BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

So say the move went ahead. Would the BBC Regional Lunchtime News be shorter like the ITV Regional News lunch bulletin?

(02-06-2023, 11:03 AM)gottago Wrote:  Moving the One to Salford is a smart move as it presumably will use the same camera, lighting, sound etc operators from either Breakfast or Morning Live who've been paid for a full day's work but have little to do once the show's over.

It would be reusing the Breakfast crews as Morning Live's studio is located in the ABC Buildings on Quay Street
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • Superman1986

(02-06-2023, 11:18 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  It would be reusing the Breakfast crews as Morning Live's studio is located in the ABC Buildings on Quay Street

I see, thanks.

Cue an announcement of another live show coming from Quay St using the same crew in the future then!
[-] The following 2 users Like gottago's post:
  • Superman1986, UTVLifer

If they move BBC One 'clock news to Salford, does that mean they could also have studio, staff and newsreaders available to opt out of the news channel for any breaking UK only story? On top of that if this works they could see addition uk only bulletin on the news channel maybe at 4pm using the same staff?
[-] The following 2 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

I would imagine it would probably be something like this:
0600 Breakfast
0930 Morning Live
1030 Factual
1115 Homes Under the Hammer
1215 Bargain Hunt
1300 News at One
1345 Regional News
1400 Doctors
1430 Factual
1500 onwards same as normal
[-] The following 5 users Like XIII's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Superman1986

(02-06-2023, 11:26 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  If they move BBC One 'clock news to Salford, does that mean they could also have studio,  staff and newsreaders available to opt out of the news channel for any breaking UK only story?  On top of that if this works they could see addition uk only bulletin on the news channel maybe at 4pm using the same staff?
To some extent, it would theoretically allow for additional UK content, but only really in the same way that they could do from Studio B at present - the only real difference being the ability to do a separate Five. But, even assuming that Breakfast and the One could share a production team, that team is unlikely to be able to stretch into the late afternoon. Obviously, there is the production team for Sportsday, but that's a smaller team. In short, it's feasible, but I wouldn't particularly bet on it.

(02-06-2023, 11:32 AM)XIII Wrote:  I would imagine it would probably be something like this:
That's quite plausible and similar to what I imagined, though ultimately probably better to take out one of the afternoon slots as well - I expect we're more likely to see at least one slot extended than one reduced in length.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

The Salford Move for the One would presumably require either more presenters travelling up and down (Which is controversial) or some reshuffling of the rota’s to mainly use Salford based presenters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Plutobug

Depends how extended they are talking about, if Breakfast went until 10am, and Morning Live was extended until 11:15 they could end up being able to axe everything that they commission for mornings besides HUTH and BH. Good for the BBC’s budgets but not great for the variety of programmes they show

With an extended One I wonder if they will sneak in repeats of lighter breakfast features to fill the time slot - the live OBs from factories in hair nets etc

I would not be surprised if there wasn’t a hidden cut somewhere else, something like extending the One and then reducing the regional news to 5 minutes. I am reminded of how many times the Ten and the regional Ten have been extended and reduced back and forth over the last decade or so

And I don’t want it to go in rota chat but this would also have implications for the second level of network presenters who do the One. There would need to be extra Salford presenters recruited, and much less work for Network London presenters meaning presumably some roles being closed
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Plutobug, Superman1986, UTVLifer

It makes complete sense - you have a national BBC One news bulletin presented outside of London and you use a studio that has been invested heavily in. The lunchtime regional news is already only 9m30s in a 15 minute slot.

Without heading too much into the realms of speculation about something with just one source, I wonder if the 1 would end up being presented by an extended Breakfast 'family' of presenters. No reason the likes of John / Naga / Roger couldn't anchor the 1.

Be surprised if they weren't seeing what happened with ITV's morning schedules before making any decisions - if anything happened to the current 10am programme on ITV, you could see Breakfast running a Saturday-style 6-10 weekdays with 10-11 being Morning Live.

I believe this is what many regions on BBC and ITV have now been doing for a number of years. Utilising the breakfast presenter at lunch time. Then the evening presenter going onto doing the evening.
[-] The following 1 user Likes watchingtv's post:
  • Rijowhi