BT rebranding consumer services to EE

Speaking of towers, I know there's quite a few BT offices that have had signange removed recently, including the one in Swansea. A sign of things to come?

(04-07-2023, 12:24 PM)what Wrote:  Speaking of towers, I know there's quite a few BT offices that have had signange removed recently, including the one in Swansea. A sign of things to come?

I frequently pass the BT call centre in Warrington and there’s no change there yet, but FWIW it’s a relatively new centre and is quite up to date with its branding. You can often see inside when driving past and there’s not much sign of EE branding, yet.

I gather it'd be a bit hit and miss anyway, if it's a BT building with a mixed use (ie Openreach are also there) then they'd go for the "BT Group" rainbow logo instead.

I can't imagine it'd be a high priority to rebrand buildings, especially if the signage is in a hard to reach location, though I suppose the London tower is among the easiest now.

They didn't rush to remove EE signage from Bristol (the place that's next to the M5 - I think it was still there when I drove past) - I suppose there's no reason to now!

(04-07-2023, 10:56 AM)thomalex Wrote:  BT Tower to EE Tower rebranding when?
Wouldn't be it's first rename. BT was originally Post Office Telephones, so the tower was called Post Office Tower. Obviously it became BT Tower when the company split from the Post Office and became British Telecom.

(04-07-2023, 07:44 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Wouldn't be its first rename. BT was originally Post Office Telephones, so the tower was called Post Office Tower. Obviously it became BT Tower when the company split from the Post Office and became British Telecom.
The abbreviation BT wasn’t really used though until the rebrand with the piper logo in the early 90s. Through the 80s it had the full name of the British Telecom Tower, although often referred to as just the Telecom Tower.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • Stuart

What is in the tower these days? I know it's not the hub of the microwave network these days, but isn't it more Openreach kind of infrastructure?

The tower is the heart of BT Media and Broadcast video connections across the uk and internationally ….. so their gobal media network to pops in about 60 countries and media exchange platform 140 broadcasters here and 8k switches a month … and if course managing the BBC and itv WANs /video interconnect
www.mediaandbroadcast.bt.com 

So an amazing MCR to connect it all together and with the advent of Vena their virtualised platform , there is a data centre which among the other things codes and muxes D3&4
www.mediaandbroadcast.bt.com 

And lots of connectivity ..and you can connect via SRT over the internet to their main router !

And the tower itself is used for ad hoc microwave and a radio cameras service for central London ….. and a DAB transmitter,

And BT Corporate use the rotating restaurant as a hospitality space with lecture theatre at ground level ….
[-] The following 2 users Like Technologist's post:
  • Hellsloot, Steve in Pudsey

(05-07-2023, 07:40 PM)Technologist Wrote:  And the tower itself is used for ad hoc microwave and a radio cameras service for central London ….. and a DAB transmitter,

Incidentally just seeing the Tower being mentioned as a DAB transmitter got me going to a particular well known website. Here is the mb21 Transmitter Gallery page for BT Tower:

tx.mb21.co.uk 

Also is it me or does it look as though where the DAB aerials are. The height is not for the faint of heart?

The Tower floats on Clay - but does not wobble much
www.bt.com 
-it is did the microwaves would not go in the right direction !!
but the DAB aerials and not much different to rig than many other masts-
Just wait for a still day!
Having been in the Ad Hoc links floor 35 above the restaurant and under the LED screen
in 40 mph wind ( the highest allowed for H&S) its quite exciting!

BT Shop, nee dabs.com, has been rebranded as EE Store: store.ee.co.uk 

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • Ma76, Poloplex