BT Sport

If anything, the Warner or Discovery name being attached to sport channels will be a mouthful and confuse viewers. I imagine that they will use the EuroSport name as it's already well established, prominent EPG positions and it just seems pointless having multiple sports brands when they can streamline into one. A new one will just be a mess. In that instance, we would end up having EuroSport 1-6 instead, with BT Sport 1-4 being renamed.
[-] The following 2 users Like rick's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, bkman1990

Can’t see them using the Eurosport brand, it’s already been said the merged operation will have a new brand and as stated it has a reputation of being basic subscription rather than a premium brand. I think they’ll also be conscious of having the word ‘Euro’ in the in post-Brexit Britain.

I think D Sport is a strong possibility or something abstract like DAZN. Although there is also a chance it’ll be brand name that relates to something that emerges out of the new group.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

(23-01-2023, 07:03 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  
(23-01-2023, 05:41 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I was browsing the BT Sport thread on the old place, and found a post where someone asked whether the channel would see its tenth birthday - it's increasingly looking like it won't.

Funny to think that, I don't think any sports channel in the UK at least (barring Premier Sports and Eurosport) has really lasted any longer than 10 years. Setanta went belly-up not even after 5.

Still, I feel like the Eurosport brand will prevail more than BT Sport will, at worst the brand rebrands into "DSport".
Sky Sports 1 comes to mind. It had that name for 21 years.

(24-01-2023, 12:01 PM)Rdd Wrote:  
(23-01-2023, 07:03 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  Funny to think that, I don't think any sports channel in the UK at least (barring Premier Sports and Eurosport) has really lasted any longer than 10 years. Setanta went belly-up not even after 5.

Still, I feel like the Eurosport brand will prevail more than BT Sport will, at worst the brand rebrands into "DSport".
Setanta lasted only less than three years as a direct to home broadcaster in the U.K, as I recall? Though they had been around in pubs and clubs since 1990 and of course Premier Sports (pre Viaplay takeover) were essentially the same people under a different name.

I presume if the long term aim is (as it seems to be) for BT to exit the JV completely down the road then the new brand probably won’t include “BT” in its name. Mind you I’m not sure about Eurosport either given its long association as a basic cable channel, suddenly morphing into a premium proposition might be a bridge too far. “DSport” is I think used in some none-European markets for what is essentially Eurosport so maybe that might be an option.
Actually, DSport in India (which did indeed use Eurosport's branding just with a different name) rebranded to Eurosport in 2020.
logos.fandom.com 

DSports in Latin America is unrelated - that D stands for DirecTV.
logos.fandom.com 

BT Eurosport is the easy solution but I suspect it may be a brand they want to be able to sell in the future. I don't think there has been any suggestion of renaming Eurosport elsewhere so I suspect that'll remain part of the package - indeed at one point there was talk of potentially a free to air sports channel as part of the deal but given how Discovery seem to be scaling back on content appearing on Quest that seems unlikely now.

(24-01-2023, 03:09 PM)Jon Wrote:  Can’t see them using the Eurosport brand, it’s already been said the merged operation will have a new brand and as stated it has a reputation of being basic subscription rather than a premium brand. I think they’ll also be conscious of having the word ‘Euro’ in the in post-Brexit Britain.

I think D Sport is a strong possibility or something abstract like DAZN. Although there is also a chance it’ll be brand name that relates to something that emerges out of the new group.
The UK is still a part of Europe though...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • bilky asko

Given BT are pulling away as a consumer brand in favour of EE and as others have said, Eurosport is not a premium brand, I'd expect something new. I think the merged Discovery+ and HBO Max in the US is expected to be called Max, so perhaps something in line with that. Who knows, will be a while still before we find out, I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • mokked

(23-01-2023, 05:41 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I was browsing the BT Sport thread on the old place, and found a post where someone asked whether the channel would see its tenth birthday - it's increasingly looking like it won't.

That’s a real shame as those studios look absolutely awesome on screen, and the picture quality coming out was pin sharp perfect HD/UHD HDR.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • Brekkie

What studio capacity does Eurosport have in West London? I can only recall seeing The Cube during Olympic and tennis coverage coming from their base (the cycling coverage I believe is from Bath?). Onviously they have quite a few of commentary rooms as well.

I suspect they do have more cappacity than that to fit the BT Sport programming.

(25-01-2023, 01:40 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  What studio capacity does Eurosport have in West London? I can only recall seeing The Cube during Olympic and tennis coverage coming from their base (the cycling coverage I believe is from Bath?). Onviously they have quite a few of commentary rooms as well.

I suspect they do have more cappacity than that to fit the BT Sport programming.

I thought it was IMG Studios for the Cube?
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • RhysJR

(26-01-2023, 09:08 AM)harshy Wrote:  
(25-01-2023, 01:40 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  What studio capacity does Eurosport have in West London? I can only recall seeing The Cube during Olympic and tennis coverage coming from their base (the cycling coverage I believe is from Bath?). Onviously they have quite a few of commentary rooms as well.

I thought it was IMG Studios for the Cube?

Correct 
twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • RhysJR