BBC Local strike action

(07-06-2023, 10:24 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  They're not alternatives to the NUJ, they are unions for other areas of the entertainment industry. You don't get journalists in BECTU and technical operators etc can't join the NUJ 

I don't think there's any other unions for journalists. Membership of the NUJ is fairly good within newsrooms, one big thing it gives it's members is the NUJ Press Card. They also help out with legal and ethical  issues regarding reporting.

It's a very strong union

The question was about members of other unions refusing to cross an NUJ picket line - if the Director is in BECTU can they refuse?

Quote:The question was about members of other unions refusing to cross an NUJ picket line - if the Director is in BECTU can they refuse?

They can.

(08-06-2023, 06:48 AM)AM160 Wrote:  They can.

maybe there's some nuance I'm missing, but how does it differ to other multi-union workplaces where they don't do that? Isn't a "director" a different job role? Unless BECTU are also in dispute & have given notice that they would be striking on the same day, I'm not sure they can (legally).

I know of one company where Prospect/BECTU had to make clear that it was not involved and so its members should continue to work as normal, the other union's picket line is not aimed at them, but should refuse to cover for those who are on strike & the union would help back them up on that.

Is it continuing today as well, at least look north Leeds managed to put out something.

Quote:I know of one company where Prospect/BECTU had to make clear that it was not involved and so its members should continue to work as normal, the other union's picket line is not aimed at them, but should refuse to cover for those who are on strike & the union would help back them up on that.

correct, however an individual may choose not to cross a picket line even if they are not affiliated with the striking union. 

It is technically secondary action and is illegal as the individuals union has no mandate for strike action however within the context of strike action at the BBC I've never heard heard of anyone having sanctions placed against them (other than loosing a days pay like all the others on strike) if they choose not to cross the picket line.

Apparently the BBC broke their own rules last night

The 10:30 London bulletin that was aired across the country was pre-recorded THREE hours earlier
[-] The following 7 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, London Lite, Newsroom, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

What exactly are the rules on pre-recorded news? I know it used to be a complete no-no, but ITV regions do it daily now.

Is it still a no-no unless prior permission from Ofcom? Or is it against the BBC's own guidelines?

Clive announced just now on the News at 1 that they would be joining newsrooms across the country. Yet, in EY&L, the news ended abruptly followed by a continuity announcement stating that due to the industrial action they were unable to bring the local news, with a showing of Blue Planet in its place. Is Clive not aware of the strike action today? Surely it would have been better not to set up the expectation of a local bulletin if there was a chance of it not happening?

Leeds haven't managed a lunchtime bulletin today

(08-06-2023, 01:38 PM)Dadeki Wrote:  Clive has just announced on the News at 1 that they would be joining newsrooms across the country. Yet, in EY&L, the news ended abruptly followed by a continuity announcement stating that due to the industrial action they were unable to bring the local news, with a showing of Blue Planet in its place. Is Clive not aware of the strike action today?
There's a mixture of some regions having a lunchtime bulletin, and others not.

In such circumstances, it's debatable whether the network news should just end with a close that makes no reference to anything being on next or whether the throw to the regions should still be made (for the benefit of those that do still have a bulletin).

Maybe it's dependant on whether the majority of regions are still doing a bulletin, or down to the network presenter's preference.

Or maybe Clive just said the usual throw-to-the-regions stuff through force of habit, as he is only human and we are all prone to forgetting ourselves at the last moment (even after repeatedly thinking "do/don't say the thing").