BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

(12-06-2023, 02:15 PM)Moz Wrote:  I’d be in favour of Newsnight moving into the Breakfast/One set in Salford too.

I think of all the bulletins Newsnight most needs to be in London as unlike the network bulletins they will have studio guests, noteably MPs.  Whilst having them down the line is less of an issue post-pandemic face to face studio grillings and debates can almost be their USP.
[-] The following 10 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, LDN, London Lite, LondonViewer, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(12-06-2023, 07:43 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I can't see the One moving to Salford unless they think people want 'dumbed down sofa news' as a national bulletin at lunchtime.

Their reputation as a domestic news broadcaster is already swirling around in the gutter. Turning on the taps to flush it fully into the sewer doesn't really help.

The fear is that they’ll change the format of the 1 and make it ‘Breakfast at Lunchtime’ rather than just relocating the current 1 format

Some here thought the same when the ITV Evening News was extended to an hour, it’d be padded out with ‘features’ but in reality it’s basically just the same as previously just longer

Time will tell of it is just a location change
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Quantum+83

I'm not sure that moving the One to Salford will mean the programme necessarily changes much.

Of the three bulletins it probably relies the least on in studio contributions.

There is almost always a down the live to Westminster. You would be able to have in studio contributions from the Sport and Work & Money teams.

If it does move it will be interesting to see if Weather moves some more roles to Salford so Breakfast and the One have in studio forecasts but this isn't a deal-breaker at all. No doubt at some point the forecaster could just be virtually inserted into the studio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • Quantum+83

(12-06-2023, 06:07 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I'm not sure that moving the One to Salford will mean the programme necessarily changes much.

Though, of course, during the 90s and early 00s, the One often featured multiple short external contributor interviews, including MPs and the such, usually DtL, but sometimes in studio (typically recorded). Other bulletins occasionally did interviews too (e.g., Thatcher on the Six? on the day of the 1993 relaunch), but it was the norm on the One for quite a while. I presume that the phasing out was to do with some combination of the growing popularity of News 24 and the reforms to politics programming around 2003 giving MPs an earlier network outlet.

To be honest, my expectation since it was announced has been that an extended One would somewhat resemble (at least in part) an old News channel hour, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a return to external contributors in some form.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • Quantum+83, xlalonce

(12-06-2023, 06:07 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I'm not sure that moving the One to Salford will mean the programme necessarily changes much.

There is almost always a down the live to Westminster. You would be able to have in studio contributions from the Sport and Work & Money teams.

If it does move it will be interesting to see if Weather moves some more roles to Salford so Breakfast and the One have in studio forecasts but this isn't a deal-breaker at all. No doubt at some point the forecaster could just be virtually inserted into the studio.

The breakfast (and One) weather will move to Salford when Carol decides to call it a day, the presenter not wanting to move but being too popular to axe

It’s a similar set up to Paul Hudson doing Look North Hull weather down the line even though it results in Hull being the only region to not  have their own weather presenter in the studio

(12-06-2023, 11:17 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The breakfast (and One) weather will move to Salford when Carol decides to call it a day, the presenter not wanting to move but being too popular to axe

It’s a similar set up to Paul Hudson doing Look North Hull weather down the line even though it results in Hull being the only region to not  have their own weather presenter in the studio
I’d always assumed having Paul Hudson doing the weather down the line from Leeds was more to do with cost saving. I’m not a regular Look Levy viewer — do they have someone doing the forecast in the studio in Hull when he’s away?

No they just have whoever is doing the forecast in Leeds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • Spencer

(12-06-2023, 11:17 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The breakfast (and One) weather will move to Salford when Carol decides to call it a day, the presenter not wanting to move but being too popular to axe

Channel Islands news takes their weather down the line from Plymouth, no presenter in the studio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HTVbest's post:
  • bilky asko

(13-06-2023, 07:44 AM)HTVbest Wrote:  Channel Islands news takes their weather down the line from Plymouth, no presenter in the studio.
Plymouth is a 'regional hub' for weather forecasts, perhaps because of their HD capabilities from 2015, and provides the service for a few regions.

I am sure Southampton and Bristol can also take DTL feeds and/or show recorded ones at times from Plymouth, certainly at weekends. There is a specific seperate CSO cupboard at Seymour Road to provide this function.

(13-06-2023, 07:44 AM)HTVbest Wrote:  Channel Islands news takes their weather down the line from Plymouth, no presenter in the studio.
Cambridge also used to take their weather down the line, until their opt-out was closed.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • bilky asko, Superman1986