BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

(04-06-2023, 07:21 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  I could see whichever one of the Breakfast presenters of the day simply staying on to do it - Jon Kay, Sally Nugent, Charlie Stayt, Naga Munchetty, Roger Johnson etc etc.

This would make an incredibly long day and reduce flexibility within Breakfast. The presenter could end up doing five hours on air. They'd presumably not be available for the daily programme meeting and have less time to input into the script. 

Even if each presenter only does one day a week the One and extended Breakfast is certainly adding to their hours or taking them away from other activities e.g. pre recorded interviews. 

I'd have thought the One would need its own presenting team which will undoubtedly mean on occasions some travel cost.
[-] The following 1 user Likes m_in_m's post:
  • Nige

(04-06-2023, 08:14 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  This would make an incredibly long day and reduce flexibility within Breakfast. The presenter could end up doing five hours on air. They'd presumably not be available for the daily programme meeting and have less time to input into the script. 

Even if each presenter only does one day a week the One and extended Breakfast is certainly adding to their hours or taking them away from other activities e.g. pre recorded interviews. 

I'd have thought the One would need its own presenting team which will undoubtedly mean on occasions some travel cost.

Ben Thompson could be a possibility. He's no stranger to Salford, but now only occasionally presents Breakfast as a fill-in - he's more likely to be seen presenting down in NBH these days, of course.

Quote:This would make an incredibly long day and reduce flexibility within Breakfast. The presenter could end up doing five hours on air. They'd presumably not be available for the daily programme meeting and have less time to input into the script. 

i think you might be overestimating how much input the presenters actually have.

Quote:Even if each presenter only does one day a week the One and extended Breakfast is certainly adding to their hours or taking them away from other activities e.g. pre recorded interviews. 

it is very very rare breakfast do pre recorded interviews (in studio)  
Any junkets or pre planned shoots are exactly that.. pre planned and tbe rota  is already worked around that.

Why can’t someone new (and local) become the main pres? Why does it have to be an existing face?

Slightly off topic (and its probably been asked before) but if something happened that knocked NBH offline then would or could Salford take over the network feed?

Quote:Slightly off topic (and its probably been asked before) but if something happened that knocked NBH offline then would or could Salford take over the network feed?

Yes

(04-06-2023, 09:47 PM)AM160 Wrote:  Yes

Short, simple and to the point. That's the way I like it
[-] The following 2 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • NickyBoy, watchingtv

(04-06-2023, 08:32 PM)AM160 Wrote:  Why can’t someone new (and local) become the main pres? Why does it have to be an existing face?
You can almost hear the tannoy message: "Urgent call for Mr Johnson, Mr Roger Johnson. Another gig available!" Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • lepeterrr

Roger Johnson or Annabel Tiffin could do it in addition to North West Tonight. In years gone by it was sometimes the case the presenter of the One would stay on to do the Six.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • watchingtv

I got why they moved breakfast and sport along with children’s up to Salford, but part of me wonders what the benefit of moving the One to Salford would be.

When breakfast moved all the London presenters moved too. When any new presenters have joined it’s not as it theyve been from the north or had a regional accent. Apart from the titles and background on the screen there’s nothing to make you know it’s from Salford.

Moving the one feels a bit like a box ticking exercise so they can say “one of our national bulletins are from outside of London”. However if they send someone from London up to present it it seems pointless. As mentioned what about the other regions. I appreciate that they may not be set up to manage it but I can’t remember the last time I’ve even seen Norfolk on the national news let alone play host.

I also think what was the point of the massive move to new broadcasting house. Maybe I’m missing something but in my head I accept that it’s where the news comes from unless there is a major story which warrants it coming from somewhere else but even then I don’t always see the need.

If they want to have the regions represented have something like the one show coming once a week from a different region and running with stories from the area.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 8 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, Reith85, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell

(04-06-2023, 06:45 PM)AM160 Wrote:  I feel we may see a 1-2 news hour with a regional opt, and a sports news segment.
The lunch regional may see a time reduction. Within that hour. Its the least watched of the regional output. 
I think politically any reduction in the regional opt may be problematic in the nations. I seem to recall a few years ago (for Covid?) when the Ten's regional news was extended for the One whilst the English regions had their bulletins shortened the nations opted out of the national news early to retain their programme's length.

At risk of fantasy rota territory I wonder if they might consider keeping the regional news at 1.30pm with global news being covered on the news channel during the opt-out. Then at 1.45pm a sport bulletin could be shown on both BBC One and the News channel. This would potentially then allow the nations to have have a half hour bulletin by not opting back at 1.45pm. Therefore, something along the lines of...
- 1pm National News (BBC One/News)
- 1.30pm Nations/regional news (BBC One), Global News (BBC News)
- 1.45pm Sports bulletin (BBC One England, BBC News), Nations news (Scotland/Wales/NI)

Whilst this would presumably incur some additional costs I can imagine that politically it might have its benefits in the nations. A similar sort of thing could also be considered Mon-Thurs for the Ten. (Especially if they ever needed to axe BBC Scotland channel in future to save costs.)

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer