Eurovision Song Contest 2024

(07-05-2024, 08:42 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  What is 25p out of curiosity? I’ve always wondered

Half the lines of the picture are drawn 50 times per second, so it’s 25 complete pictures per second. This is known as interlaced and technically described as 50i (or in some technical circles 25i).

Another way of making TV is to just capture 25 complete pictures per second - they’re still transmitted with half the lines each time. This is known as progressive, or in technical terms 25p. Or could be called a ‘filmic effect’ because it looks similar to the 24 frames per second of film. It’s what SVT have gone with tonight

It might sound like sending 50 half pictures per second or 25 complete ones wouldn’t be any different.

However, when using interlaced you capture some of the motion information each time half the lines on the screen are drawn. By only capturing 25 individual pictures per second about 1/3 of the motion is lost by comparison to 50 half pictures. And on a show like Eurovision it’s really obvious. It’s a creative decision to give the show a certain look and it’s very fashionable.

The good news is 4K broadcasts are 50 complete pictures per second. So better motion that interlaced pictures. Unfortunately it’s perfectly possible so shoot 25 pictures per second and send each twice.

Sweden sound more like Olly Alexander than Olly Alexander himself
[-] The following 2 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • GMc, UTVLifer

Some stunning productions so far. Incredible to think how much staging has moved on in the last decade or so.

Think the UK looked and sounded good. The standard’s high overall this year though.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • DeMarkay, Omnipresent, UTVLifer

Sweden's entry looks really good again this year.

They are on a roll with producing hit after hit in this contest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • UTVLifer

I think we can expect to see a decent placing for Sweden's Marcus & Martinus on Saturday.

Host country's have definitely been up their game in the last few years

(07-05-2024, 09:20 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  I think we can expect to see a decent placing for Sweden's Marcus & Martinus on Saturday.

Host country's have definitely been up their game in the last few years
I find it as flat as pancake

I prefer Croatia

They must be having a warm Spring in Malmo this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • UTVLifer

I feared that the whole of Portugal's song was going to be shot in portrait following that opening!
[-] The following 1 user Likes madmusician's post:
  • UTVLifer

Welcome back to Luxembourg after 31 years!

Lu-xem-bourg - must be one of those new eastern European countries, like that Australia. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes AxG's post:
  • UTVLifer