BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

This is a budget question, not a rota question.

Do we really think the BBC are preparing to allocate a sizeable year round budget for (PEAK TIME) travel and when required, accommodation to and from Salford for existing presenters who've only recently transitioned full time to the Network team. It was only two months ago there was confusion about their futures in London when the merger happened, including Hill, Chakrabarti and Brown. The Network team is already on the heavy side as it is with some presenters only getting one or two slots a week.

From watching various YouTube clips of how the One, Six and Ten are produced, I seem to remember the presenter usually arrives to for the first meeting, some 6 hours ahead of going to air.

I just can't this coming to fruition, if indeed this one source is on point.
[-] The following 9 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, Studio7, UTVLifer

(02-06-2023, 11:51 AM)Andrew Wrote:  Depends how extended they are talking about, if Breakfast went until 10am, and Morning Live was extended until 11:15 they could end up being able to axe everything that they commission for mornings besides HUTH and BH. Good for the BBC’s budgets but not great for the variety of programmes they show

With an extended One I wonder if they will sneak in repeats of lighter breakfast features to fill the time slot - the live OBs from factories in hair nets etc

I would not be surprised if there wasn’t a hidden cut somewhere else, something like extending the One and then reducing the regional news to 5 minutes. I am reminded of how many times the Ten and the regional Ten have been extended and reduced back and forth over the last decade or so

And I don’t want it to go in rota chat but this would also have implications for the second level of network presenters who do the One. There would need to be extra Salford presenters recruited, and much less work for Network London presenters meaning presumably some roles being closed
Agree with your theory on them going through to 11.15 - and the afternoon is easy enough to adjust thanks to Escape to the Country and others coming in 30, 45 and 60 minute cuts.

Not sure though if Breakfast could sustain an extra hour or so - and a big ask of the crew to probably be in at 5am and leave after 2pm.    Obviously though if NWT is coming from the set after they'd be a crew in anyway, though thought they were having their own space and Breakfast sharing with BBC Sport.   Wouldn't be surprised though if sport news ends up staying where it is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

The ITV Lunchtime News is only 25 minutes IIRC with regional at 1355 so The BBC probably would be able to adopt a similar approach and still keep Doctors at 1345.
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • Rijowhi, Superman1986

(02-06-2023, 12:10 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  I believe this is what many regions on BBC and ITV have now been doing for a number of years. Utilising the breakfast presenter at lunch time. Then the evening presenter going onto doing the evening.
It's not just the regions. A lot of (national) channels in other countries have their breakfast newsreaders stay on to do the lunchtime bulletin.
[-] The following 3 users Like Studio7's post:
  • bkman1990, Rijowhi, Superman1986

(02-06-2023, 12:23 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  It's not just the regions. A lot of (national) channels in other countries have their breakfast newsreaders stay on to do the lunchtime bulletin.

I've seen it on local US stations as well that at least one of the morning show anchors stays behind to present lunch. (Sometimes it's even the traffic reporter).
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(02-06-2023, 12:18 PM)XIII Wrote:  The ITV Lunchtime News is only 25 minutes IIRC with regional at 1355 so The BBC probably would be able to adopt a similar approach and still keep Doctors at 1345.

Well they already have to a certain extend with the One not wrapping up until around 1.32 or so.   Surely any "extension" will be more than 5 minutes - at the very least filling the hour with the regional news, or perhaps even with the regional news following at 2pm.

If Breakfast did end up running to 10am presumably the 9am simulcast of BBC News on BBC2 would probably go, regardless of what happens with Nicky Campbell on 5 Live.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Superman1986

(02-06-2023, 12:29 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I've seen it on local US stations as well that at least one of the morning show anchors stays behind to present lunch. (Sometimes it's even the traffic reporter).

Back in the 90s Angus Simpson used to do GMTV bulletins then do 30min lunchtime edition of Scotland today at 1pm. Nothing new in the UK.

(02-06-2023, 12:15 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  This is a budget question, not a rota question.

Do we really think the BBC are preparing to allocate a sizeable year round budget for (PEAK TIME) travel and when required, accommodation to and from Salford for existing presenters who've only recently transitioned full time to the Network team. It was only two months ago there was confusion about their futures in London when the merger happened, including Hill, Chakrabarti and Brown. The Network team is already on the heavy side as it is with some presenters only getting one or two slots a week.
From a budgetary perspective, it wouldn't actually be that significant an amount, especially considering it would largely replace some of the travel arrangements that already exist for network presenters. But, if it does happen, I'd imagine that they'd only really need one 'regular' presenter, who they'd presumably offer relocation for, with gaps filled as necessary.

And, while the network team is perhaps a bit heavy at the minute, I expect this is partly deliberately transitional - with three of them already in their sixties, some will likely be retiring out in the foreseeable future - having an oversized roster at the minute helps smooth over the inevitable changes.

(02-06-2023, 09:30 AM)DTV Wrote:  Indeed, if they ever went down the merging the Ten and Newsnight route, having three 'newshours' with different focuses would be quite a smart way of doing things - something like, 'the latest on stories across the UK' at One, 'the stories that matter to you' at Six and 'reporting and analysis on the main UK and world news' at Ten.

I strongly suspect Newsnight will be next in the firing line, sadly. When Kirsty Wark eventually steps down, I can see that giving the BBC a very good excuse to 'review' Newsnight, and we all know what that means! If this were to happen, I think an extended Ten isn't an entirely bad idea. You could also put a parliamentary review at the end, to run on the News Channel in place of the regional news.

(02-06-2023, 04:04 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  I strongly suspect Newsnight will be next in the firing line, sadly. When Kirsty Wark eventually steps down, I can see that giving the BBC a very good excuse to 'review' Newsnight, and we all know what that means! If this were to happen, I think an extended Ten isn't an entirely bad idea. You could also put a parliamentary review at the end, to run on the News Channel in place of the regional news.

I’d be very surprised if programming decisions were based on one of several presenters deciding to leave. I’m not sure I understand your ‘review’ point either. What precedent do we have of something being ‘reviewed’, and what does that mean? 

How much demand for a parliamentary review do you think there is?
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie