BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

(04-06-2023, 09:01 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  ISTR that Rip Off Britain did have a brief primetime slot

I think they sometimes do a thirty minute re-edit for use in the evening peak.

Whilst I agree and see the benefit of moving a news bulletin outside of London I do worry that London is just being replaced by Manchester/Salford and that feels like it ignores the rest of the UK. 

I think I would feel more comfortable with perhaps the One moving to Glasgow or Cardiff. I only discount Belfast because there is probably an issue with where to base the programme. 

I do wonder whether it needs to be one of the core weekday bulletins along with the weekend ones to create a presenting team that won't involve sending presenters upto Salford each week to fill gaps. It might end up leading to more consistency for Breakfast on a Sunday. 

Regardless of all of this I feel sorry for the staff involved some of who have just had to deal with the news channel changes and now have this hanging over them.
[-] The following 8 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chris, GMc, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Spencer

Local news during Breakfast could be fluffed out more, with packages used from the late bulletin, given that not much changes overnight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeview87's post:
  • Rijowhi

(04-06-2023, 12:34 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I think I would feel more comfortable with perhaps the One moving to Glasgow or Cardiff. I only discount Belfast because there is probably an issue with where to base the programme. 
I had always thought the relaunched News Channel would be better off making use of the various studios and teams across the UK. The NC could come from a different nation each day giving more representation to the various parts of the UK rather than just London/Salford. 

At present, Belfast would probably be the best nation to theoretically base The One in. It's the only BBC News studio apart from B to feature the up-to-date desk design and from what we know the new Reporting Scotland set will have a standing desk which I'm not sure would work well for the News at One. There's a small CSO cupboard in Belfast where the lunchtime Newsline bulletin could come from as they already do on Thursday nights when Studio 1 is occupied by The View.
[-] The following 3 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AndrewP, Quantum+83, Superman1986

(04-06-2023, 03:01 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  I had always thought the relaunched News Channel would be better off making use of the various studios and teams across the UK. The NC could come from a different nation each day giving more representation to the various parts of the UK rather than just London/Salford.
I assume you mean for about an hour each day, which is similar to something I think I suggested a few months ago. Have an hour in the evenings (e.g., 20:00) produced by one of the regional teams on rotation*, styled as BBC News from Glasgow, Hull, etc., and combining a mixture of national UK headlines, big regional stories and a focus on that region - the latter could serve as a replacement for Inside Out/We Are England for the English regions, with a review of devolved politics for the nations. Good way of getting extra UK news on the channel, extra national programming from outside London, obvious PSB value, utilises existing teams - might take a bit of working out, but I think it's a solid idea.

* I originally envisaged that you'd have one day a week from Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast, with the English regions rotating on a six weekly basis (with one day a week from a 'northern' region (NE, NW, Y, EYL, EM, M), the other from a 'southern' region (E, SE, L, S, W, SW)). Obviously, there's a bit of disruption to existing workflows, but once in six weeks for the English regions is surely manageable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Independent

I’m not sure I understand the benefits / point of moving a programme around different locations. It’s a silly idea that will add absolutely nothing.
[-] The following 12 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chaose, Jayesyn, JJJJ, Nige, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, UTVLifer

(04-06-2023, 04:08 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’m not sure I understand the benefits / point of moving a programme around different locations. It’s a silly idea that will add absolutely nothing.
Well I disagree it would add nothing. But having it in different locations would surely cause less disruption to existing work patterns - having to prep part of one programme every six weeks is less strenuous than having it as a weekly or daily affair; it would allow you to focus on different parts of the country, which were undercovered on the old channel and even moreso on the new channel; and it's hardly a difficult task in this day-and-age to co-ordinate between regions and nobody would be physically moving between them.

(04-06-2023, 04:08 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I’m not sure I understand the benefits / point of moving a programme around different locations. It’s a silly idea that will add absolutely nothing.
Exactly.  Practically if you're getting the regions to contribute they need regular shifts.   Indeed in terms of the News Channel alone, forgetting any requirements of BBC1, Salford producing say a 10-12 slot would be more beneficial than extending the two BBC1 slot.

I've always found some countries obsession with news a bit odd and how many hours it takes up but usually once you have a newsgathering operation in place getting extra hours out of it is a cost-effective way of filling hours and appear to be prioritising PSB too.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell

Put simply the regions have neither the  infrastructure or staffing to cope with doing the one.

The nations could do it but it’d cost.
Salford have the infrastructure and staff to do the One at essentially no cost. 

Breakfast may extend until 10.
9.45 is neater as Morning Live could run until 10.30

I feel we may see a 1-2 news hour with a regional opt, and a sports news segment.
The lunch regional may see a time reduction. Within that hour. Its the least watched of the regional output. 

Its an interesting and bold move. I hope it happens

So will we be seeing Jane / Reeta / Ben / Clive being sent up to Salford to present the One, and how does the cost of paying for transport & hotels 5 days a week save any money?

Or will the One get a new presenting team based in Salford?
[-] The following 5 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Nige, Quantum+83, Superman1986

(04-06-2023, 07:10 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  So will we be seeing Jane / Reeta / Ben / Clive being sent up to Salford to present the One, and how does the cost of paying for transport & hotels 5 days a week save any money?

Or will the One get a new presenting team based in Salford?

I could see whichever one of the Breakfast presenters of the day simply staying on to do it - Jon Kay, Sally Nugent, Charlie Stayt, Naga Munchetty, Roger Johnson etc etc.
[-] The following 4 users Like Reith85's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Superman1986, UTVLifer