2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

It's a pity there's been no UHD coverage of this tournament, in contrast to the men's event. I understand a true UHD feed doesn't actually exist - FIFA are producing the host feed in 1080p HDR. It would have been nice if the BBC could have upscaled this for an HDR iPlayer feed, but their policy is to only stream native UHD. ITV, of course, doesn't do UHD at all. The resulting 1080i pictures on both channels have felt a little soft and flat.

I'm aware that Gabby and co are out in Australia, does anyone know if ITV sent their presenters over for the final?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • UTVLifer

That's a shame, because even upscaled it would look better than the 1080i coverage, thanks to being progressive rather than interlaced.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • IanJRedman

(19-08-2023, 11:44 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  I'm aware that Gabby and co are out in Australia, does anyone know if ITV sent their presenters over for the final?

At the end of today’s ITV coverage of the 3rd place play off, they named their main pundits would be “here in the studio”, and they’ll be speaking to Ian Wright and Jill Scott who are in Australia of course.

Mark Pougatch has lasted much longer than most in the role of fronting ITV tournament football (since 2016 I think) but I wonder with Laura Woods star rising and ITV no longer showing regular England games whether we could see Laura oust him as the main anchor for Euro 2024.

(19-08-2023, 01:57 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Mark Pougatch has lasted much longer than most in the role of fronting ITV tournament football (since 2016 I think) but I wonder with Laura Woods star rising and ITV no longer showing regular England games whether we could see Laura oust him as the main anchor for Euro 2024.
Unlikely because of the her TNT commitments. I’m not even sure she will be doing anymore work for ITV after tomorrow.

I think it’s very unlikely she won’t be working for ITV. Premier League football tends not be happening on FA Cup weekends or whilst international tournaments are happening, which is basically the only major live football ITV has.

It’s normal for talent to work for more than one broadcaster these days, even lead talent like Lineker. It’s also going to be helpful for TNTs lead presenter to be as high profile as possible, and having her pop up on free to air TV is just going to help continue to build her profile.

Basically a secondary role on ITV would compliment her work at TNT Sports.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie

Exactly, and although they no longer have the men's fixtures they do have the womens, with Laura leading the coverage.

I think she's only doing Champions League for TNT - the Women's International weeks may occasionally clash I guess but shouldn't be too frequently an issue.

(19-08-2023, 04:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Exactly, and although they no longer have the men's fixtures they do have the womens, with Laura leading the coverage.

That could clash with her TNT duties at times through for the rest of the year the Lionesses are playing Friday - Tuesday (On non CL weeks.) during international call ups.

Yes, so at worse she'll miss the odd Tuesday match on one or the other - though just checking there are no direct clashes for the next few months at least - a few on the Thu/Fri or Sun/Mon in the same week but looks like UEFA avoid scheduling them on Champions League nights.

A Women's Nations League begins this autumn so not sure if they'll come under ITV's current rights or will be sold separately.