BT rebranding consumer services to EE

Considering that EE has been the UK’s biggest network of the last decade or so, made up of the merger of T-Mobile and Orange, with Kevin Bacon as the face of the brand since its relaunch from Everything Everywhere, and coverage right across the UK, it’s easy to see why EE has more brand recognition than BT.

Yes, BT is iconic, however the brand has been diluted and pulled into different arenas such as TV and Sport. It’s not just broadband anymore… plus, it’s there way of sticking two fingers up at O2 Big Grin

I can imagine that BT is seen as more of a stuffy, old-fashioned brand than EE is - I presume that is much more of a factor than which one is most recognised.
[-] The following 5 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, AndrewP, DeMarkay, interestednovice, London Lite

Nothing new in legacy telecoms companies rebranding to something more 'sexier' than the old fashioned moniker. France Telecom rebranded as Orange in 2013.

If you're targeting a younger customer base more used to telecom brands like O2 and EE, then EE is a more attractive brand to those consumers than the older BT brand.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • DeMarkay

Yes, the rationale is twofold, really:

1) EE gets a much higher Net Promotor Score (NPS) which is marketing speak for brand resonance. So customers have a more favourable view of the EE brand. The CEO of BT Consumer is Marc Allera who is an ex-EE person too, so he probably grasps better than most that EE is better regarded by customers.

2) It’s a more modern brand, as you say, which is more closely associated with mobile and broadband-only (mobile broadband, etc) products. This works well for marketing things such as hybrid broadband which you can then sell to people as “not your grandad’s broadband”! This helps to sell the products as “premium”.
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • DeMarkay, Spencer, Stuart

I agree EE certainly looks and sounds more in, but I will hold out on my BT mobile contract as long as possible!
[-] The following 3 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, DeMarkay, interestednovice

Speaking personally, I've had a much better experience as an EE customer over the years than when I was a BT customer. It's always felt to me like BT didn't really care – their customer service was terrible, and it felt they were happy to rely on their legacy position as Britain's main telecoms provider without putting in the effort.

So I have a much more favourable view of EE than BT... even though I know they're the same company now, which probably ties in with interestednovice's first point.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • DeMarkay, interestednovice

I have negative connotations with EE but that was mainly based on terrible signal where I lived when I was with them. Plus, I still see BT as the strong communications brand that it was.

As for the update, I was surprised the other day when I turned on the STB and the teal light appeared rather than the purple, it still doesn’t feel right yet, but very clever how they’ve managed to do it. The whole design keeps a lot of the old layout but with a cleaner look, new typeface and symbols in settings.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fanoftv's post:
  • interestednovice

How much do EE TV actually offer nowadays - isn't it basically Freeview + NOW TV passes?

(10-12-2023, 04:54 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  How much do EE TV actually offer nowadays - isn't it basically Freeview + NOW TV passes?
Optionally Discovery, TNT and Netflix bundled in. Apple TV appears to be an option too.

Notably the TNT and Now derived channels appear as linear channels (outside the Now/TNT apps) and can be recorded as such. Other than that there's not really a USP over straightforward Freeview/YouView.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • Brekkie, interestednovice

I have started to receive gifs from BT showing an animation from the BT logo to the EE one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 237's post:
  • interestednovice