2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

Yesterday's second semi-final was the most watched TV event in Australian history.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Happy2001

69.9% share, 7.2m average. Amazing figures for a country where football usually struggles - Channel 10 bought the A League rights a couple of years ago and had to demote it to a digital channel the ratings were so bad.

tvtonight.com.au 
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Happy2001, RhysJR

I thought there was a chance the Aussie ratings would beat the UK figure, but they did so significantly with 4.2m watching the BBC coverage.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

Not necessarily within the remit of this forum, but quite a cool setup by Getty which has captured a few stunning still images across the competition.

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

(17-08-2023, 11:20 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I thought there was a chance the Aussie ratings would beat the UK figure, but they did so significantly with 4.2m watching the BBC coverage. 

twitter.com 

The big question: how many preferred to watch it via the picture-in-picture on the News channel???
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I notice that both the BBC and ITV have (rightly so) given themselves bumper build ups to tomorrow’s World Cup final. BBC starting at 9:45am, while ITV are giving 95 minutes of build up by starting at 9:25am.

Makes a lot of sense to me for them to make a breakfast TV spectacle of it all.

(19-08-2023, 09:38 AM)JT95 Wrote:  I notice that both the BBC and ITV have (rightly so) given themselves bumper build ups to tomorrow’s World Cup final. BBC starting at 9:45am, while ITV are giving 95 minutes of build up by starting at 9:25am.

That 20 minute head start that ITV has may end up costing BBC One dearly in terms of the viewing figures.

(17-08-2023, 11:20 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I thought there was a chance the Aussie ratings would beat the UK figure, but they did so significantly with 4.2m watching the BBC coverage. 

twitter.com 

Not surprising if you factor in the time of day though? It's a bit apples and oranges.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Happy2001, JT95, m_in_m

(19-08-2023, 09:38 AM)JT95 Wrote:  I notice that both the BBC and ITV have (rightly so) given themselves bumper build ups to tomorrow’s World Cup final. BBC starting at 9:45am, while ITV are giving 95 minutes of build up by starting at 9:25am.

BBC1 are thrashing ITV whatever happens - what will have cost ITV most is not having a semi-final at all meaning the latter stages have become a BBC event.

I'm surprise though neither are splitting their broadcast into build-up and match to boost the average with a cut off around 10.45am.    Ultimately that extra 15 minutes for the BBC won't add much, but for ITV the extra 50 minutes gives them significantly more advertising to sell.

Will be interesting to see where it lands - I know I'm the other side of the border but I'm not seeing anywhere near the hype as we saw for the Euros last year - partly because of the time zone, partly because of it not being a home tournament.  Sadly the Premier League returning before it was over stole the headlines a bit and no match has had more than 5.2m viewers I think.    That said I suspect it'll land somewhere between the 11m who watched the Euros final last year and the 15m who watched the Rugby World Cup Final in 2003 in Australia in a similar time zone.

Despite my initial surprise too of ITV especially putting almost all matches on ITV1 rather than relying heavily on ITV4 and keeping their daytime shows intact I think it's been proven to be absolutely the right decision and it's great Womens football has broken through now to get comparable coverage on the international front at least - though frustrating that it'll mean football becomes even more dominant in the media landscape moving forward at the expense of other sports.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Newsroom, UTVLifer

Will the World Cup final be available in 4K UHD HDR ?

(19-08-2023, 11:37 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Despite my initial surprise too of ITV especially putting almost all matches on ITV1 rather than relying heavily on ITV4 and keeping their daytime shows intact I think it's been proven to be absolutely the right decision and it's great Womens football has broken through now to get comparable coverage on the international front at least - though frustrating that it'll mean football becomes even more dominant in the media landscape moving forward at the expense of other sports.
With ITV4 being a mens targeted channel, that probably made sense. (now, if it were women's beach volleyball Tongue )