Coverage of "major incident" in Nottingham city centre

Surprised that EMT didn't use the sombre mix of the theme music on its title sequence tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • Superman1986

(13-06-2023, 02:10 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Rajini Vaidyanathan was a regular correspondent on the overnight slot, as she was based in the US for a while.

Also a well known name to many from her many years at Radio 1 Newsbeat where she was the safest of safe pairs of hands. (And the subject of a classic blooper with Jo Whiley absolutely butchering her name on the throw to a bulletin)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bilky asko

(13-06-2023, 06:01 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Talking about the ITV updates, when did the BBC drop their morning news summaries on BBC One. I can remember when they used to give the on the balcony overlooking the news room, and I am fairly sure I can remember Darren Jordan giving them in the berco studio but when I changed jobs I stopped having days off in the week
Last I recall is during the clamshell era when they had their own white and orange graphics as opposed to the black and red of the time. Don't recall if they continued beyond 2008 - think perhaps the afternoon bulletin survived a bit longer than the morning ones. Would be justification for their return now.

(13-06-2023, 06:30 PM)Andrew Wrote:  When there is a news story out in the regions they are always slow at getting pictures or people on the scene

Obviously it’s even worse now as you have unknown people sat in broom cupboards interviewing correspondents who look like they didn’t expect to be used on aor

Yes they’ll have the big names there now but they are always lacking at the start. Particularly poor when you consider East Midlands Today are based about 5 minutes from the scene
Although of course a city wide cordon, especially established overnight, makes access impossible.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • ViridianFan

I guess we will have to respectfully disagree. The public can (IMO should) be regularly updated on camera by police services to reassure the public by a PIO, especially when you have a MAJOR INCIDENT that shuts down the center of major city. And that can be done without jeopardizing the sensitives of criminal activities. Its regularly done in Canada and the US even with domestic terror events. Police are public servants, not a secret police agency, and IMO, public information comes with the territory today, especially in these days of mass/social media. Its 2023 and speculation and disinformation can abound wildly.

(13-06-2023, 06:50 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I guess we will have to respectfully disagree. The public can (IMO should) be regularly updated on camera by police services to reassure the public by a PIO, especially when you have a MAJOR INCIDENT that shuts down the center of major city. And that can be done without jeopardizing the sensitives of criminal activities. Its regularly done in Canada and the US even with domestic terror events.  Police are public servants, not a secret police agency, and IMO, public information comes with the territory today, especially in these days of mass/social media.  Its 2023 and speculation and disinformation can abound wildly.
The USA have very different rules on contempt of court.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • Brekkie

I am not sure coverage would be on BBC1 all day even if it was in London. I don’t remember hours of rolling coverage for the 2019 London Bridge incident or the 2020 Reading incident.

(13-06-2023, 06:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Last I recall is during the clamshell era when they had their own white and orange graphics as opposed to the black and red of the time.  Don't recall if they continued beyond 2008 - think perhaps the afternoon bulletin survived a bit longer than the morning ones.  Would be justification for their return now.

Although of course a city wide cordon, especially established overnight, makes access impossible.

Despite the media saying stuff like “The city put in lockdown”, I don’t believe the cordons were anywhere near the BBC East Midlands base. They are on the eastern side of the city centre, the cordons were more west/north west sort of side. The main transport issue seemed to be that the main cordon was right across the middle section of the tram network meaning it was suspended entirely.

Jackie Long is presenting C4 News from Nottingham.

I was in Nottingham today and whilst there was transport disruption, the BBC studios were, as far as I know, not cordoned off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omnipresent's post:
  • Superman1986

It makes you wonder how EMT would have coped if the industrial action was this week rather than last week?

(13-06-2023, 06:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Last I recall is during the clamshell era when they had their own white and orange graphics as opposed to the black and red of the time. Don't recall if they continued beyond 2008 - think perhaps the afternoon bulletin survived a bit longer than the morning ones. Would be justification for their return now.

The daytime summaries (both morning and afternoon) lasted until December 2012.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, Superman1986, ViridianFan