Will we regret the demise of linear TV channels ?

(01-08-2022, 09:04 PM)dbl Wrote:  I do think the focus will be on event TV, the kind of TV shows that can pull audiences from every demo into one room. (I mean look at last night's overnights for the Women's Euro 2022 - 17.6 mill!)

And the challenge for linear broadcasters is how to make non-live output as much event television as last night's Women's Euro 2022 final was.

That's a problem for soaps I think. The shift is for live TV, events, news, sport, reality & the big dramas. I can see a continued squeeze on soaps as the audience continues to erode.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • Rijowhi

(01-08-2022, 09:30 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  That's a problem for soaps I think.  The shift is for live TV, events, news, sport, reality & the big dramas.  I can see a continued squeeze on soaps as the audience continues to erode.

Know this will be a problem for itv as it's weeknights up to 9pm mostly soap outside of Tuesday 8pm and Thursday 8.30. if soap output reduced in future can only see an evening this morning show or some live filler between two half hour soaps sandwiched between news broadcasts 

But looking at bbc one with less soap it's schedule from 7 till 9 hardly brings in the ratings at all outside of as mentioned sport, MasterChef nothing really hits the mark ???
In fact outside itv's soaps up to 9pm there seems so few weeknight shows capable of bringing in good ratings now ..bake off, and ???
So can see why itv has the schedule it has and will try keep it as long as possible