series was a decent continuation as it had adapted elements of the 'Total Control' book.
Understandable unfortunately. Delaying by a couple of years would mean the teenage cast aging out of their roles.

(09-05-2023, 07:05 PM)James2001 Wrote:  On the last episode of the first series where they call up the names on the computer of who has clearance at downing street, the words "Mr D. " pop up before cutting away before we can see his surname. They're not suggesting he was Mr D. Headmaster, are they? 
Wink
Sounds like something the Beano comic would do - the Bash Street Kids teacher is literally called Teacher, though the character previously known as Headmaster was later renamed to Mr Headington when they introduced a new headteacher (from the 2009 Dennis & Gnasher cartoon), and had the old character demoted to a PE teacher.

Yeah but that's more of a long running joke in The Beano isn't it? They use that for all the characters they can get away with, so Dennis's Dad for example is actually called Dennis's Dad and Teacher's wife is called Mrs Teacher.