BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

Apologies for the dreaded double post, but IMO the key lesson the BBC needs to learn from the ABC is how to run a domestic news channel, for the smell of an oily rag, but with good presentation values, formats and an engaging mix of live crosses and packaged reports. 

youtube.com 
[-] The following 9 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, BBI45, freeaxe, ginnyfan, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, UTVLifer

Their awesome music theme puts BBC's worn out beep remains to shame.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AJB39, TJTSW

Yes, love this and the previous iteration of the ABC News look. And in a way considering Aussie viewers in Sydney seem to hate news from Melbourne and vice versa ABC News is already having to cater for different audiences with one stream for most of the day.

I don't think it's impossible to run a combined UK / World service - it's existed for many years overnight and at the weekend, plus on strike days. It's just the editorial of this new channel seems to be failing all audiences rather than catering to them. The trick I think is to focus more on bulletins and reports rather than lives and continuing rolling news - it certainly should be possible to give viewers the top couple of UK headlines and top couple of global headlines within the first 15 minutes of the hour, and then balance out the rest of the hour.

Is an argument too that rather than being the opt out points that the flagship UK bulletins should get a window on the world news channel to offer viewers seeking out the BBC a dedicated half hour of news from a British perspective at points in the schedule. Perhaps then World and UK can operate a split schedule at different points within the schedule instead, effectively adding an hour or two of UK content to a channel currently thin on it.

Anyhow, we're in the wrong thread to discuss that again in too much detail. I'm guessing the BBC hasn't commented on this and usually with news these ideas stay on the backburner for a while - I think the rumours of ITV extending the Evening News had been around for a number of years before anything came to fruition.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(11-06-2023, 08:51 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't think it's impossible to run a combined UK / World service - it's existed for many years overnight and at the weekend, plus on strike days.    It's just the editorial of this new channel seems to be failing all audiences rather than catering to them.    The trick I think is to focus more on bulletins and reports rather than lives and continuing rolling news - it certainly should be possible to give viewers the top couple of UK headlines and top couple of global headlines within the first 15 minutes of the hour, and then balance out the rest of the hour. 

Is an argument too that rather than being the opt out points that the flagship UK bulletins should get a window on the world news channel to offer viewers seeking out the BBC a dedicated half hour of news from a British perspective at points in the schedule.  Perhaps then World and UK can operate a split schedule at different points within the schedule instead, effectively adding an hour or two of UK content to a channel currently thin on it.
Without deviating too much from this thread, I do agree with certain aspects of this - that the new channel should have a pacier focus on news (which would allow it deliver more World and UK stories) and that it would be good if there were some opportunities for some extra UK-only news content - but the other parts of this just feel like retreading things that have been extensively discussed or even debunked in the other thread.

Network bulletins on World is wholly unnecessary and would require either a butchering of network bulletins to cater for World's timings or losing two ad breaks a day (and £100ks per year). I'm also not sure why there is this continued implication that UK news is unfairly undercovered (timing-wise/proportionally, story-wise is a different issue) on the channel.

On the subject of Breakfast's impending studio move I wonder if they'll do it on a Monday or opt for midweek. As of recent years a lot of news/BBC changes seem to occur on Tuesdays, rather than at the start of a week.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, Superman1986

Is it still the case NWT will have it's own studio? I don't really see the justification for that given the reduced number of sports bulletins means their temporary space is fine rather than sharing with Breakfast instead of NWT.

Even if the One moves to Salford they should be able to have NWT immediately after in the same studio considering BBC London now manage it in Studio B.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Quantum+83, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(12-06-2023, 07:27 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is it still the case NWT will have it's own studio?  I don't really see the justification for that given the reduced number of sports bulletins means their temporary space is fine rather than sharing with Breakfast instead of NWT.

Even if the One moves to Salford they should be able to have NWT immediately after in the same studio considering BBC London now manage it in Studio B.
I’m sure NWT will have their own studio. Saying this because Sportsday is on at 6:30 same time as NWT and I thought the new studio is to be used for Sport and Breakfast when originally announced

(12-06-2023, 07:27 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Even if the One moves to Salford they should be able to have NWT immediately after in the same studio considering BBC London now manage it in Studio B.
I can't see the One moving to Salford unless they think people want 'dumbed down sofa news' as a national bulletin at lunchtime.

Their reputation as a domestic news broadcaster is already swirling around in the gutter. Turning on the taps to flush it fully into the sewer doesn't really help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP

(12-06-2023, 07:43 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I can't see the One moving to Salford unless they think people want 'dumbed down sofa news' as a national bulletin at lunchtime.

Their reputation as a domestic news broadcaster is already swirling around in the gutter. Turning on the taps to flush it fully into the sewer doesn't really help.
Yes, because I often think the quality of the 10 is driven by the desk Huw sits at… 

I think we need a bit of reality here. ‘Sofa news’ (I’m not really sure what you mean) doesn’t determine the news itself, it’s just presented in a different way. 

The 1 has always had a slightly different focus around consumer and lifestyle issues, although that’s become a bit more amalgamated with whatever the news channel was leading with during its time being produced by that team. 

The reality, of course, is that the BBC is looking to make cuts. Moving the 1 might not be the worst option; there is already a sustained news operation in Salford and there could be some synergies in terms of Breakfast features and possibly personnel. Personally, I quite like the idea of different bulls coming from different places.
[-] The following 4 users Like Matrix's post:
  • AndrewP, Nige, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(12-06-2023, 07:29 AM)harryb Wrote:  I’m sure NWT will have their own studio. Saying this because Sportsday is on at 6:30 same time as NWT and I thought the new studio is to be used for Sport and Breakfast when originally announced
I imagine that when NWT/Breakfast's current studio gets refitted NWT would most likely decamp to the space that sport have currently decamped to. If I recall it was NWT's secondary space, which has been expanded slightly. Presumably their current secondary space will be returned to its original purpose (an editing suite?). Assuming NWT's current studio would eventually get a regional set similar to other regions it would also potentially enable BBC Sport to use it on the odd occasion.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.