Coverage of "major incident" in Nottingham city centre

The BBC isn't fit for purpose now. It should be completely defunded and run as a commercial archive repeats channel on Freeview. It does nothing well any more: breaking news, sport, drama, entertainment, the few live events it still has rights to - it's pretty clear that the consensus on here is that it is little more than a third-rate broadcaster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reith85's post:
  • Northlad

(13-06-2023, 07:16 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  The BBC isn't fit for purpose now. It should be completely defunded and run as a commercial archive repeats channel on Freeview. It does nothing well any more: news, sport, drama, entertainment - it's pretty clear that the consensus on here is that it is little more than a third-rate broadcaster.

In your opinion.

(13-06-2023, 07:16 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  The BBC isn't fit for purpose now. It should be completely defunded and run as a commercial archive repeats channel on Freeview. It does nothing well any more: news, sport, drama, entertainment - it's pretty clear that the consensus on here is that it is little more than a third-rate broadcaster.

While the new merged news channel is poor, I think it's fair to say that your post is FAR from the consensus here.

(13-06-2023, 07:16 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  The BBC isn't fit for purpose now. It should be completely defunded and run as a commercial archive repeats channel on Freeview. It does nothing well any more: breaking news, sport, drama, entertainment, the few live events it still has rights to - it's pretty clear that the consensus on here is that it is little more than a third-rate broadcaster.

BBC News has been severely undermined and hobbled by the poor decisions made -- without public consultation -- by its management. At the moment, it's a hot mess -- and I think many, if not most, here would agree with that, judging by the history of this thread. 

However, everything else you said is, in my opinion, boIIocks. 

...especially the notion that there's any kind of consensus with your views on here. 🤣

Poor decisions at an operational level are part of the problem, but so is the BBC's unwillingness to just come out and say "Because the government has once again cut our funding we can no longer afford to do both x and y, so something had to give."
[-] The following 9 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AndrewP, harshy, Independent, James2001, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail, matthieu1221, Nobby, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple

It's fine to think that the merged BBC News channel is an almighty embarrassing cockup while also thinking the BBC is vaulable and provides an important service- I imagine that's much more the consensus on here than the drivel that was posted. Not liking some things the BBC does doesn't mean people want them privatised/cut back/closed down or whatever other crap people come out with.

(13-06-2023, 07:16 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  The BBC isn't fit for purpose now. It should be completely defunded and run as a commercial archive repeats channel on Freeview. It does nothing well any more: breaking news, sport, drama, entertainment, the few live events it still has rights to - it's pretty clear that the consensus on here is that it is little more than a third-rate broadcaster.

I’d agree to a degree that the BBC news feels a shadow of its former self.  The new merged channel isn’t really satisfying any audiences expectations at the moment and I don’t think that’s the fault of anyone working on the newsroom floor who have had to deal with the outcome of massive cuts, reapply for their jobs and had to see colleagues leave. From outside it does look like lots of things haven’t been thought through properly and are slow to be addressed. It feels at the moment as its a temporary pop up news service. 

I couldnt disagree more strongly with. No one can touch them on live events. Look at the jubilee, funeral and coronation. Every time they step up to the plate. There have been some excellent dramas. Programmes like ghosts, where’s a family can sit together and watch. I will admit Saturday nights haven’t got that sparkle for me anymore but that made me rose tinted glasses of big break, generation game, house party and the lottery. That’s before you even think about bite size (a god send for a teacher), radio, the childrens department. 

carving up and selling the BBC would be another act of self harm wed would be doing to ourselves as a country. It is entwined in us. I’ve posted before that one of my biggest worries is when anyone thinks of the BBC they immediately think BBC news and forget all the amazing things it actually does do

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 6 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, benzj, Bungo Bill, DavidV, harshy, Roger Darthwell

Indeed, as many have stated. Our criticisms of BBC News doesn't mean we want it sold off. We just want it, as majorty funded by UK license fee payers to serve those exact people.
[-] The following 2 users Like freeview87's post:
  • benzj, JLav25

(13-06-2023, 06:54 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Despite the media saying stuff like “The city put in lockdown”, I don’t believe the cordons were anywhere near the BBC East Midlands base. They are on the eastern side of the city centre, the cordons were more west/north west sort of side. The main transport issue seemed to be that the main cordon was right across the middle section of the tram network meaning it was suspended entirely.

The studio may have not been in the cordon but it doesn't mean those that staff it weren't, or on the other side of the city.   And the story itself was within the cordon.

I think the issue here is more a police communication issue than a broadcaster issue - understandable why they released very little information until the facts were clearer, but also understandable how that lack of information is problematic too in an era where speculation takes on a truth of it's own.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, Rxtx

Just gathering some bits and bobs from different radio stations. It seems that Gem (part of the Hits Radio network) stayed local for an extra 3 hours, with breakfast presenters Jo Russell & Mark Colerangle staying on until 1pm.

I hope to post some stations shortly, with more following tomorrow.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBI45's post:
  • TVFan