BT Sport

WBD doesn't roll off the tongue as well as TNT does, let's be fair. I think it's a pretty good choice.
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • BBI45, DE88, thomash79

(21-02-2023, 09:07 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  WBD doesn't roll off the tongue as well as TNT does, let's be fair. I think it's a pretty good choice.

TNT originally stood for Turner Network Television which as a whole name rolls off the tongue easier than Warner Brothers Discovery as well.
[-] The following 3 users Like cityprod's post:
  • BBI45, DE88, JayCasey

(21-02-2023, 10:33 PM)cityprod Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 09:07 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  WBD doesn't roll off the tongue as well as TNT does, let's be fair. I think it's a pretty good choice.

TNT originally stood for Turner Network Television which as a whole name rolls off the tongue easier than Warner Brothers Discovery as well.

The influence of the great Ted Turner lives on!
[-] The following 1 user Likes JayCasey's post:
  • sky303

I think it’s odd unless they’re looking launch a wider ‘TNT’ brand. I would imagine that’s the branding the Discovery + streaming service will morph into.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • benzj

(22-02-2023, 03:32 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think it’s odd unless they’re looking launch a wider ‘TNT’ brand. I would imagine that’s the branding the Discovery + streaming service will morph into.

I don't think so, I think they're just leveraging the existing TNT Sports brand.

I wouldn't be surprised if it all changed again once Eurosport is folded in and (HBO) Max has rebranded.

Here is more information about the branding choice of using TNT. Its already an existing brand across North America for many many many years and its been rolled out across South America in the last few years so it makes sense to begin to unify properties.

www.newscaststudio.com 

Its a very big brand on the original TNT network in Atlanta. Their studios are based at Techwood, where CNN is about to return to. TNT Sports dont have their own channel its a sub-brand of sports programming that is broadcast on TNT Entertainment network.

[Image: thumbnail_IMG_5938.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1]
[Image: NHL-on-TNT-Studio-F.jpg]
[Image: 34c348abceab22e749a66a00ed48a9ec--studio-design.jpg]
[Image: 8073241_rR46Tldna25GOUMhQ9amx9uU0Vl-ngZDSQn84o8KyJ0.jpg]
[Image: E5K7XL0XMAAMGfu?format=jpg&name=large]

(24-02-2023, 01:59 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Here is more information about the branding choice of using TNT. Its already an existing brand across North America for many many many years and its been rolled out across South America in the last few years so it makes sense to begin to unify properties.

www.newscaststudio.com 

Its a very big brand on the original TNT network in Atlanta. Their studios are based at Techwood, where CNN is about to return to. TNT Sports dont have their own channel its a sub-brand of sports programming that is broadcast on TNT Entertainment network.

We used to have TNT in the UK. It was a classic movie channel (exactly like TCM, which it was eventually renamed to).

TCM stands for Turner Classic Movies, it was launched when Ted Turner decide to monetize his massive movie collection in 1994, it was built around the 1.9 Billion acquisition of the MGM archive. Its strange they initially launched the classic movie channel under the TNT brand in the UK instead of the long time well established TCM brand....then eventually change it from TNT to TCM. TNT has been around as a general entertainment channel since 1998, but was in existence in some form since 1982 as Turner's syndication service for TBS (WTBS Atlanta)
[-] The following 2 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(26-02-2023, 12:23 AM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  TCM stands for Turner Classic Movies, it was launched when Ted Turner decide to monetize his massive movie collection in 1994, it was built around the 1.9 Billion acquisition of the MGM archive. Its strange they initially launched the classic movie channel under the TNT brand in the UK instead of the long time well established TCM brand....then eventually change it from TNT to TCM.  TNT has been around as a general entertainment channel since 1998, but was in existence in some form since 1982 as Turner's syndication service for TBS (WTBS Atlanta)

I think pretty much everyone here knows what TCM stands for, haha. To answer your question, TCM didn't exist when TNT first launched here (which was in 1993). TNT did - so Turner obviously decided to use that name in Europe.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, mouseboy33

Very OT but at one point the U.K./Irl TNT channel (perhaps all its history, even when it showed wrestling) had the full formal name of “TNT Classic Movies” and that is what it was billed as in at least some newspapers and listings magazines, though I don’t think the “Classic Movies” bit was used on air. It wasn’t on cable in Dublin in that era though, I know rural locations served by the old Irish Multichannel did have it. It evolved into the present TCM, which was originally Turner Classic Movies, which eventually did make a Dublin cable appearance in the NTL era.

There may have been a point when the two (TNT and TCM) co-existed mind you (and TNT became a general entertainment channel) but I think that was fairly brief, in the early digital period, around 1999.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • interestednovice