BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

(02-06-2023, 04:17 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’d be very surprised if programming decisions were based on one of several presenters deciding to leave. I’m not sure I understand your ‘review’ point either. What precedent do we have of something being ‘reviewed’, and what does that mean? 

How much demand for a parliamentary review do you think there is?
My point is, Phil, that Kirsty Wark has been presenting Newsnight for 30 years. When she does leave, someone at the BBC might think 'hey, instead of just replacing her, why don't we take a broader look at Newsnight and see if it's worth keeping? It is expensive, after all'. In normal times this obviously wouldn't happen - Newsnight has continued long after the departures of Paxman, Maitlis, et al - but these are very much not normal times for the BBC. 

On the second point, you're just being difficult on purpose. Let me spell it out for you: a parliamentary review, right, is a review of what has happened in Parliament that day. Hence the phrase 'parliamentary review'. ¿Comprende? 

And there is obviously some demand for a parliamentary review, given that such a thing goes out on Radio 4 every night:

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Studio7's post:
  • Quantum+83

(02-06-2023, 04:30 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  On the second point, you're just being difficult on purpose. Let me spell it out for you: a parliamentary review, right, is a review of what has happened in Parliament that day. Hence the phrase 'parliamentary review'. ¿Comprende? 

And there is obviously some demand for a parliamentary review, given that such a thing goes out on Radio 4 every night:

www.bbc.co.uk 

I’m not being difficult, I just completely disagree with you about the demand for it. I also think you’ve misunderstood my review question which was referring to a review of Newsnight.

(02-06-2023, 04:34 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’m not being difficult, I just completely disagree with you about the demand for it. I also think you’ve misunderstood my review question which was referring to a review of Newsnight.
Well whatever. I'm not for one minute suggesting such a thing gets a prime slot on BBC One every night. All I was saying was that it might be a good way to fill a slot on the news channel. (Actually if they just simulcast what already goes out on Radio 4 at 11.30 and moved HardTalk to 10.30, that would be an ideal solution to the current mess at that time of night.)

An hour long News at One would be good, but extending Breakfast to half 9 isn't what if do. If anything, I'd bring back Business Breakfast in the 6-7 am slot, and move Breakfast from 7am to 10am, then going to Morning Live, which I feel would benefit becoming a 2 hour show, with Watchdog and Crimewatch as segments.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • TJTSW

(02-06-2023, 04:30 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  My point is, Phil, that Kirsty Wark has been presenting Newsnight for 30 years. When she does leave, someone at the BBC might think 'hey, instead of just replacing her, why don't we take a broader look at Newsnight and see if it's worth keeping? It is expensive, after all'. In normal times this obviously wouldn't happen - Newsnight has continued long after the departures of Paxman, Maitlis, et al - but these are very much not normal times for the BBC. 
Disagree for the reasons you state - indeed despite her ever presence Kirsty Wark is a fairly low key main presenter.

If Breakfast is being extended to 9:30 / 10am, I expect to see a lot more repeated pre-recorded "filler" such as Click, The Travel Show and Newswatch airing in the first 6 - 8am hours, as they currently do during the four hour Saturday editions. Personally, I would not be a fan of going down this route.
[-] The following 2 users Like Reith85's post:
  • bkman1990, TJTSW

(02-06-2023, 05:17 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  An hour long News at One would be good, but extending Breakfast to half 9 isn't what if do. If anything, I'd bring back Business Breakfast in the 6-7 am slot, and move Breakfast from 7am to 10am, then going to Morning Live, which I feel would benefit becoming a 2 hour show, with Watchdog and Crimewatch as segments.
I think people are jumping the gun a bit here. 
A) We don't know if this is even going to happen yet
B) We don't know when Breakfast is going to be extended to (if it is, I expect it will indeed be to 10am) 
C) There's no call for Business Breakfast these days, not when that audience can access that info much more readily online.
[-] The following 4 users Like Studio7's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, cando, Roger Darthwell

I do think Newsnight will likely end up in the firing line by the time Kirsty Wark eventually steps down, as besides Victoria Derbyshire, there aren't any other presenters who aren't shared with other areas (Faisal Islam, Christian Fraser) and the dedicated NN reporting team has been slimmed down in recent years
[-] The following 4 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • Newsroom, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Superman1986

(02-06-2023, 05:26 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Disagree for the reasons you state - indeed despite her ever presence Kirsty Wark is a fairly low key main presenter.

I'd argue she was deemed quite senior a presenter at BBC News. The insights that followed the BBC's coverage of the passing of our late Queen demonstrated that Kirsty Wark was always among the senior team of presenters to cover the biggest event in modern day history.
[-] The following 5 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bai4943, bkman1990, Kojak, Quantum+83, Studio7

(02-06-2023, 05:31 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  I do think Newsnight will likely end up in the firing line by the time Kirsty Wark eventually steps down, as besides Victoria Derbyshire, there aren't any other presenters who aren't shared with other areas (Faisal Islam, Christian Fraser) and the dedicated NN reporting team has been slimmed down in recent years
I expect it has had a bit of a stay of execution due to the recent cuts elsewhere to UK news output and having already suffered substantial cuts itself over the last decade anyway, but I would not at all be surprised if it was axed (likely with its functions 'transferred' elsewhere) within the next decade. After a few lucky escapes in previous rounds of cuts, it does feel like the obvious next step in a future round - not helped by the fact it seems to struggle as a 'newsmaker' these days (which is, of course, ultimately the prior cuts' fault). Though, to be honest, if the choice is between it being axed or gutted and turned into another Politics Live-style crapfest, I'll take the former.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Studio7, UTVLifer