BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

All this talk of 'coffee table news'. Didn't stop ITV News doing it for their Lunchtime News at weekends (mainly due to ITV News London using the studio before the bulletin).

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

(12-06-2023, 08:56 AM)Worzel Wrote:  All this talk of 'coffee table news'. Didn't stop ITV News doing it for their Lunchtime News at weekends (mainly due to ITV News London using the studio before the bulletin).

youtu.be 

youtu.be 

It was actually during the week pre covid, this was due to the same presenter presenting the lunchtime news and then staying on for the London bulletin. 

I know the same arrangement has also been done for the Saturday Evening news due to the same presenter doing both bulletins, I don't know if this still happens though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes South's post:
  • UTVLifer

(12-06-2023, 10:27 AM)South Wrote:  It was actually during the week pre covid, this was due to the same presenter presenting the lunchtime news and then staying on for the London bulletin. 

I know the same arrangement has also been done for the Saturday Evening news due to the same presenter doing both bulletins, I don't know if this still happens though.
Not quite true. The lunchtime presenter has since this current look was introduced presented the London bulletin afterwards.

It was actually because of social distancing, it didn't look so ridiculous as the desk is obviously much larger. Presenters (generally) didn't like the 'coffee table' desk as it is harder to read the screen within it and so don't think any of them missed it.
[-] The following 3 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • AndrewP, Stuart, UTVLifer

When is this new set going live?
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • Superman1986

(12-06-2023, 07:43 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I can't see the One moving to Salford unless they think people want 'dumbed down sofa news' as a national bulletin at lunchtime.

Their reputation as a domestic news broadcaster is already swirling around in the gutter. Turning on the taps to flush it fully into the sewer doesn't really help.

I'm not sure the logic is quite there. I'm also not a fan of news being presented from a sofa rather than a desk, but the presumption that the BBC couldn't swap out the sofa for a desk between Breakfast and the One in order to facilitate such a move feels silly.
[-] The following 4 users Like JK08's post:
  • Happy2001, scottishtv, Transmission, UTVLifer

I’d be in favour of Newsnight moving into the Breakfast/One set in Salford too.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 2 users Like Moz's post:
  • Nige, Superman1986

At this point why don't they just move all of the BBC's national domestic bulletins to Salford?

I can't see why moving a single bulletin to Salford is going to benefit the BBC? Why? They've already moved programmes, units, departments and indeed entire channels outside of London.

I just can't see any fluidity with shifting the '1' to Salford and the 6 and 10 in London, it just makes no sense!

BBC News has had a uniformed format for decades, I just can't see it happening.

What would they do if a major story broke? Sit casually on a sofa or toss to London?

Also - in studio guests - which let's be frank the BBC seem less interested in. Newsnight relies on studio guests, it adds drama to the show. I can't see this sudden upheaval to Salford.

Why is there no transparency from the BBC about these changes?
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, Stuart

(12-06-2023, 11:40 AM)harshy Wrote:  When is this new set going live?
youtu.be 
[-] The following 11 users Like Worzel's post:
  • harshy, James, PWD, Reith85, RhysJR, Roger Darthwell, Superman1986, TVFan, W1ll, what, xlalonce

The way most shots at the desk are framed now it wouldn’t really matter if they were sat on a sofa. You just wouldn’t notice.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!