Coverage of "major incident" in Nottingham city centre

12.50pm and the first BBC correspondent from BBC East Midlands arrives on scene with camera crew. Also, they are interviewing former BBC home affairs editor. Where’s the current one? All very weird and slow.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chud's post:
  • LDN, Northlad, thePineapple

Well speaking from outside the UK. For this many hours to have passed and the infuriatingly vague term "major incident" is the only information from authorities is amazing.

Im still struggling to get a clear picture of what actually happened. Its been mentioned by most of the worlds news organizations, but after all these hours we still dont understand the basic facts. 3 killed and 3 attempted to be hit by a van? How were the 3 people killed. Were they shot? Were they hit by the van? JUst now watching SkyNews .... they are saying nothing about the 3 injured people. What hospital were they taken to? THey are just saying the van "attempted" to hit them. On screen says " Another 3 in hospital after van tried to run them over" BUT THEY WERE HIT BY THE VAN. So that makes no sense. Instead it should say - 3 people were injured after being hit by a van.

Watching SkyNews and listening to the questions they are asking "witnesses" is just insane. They are just showing generic maps. I would expect by now they would be showing detailed maps of streets that are cordoned off. Full screen graphics showing the maybe the bus routes that are impacted or trams services shut. Anything that is providing actual information to the public. Instead of the weird questions like "What kind of city is Nottingham?" 5 hours later..."Whats the atmosphere like there?" Its crazy that the citizens are "rattled and devastated by this horrible incident". But none of citizens have a clue if they should be scared or what. But the police have failed to update the public with even the most basic information. Just shocking from the police service.

Speaking as a Nottingham local, the news had started breaking on social media at 5.30, but nothing on Breakfast until 8.30?! The cordons were up long before that and the bus routes were being diverted since at least 7. Sounds awful, but it actually cut some time off my commute, but I wish it hadn't.

Only seen bits of the coverage on BBC at work but it hasn't been particuarly impressive. Navtej Johal's coverage has been good, but the studio seemed confused.

Little surprised Anne Davies hasn't been rushed in for the Lunchtime bulletin, guessing she may present from the scene at 6.30.
[-] The following 5 users Like JLav25's post:
  • AndrewP, London Lite, mouseboy33, thePineapple, thomash79

Notts TV has a special update at 2.30pm:

twitter.com 

Can’t understand why the BBC could be so slow given how close their Nottingham studio is to the incident.
[-] The following 6 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • AndrewP, Northlad, Plutobug, thePineapple, thomash79, TVFan

(13-06-2023, 09:35 AM)harryb Wrote:  BBC News breaking away from Nicky Campbell with Rajini Vaidyanathan from the newsroom set

Another case of who?

Details still sketchy it seems but can't help but feel if it was in London BBC would have coverage on BBC1.
[-] The following 9 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, JLav25, Newsroom, Northlad, Plutobug, Superman1986, The_IT_Technician, thomash79, ViridianFan

(13-06-2023, 12:57 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Well speaking from outside the UK. For this many hours to have passed and the infuriatingly vague term "major incident" is the only information from authorities is amazing.

Im still struggling to get a clear picture of what actually happened. Its been mentioned by most of the worlds news organizations, but after all these hours we still dont understand the basic facts.  3 killed and 3 attempted to be hit by a van?  How were the 3 people killed. Were they shot? Were they hit by the van? JUst now watching SkyNews .... they are saying nothing about the 3 injured people. What hospital were they taken to? THey are just saying the van "attempted" to  hit them. On screen says " Another 3 in hospital after van tried to run them over" BUT THEY WERE HIT BY THE VAN. So that makes no sense. Instead it should say - 3 people were injured after being hit by a van.

Watching SkyNews and listening to the questions they are asking "witnesses" is just insane. They are just showing generic maps. I would expect by now they would be showing detailed maps of streets that are cordoned off. Full screen graphics showing the maybe the bus routes that are impacted or trams services shut. Anything that is providing actual information to the public. Instead of the weird questions like "What kind of city is Nottingham?" 5 hours later..."Whats the atmosphere like there?" Its crazy that the citizens are "rattled and devastated by this horrible incident". But none of citizens have a clue if they should be scared or what. But the police have failed to update the public with even the most basic information.  Just shocking from the police service.
As I said a few pages ago, the police's main job is to deal with the incident. When they're ready and they know the full details they'll do a press conference and give the details they can. 

Yes, it's intriguing to know what happened, and eventually you will know, but you have no need to know straight away. The incident is finished, there's no ongoing danger. Those who were involved in it will be in contact with the police, those that are disrupted by it do need to know the practicalities. The rest of us are rubberneckers and should just be patient. 

Before social media and rolling news people were quite happy waiting till the next news bulletin, our expectations have changed

(13-06-2023, 01:08 PM)JLav25 Wrote:  Speaking as a Nottingham local, the news had started breaking on social media at 5.30, but nothing on Breakfast until 8.30?! The cordons were up long before that and the bus routes were being diverted since at least 7. Sounds awful, but it actually cut some time off my commute, but I wish it hadn't.

Only seen bits of the coverage on BBC at work but it hasn't been particuarly impressive. Navtej Johal's coverage has been good, but the studio seemed confused.

Little surprised Anne Davies hasn't been rushed in for the Lunchtime bulletin, guessing she may present from the scene at 6.30.

This happened around 5:30 and they still havent had a press conference to update public or just run down the facts!? Wow thats just shocking mate.

Yeah its the police service job to investigate but they also cant declare a "Major Incident" and not provide any information to a rattle populace after hours and hours. Sorry they also have job to wider public as well when you shut down a major city and impact 1000s. I sorry i dont buy that argument at all. Most police services I would think should a Office of Public Information or a designated PIO.

LIke JLav25 said commutes have been disrupted. That is an area the media can use their sources to provide information. Instead of asking frankly stupid questions. Yeah it might be local (I would imagine the local radio stations are providing road updates) but at least it would look like there is actual information being disseminated instead of hours of endless speculation. Because due to the crickets and tumbleweeds from Notthingham Police there isnt much to go on.

(13-06-2023, 01:14 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  Notts TV has a special update at 2.30pm:

twitter.com 

Can’t understand why the BBC could be so slow given how close their Nottingham studio is to the incident.
It doesn't matter how close their office is, they have the same issues everyone else does in that they can't get past the road closures and cordons
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisdafur

Bit late to the party, but I found out about it when I woke at around 9 this morning and am shocked. Sky are going a great job as ever as I'm watching their coverage now. My thoughts go out to all those affected in Nottingham.

Yes that was the issue when the police evacuated Birmingham city centre due to a security alert (shortly after 7/7) - the Mailbox and BRMB were both inside the cordon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Superman1986