Eurovision Song Contest 2024

The problem here is that they banned Russia due to EBU violations, so this was an easy out for them. Isreal hasn’t violated anything with the EBU.

If they ban Isreal then it sets a precedent for banning countries every time there is a political conflict. This goes against the ethos of the contest.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
[-] The following 2 users Like radiorebel's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76

(10-04-2024, 10:39 AM)radiorebel Wrote:  The problem here is that they banned Russia due to EBU violations, so this was an easy out for them. Isreal hasn’t violated anything with the EBU.

If they ban Isreal then it sets a precedent for banning countries every time there is a political conflict. This goes against the ethos of the contest.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

They did not ban Russia for EBU violations, their statement announcing the removal said "in light of the unprecedented crisis in Ukraine, the inclusion of a Russian entry in this year’s Contest would bring the competition into disrepute." The removal of the broadcasters from the EBU followed shortly after, but they were separate actions.

www.ebu.ch 
[-] The following 3 users Like strollfan's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Happy2001, UTVLifer

(10-04-2024, 10:03 PM)strollfan Wrote:  They did not ban Russia for EBU violations, their statement announcing the removal said "in light of the unprecedented crisis in Ukraine, the inclusion of a Russian entry in this year’s Contest would bring the competition into disrepute." The removal of the broadcasters from the EBU followed shortly after, but they were separate actions.

www.ebu.ch 

I stand corrected, this is conflicting with the statement they put out today on their website. You are right and in that case, it is poor form from Eurovision.

eurovision.tv 

eurovision.tv 
[-] The following 1 user Likes radiorebel's post:
  • UTVLifer

(10-04-2024, 10:16 PM)radiorebel Wrote:  I stand corrected, this is conflicting with the statement they put out today on their website. You are right and in that case, it is poor form from Eurovision.

eurovision.tv 

eurovision.tv 

Agreed, the EBU have done a bad job of handling the issue. It's obviously difficult and not straight-forward for any party involved, but putting out false statements and doing FAQs where they don't answer multiple of the questions posed only intensifies the criticism.

They also made a rod for their own back with the line regarding Russia putting the contest into disrepute, it is a common talking point amongst the critics and boycotters and it is very difficult to disagree with the idea that this entire scandal is bringing the contest into disrepute.
[-] The following 5 users Like strollfan's post:
  • ethanjbrady, LTSC1980, radiorebel, Stuart, UTVLifer

(10-04-2024, 10:03 PM)strollfan Wrote:  They did not ban Russia for EBU violations, their statement announcing the removal said "in light of the unprecedented crisis in Ukraine, the inclusion of a Russian entry in this year’s Contest would bring the competition into disrepute." The removal of the broadcasters from the EBU followed shortly after, but they were separate actions.

www.ebu.ch 

And the Eurovision ban came after broadcasters complained about the EBU saying the day before that Russia would be allowed to complete.

I don't really think Russia being banned is the precedent a lot of people seem to think it is. Ultimately Russia was getting banned from absolutely every sporting and entertainment event going, facing extreme sanctions from almost every government in Europe (all but around 5 competing countries in 2022) and there were a number of broadcasters who were highly likely to have pulled out. It would have been extremely odd for them to allow Russia to continue competing.

This time there's none of that, not a single broadcaster has pulled out because of Israel, the country is still competing in sporting events, European governments aren't taking anywhere near the same line on Israel as they did with Russia and indeed they still have overall support.

Really it's a situation more akin to Russia invading Crimea in 2014, nothing was done then either. It is ultimately a competition between broadcasters so there isn't much the EBU can do, and there isn't much they can say either without pissing people off. Banning Israel would be a clearly political decision that would set them apart from other events/organisations in a way that Russia 2022 didn't.
[-] The following 5 users Like gottago's post:
  • Jamesypoo, JT95, Ma76, Score, UTVLifer

(11-04-2024, 09:45 AM)gottago Wrote:  I don't really think Russia being banned is the precedent a lot of people seem to think it is. Ultimately Russia was getting banned from absolutely every sporting and entertainment event going, facing extreme sanctions from almost every government in Europe (all but around 5 competing countries in 2022) and there were a number of broadcasters who were highly likely to have pulled out. It would have been extremely odd for them to allow Russia to continue competing.

This time there's none of that, not a single broadcaster has pulled out because of Israel, the country is still competing in sporting events, European governments aren't taking anywhere near the same line on Israel as they did with Russia and indeed they still have overall support.

Really it's a situation more akin to Russia invading Crimea in 2014, nothing was done then either. It is ultimately a competition between broadcasters so there isn't much the EBU can do, and there isn't much they can say either without pissing people off. Banning Israel would be a clearly political decision that would set them apart from other events/organisations in a way that Russia 2022 didn't.

I agree the perception of it is different, but the line about disrepute really does make the situation a lot more difficult for the EBU. It's hard to look at the situation that is unfolding and think that the boycott calls, the harassing of artists, the plans for multiple rallies against Eurovision in Malmo, and a laundry list of other items don't bring the contest into disrepute.
[-] The following 3 users Like strollfan's post:
  • Newshound47, Tim G, UTVLifer

(11-04-2024, 09:45 AM)gottago Wrote:  I don't really think Russia being banned is the precedent a lot of people seem to think it is. Ultimately Russia was getting banned from absolutely every sporting and entertainment event going, facing extreme sanctions from almost every government in Europe (all but around 5 competing countries in 2022) and there were a number of broadcasters who were highly likely to have pulled out. It would have been extremely odd for them to allow Russia to continue competing.

Exactly, and at the moment there doesn't seem to be the heat on sporting organisations about Israel competing in UEFA tournaments or the Olympics for example. That might get more attention as we get closer to the event, though I guess the big difference is that Israel is just a footnote in those events but has been a fairly major player in Eurovision.

To be honest people giving them all this attention plays into Israel's hands more than just letting things run their course - ultimately it's three minutes of a show which can easily be ignored if you feel so strongly and ultimately if they progress to the final is down to the audience, though I feel the more vocal people oppose them the more likely they will make the final. Ultimately whether they do or not and whether they participate or not will make not the slightest bit of difference to those directly affected in Gaza.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • UTVLifer

(11-04-2024, 03:14 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  To be honest people giving them all this attention plays into Israel's hands more than just letting things run their course - ultimately it's three minutes of a show which can easily be ignored if you feel so strongly and ultimately if they progress to the final is down to the audience, though I feel the more vocal people oppose them the more likely they will make the final. Ultimately whether they do or not and whether they participate or not will make not the slightest bit of difference to those directly affected in Gaza.

Though it is likely to be more than just the three minutes of Israel's entry that will be affected. Already in 2019 there were anti-Israel protests by Iceland's entry (and by Madonna's backing dancers), and I would think there is a strong possibility that other acts and maybe even spectators would happily do similar through the week this year.

www.euronews.com 

(11-04-2024, 03:14 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Exactly, and at the moment there doesn't seem to be the heat on sporting organisations about Israel competing in UEFA tournaments or the Olympics for example. That might get more attention as we get closer to the event, though I guess the big difference is that Israel is just a footnote in those events but has been a fairly major player in Eurovision.

UEFA did dodge a bullet with Israel getting knocked out in the first round of the recent play-offs for Euro 2024. Palestine's FA has complained to FIFA and UEFA, because the reasons giving for banning Russia were made rather ad-hoc and could easily include Israel. But, with Russia, all three of their play-off opponent were going to refuse to play Russa, but nobody has actually done that for Israel in 2024. Ultimately, any banning of Russia is an outlier amongst precedent in international sport.
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001, orange, UTVLifer

To be honest, it’s hardly a universal opinion that Israel are even in the wrong with what’s going on. I think the volume at which people express their support for Palestine means a lot who support Israel’s actions stay quiet.

In fact I’d go as far as to say I think Israel are significantly underpriced to take the win. Such is the depth of feeling on what’s going on, from both sides, I think they may well pick up a lot of votes from people supporting their actions. You can only vote for a country, you can’t vote against them.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • Ma76, steve, UTVLifer