BT rebranding consumer services to EE

Due time it was about to occur. I think BT are definitely trying to rid the name completely and I think BT for Business will eventually absorb into EE themselves a few years down the line.

Given that they've taken the BT name off certain brands and sponsorships (TNT Sports, the Scottish Gas Murrayfield stadium) I'd be interested to see if EE adopts a new branding style to go along with the change.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

EE has already adopted minor changes in branding, although it is quite similar to before - probably deliberately to maintain branding association.

The AMC from BT channel closes soon, so the last vestiges of BT as a “primary” brand are certainly on the way out.

It looks like BT will still be an option, for those that want it, but otherwise all marketing effort will be behind EE. Plusnet also remains as a no-frills, broadband-only (no phone) provider. BT will only be advertised in the context of a business provider, and I doubt Plusnet will be advertised at all.

The “BT means business” ads, along with some strategic dual-branding to warm BT customers up to the idea of EE, is setting the stage for a wider rollout. I imagine we will start seeing EE broadband ads a lot, along with the rumoured launch of EE TV and the EE Wifi launch, once they finally decide to push the rebranding focus up a notch.

They've already publicised their new wifi 6 router which carries the EE branding - newsroom.ee.co.uk 

Given that the old EE broadband was always the poor relation to BT in terms of speeds and features, it seems obvious that this is more positioning towards rebranding all consumer services to EE.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i.h's post:
  • interestednovice

Isn't that router just a repackaged BT one?
Doesn't the smart two do the same job?

The Plusnet routers (as BT owns Plusnet but runs it at arms length) are repackaged Home Hub's, in fact the Hub 2 is the Smart Hub (or maybe the Smart 2) in new colours and the older Hub One is a repackaged Home Hub 5.

Not that I use ISP routers as I've always used routers I bought myself - I've still got a TalkTalk one they sent me years ago that's never seen the light of day since I was sent it and Plusnet also sent me a Hub Two when I re-contracted even though I never asked for that. Its still in its box.

(28-09-2023, 05:59 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  EE has already adopted minor changes in branding, although it is quite similar to before - probably deliberately to maintain branding association.

The AMC from BT channel closes soon, so the last vestiges of BT as a “primary” brand are certainly on the way out.

It looks like BT will still be an option, for those that want it, but otherwise all marketing effort will be behind EE. Plusnet also remains as a no-frills, broadband-only (no phone) provider. BT will only be advertised in the context of a business provider, and I doubt Plusnet will be advertised at all.

The “BT means business” ads, along with some strategic dual-branding to warm BT customers up to the idea of EE, is setting the stage for a wider rollout. I imagine we will start seeing EE broadband ads a lot, along with the rumoured launch of EE TV and the EE Wifi launch, once they finally decide to push the rebranding focus up a notch.
I understand BT will become the business brand, with most consumer services rebranded to EE. 

telecoms.com  suggests BT remains for those using standalone services but with the PSTN closing and things moving to digital voice, it remains to see how viable that would be long term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • interestednovice

(28-09-2023, 09:18 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Isn't that router just a repackaged BT one?
Doesn't the smart two do the same job?

The Plusnet routers (as BT owns Plusnet but runs it at arms length) are repackaged Home Hub's, in fact the Hub 2 is the Smart Hub (or maybe the Smart 2) in new colours and the older Hub One is a repackaged Home Hub 5.

Not that I use ISP routers as I've always used routers I bought myself -  I've still got a TalkTalk one they sent me years ago that's never seen the light of day since I was sent it and Plusnet also sent me a Hub Two when I re-contracted even though I never asked for that.  Its still in its box.
Plusnet’s Hub 2 is a BT Smart Hub 2 repackaged, yes.

The new EE Hub, however, is the Smart Hub 3.1 which hasn’t appeared (yet) in a Plusnet or BT Consumer variant. A slightly adapted version is the new hub for BT Business though.

Apparently, it started development as the BT Smart Hub 3 before the branding changes were finalised but is now being released as a “3.1” version, after a slight delay, with those branding changes. The 3.0 original was never launched.

My understanding is the same, that BT will become a business-only (plus legacy customers) brand and everything aimed at the consumer will be EE shortly.

I'm trying to move to a new BT plan with the mobile, it looks like they are saying you have to go to EE if you want to change the plan. I think it was similar with Orange and EE.

That’s correct.

BT Mobile and Plusnet Mobile have now closed to new customers/contracts, unfortunately.

You will need to move to EE if you want to recontract - either with EE for mobile and BT for broadband/phone or EE for all of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Former Member 237

(15-10-2023, 04:00 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  That’s correct.

BT Mobile and Plusnet Mobile have now closed to new customers/contracts, unfortunately.

You will need to move to EE if you want to recontract - either with EE for mobile and BT for broadband/phone or EE for all of it.

Thank you that mades sense.

They should really add a message, at the moment it displays a message intended for staff stating to tell the customer to wait until their contract window opens, I had to go and ask them.  Big Grin

So you cannot order BT broadband for your home now?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 237's post:
  • James2001

(15-10-2023, 04:00 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  That’s correct.

Or go somewhere else entirely. Lyca, 1pMobile, Now Mobile and RWG are all good budget options if you need the EE network.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 3 users Like WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko, interestednovice, Nobby