BBC Local strike action

(07-06-2023, 05:55 PM)thegeek Wrote:  as per this gov.uk page about industrial action, "Non-union members who take part in legal, official industrial action have the same rights as union members not to be dismissed as a result of taking action."

Sorry yes, I was more meaning members in other unions - as in the teaching example, who do not have the same rights, but then I’m not sure if there are any NUJ alternatives.

Equity and BECTU I guess would be the main ones

London and South East headlines at Ten, although I’m not sure we will all get the actual bulletin at 10:30

(07-06-2023, 09:01 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Equity and BECTU I guess would be the main ones
They're not alternatives to the NUJ, they are unions for other areas of the entertainment industry. You don't get journalists in BECTU and technical operators etc can't join the NUJ 

I don't think there's any other unions for journalists. Membership of the NUJ is fairly good within newsrooms, one big thing it gives it's members is the NUJ Press Card. They also help out with legal and ethical issues regarding reporting.

It's a very strong union

A joint London & South East bulletin in London with a welcome to viewers across the country.  Huw remained at his desk for the close of the bulletin with only a mention of Newsnight on BBC2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omnipresent's post:
  • oscillon

The London / South East bulletin is being shown in the EY&L region.

Surely Network have a 10 minute filler somewhere? Putting London out to the majority of England seems a bit pointless.

Oh for the days when BBC One filled the odd extra time with a Tom & Jerry double bill!
[-] The following 1 user Likes RDJ's post:
  • UTVLifer

Look North Leeds seemed rather stilted tonight.

Loads of people on Twitter all day wondering where the various bulletins were, especially those bulletins that existed but were different.

For example you could have tuned in at 10, ended up with BBC London and been totally confused as to why, as there as no on air mention of strike action at all. Same as those in EY&L you got a different Look North at teatime for no explained reason

You think they could have mentioned it on air, maybe a quick news on brief report - the BBC usually don’t shy away from giving themselves a kicking

CI went out as normal tonight.